2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Instructors Doing Rec Takes !
Ben Higgins
May 18 2012, 03:00 PM
Instructor
I thought it would be fun if us instructors sometimes posted REC takes now and again. What do you reckon ?

Maybe we could make some kind of game / feature around it somehow.. ?

I've thrown down the gauntlet with a take of Emir Hot's Vinnie Moore lesson. Wow, that was hard !

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry584833

I started practising it months ago but stopped because I had other things to learn. Today, after a long break of not playing it, I decided to have a go at recording it. Now I feel like I don't need to work out for a week ! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 18 2012, 03:18 PM
GMC:er
Great job, man \m/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2012, 03:25 PM
Instructor
Great idea Ben!! Your take is really good! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 18 2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Thanks Guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
May 18 2012, 03:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Good lord. That was awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 18 2012, 03:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Indeed a good Record !

Slowly but surely everything will be alright biggrin.gif

One day when i am a bit older and succeed my van halen style lesson i try thie s one tongue.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 18 2012, 05:12 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Vibrato:11
Tapping: 11
Sweeping: 11+
Iron Maiden shirt: 20

Only found 2 problem areas, Mr. Higgins: from 0:07 until the end of the take, my eyes had trouble focusing.... the fingers became a blur. At 0:21, I took my guitars and put them in the trash.
Awesome, as always, Ben!

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 18 2012, 05:17 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great take buddy. If I have to criticize, I think you messed that last triplets bit. smile.gif

And you know...

If you had practiced this just a little more, you would have nailed it but for now its a 9 from me.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Just kidding awesome take. I wish I can make those legato/sweeps sound clean. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 18 2012, 05:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Oh no, I can't add a reply in the rec section laugh.gif

I see that you put a lot of work in this lesson, your sweeping has become really good lately biggrin.gif
I give you a 9 for one reason: Where are the takeouts???

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 18 2012, 06:05 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Amazing take! The lick at :30 - :36 sounds straight off the Time Odyssey album. smile.gif It would be AWESOME to see some sort of feature with instructors doing difficult lessons.

I'm curious to know if there were any particular lick that you struggled to overcome? I know I usually stumble on a part that makes a lesson come to a screeching halt.

On a side note: There is an interesting link in the original lesson with a instructor collab on that riff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 18 2012, 06:27 PM
Apprentice Roadie
If I recall correctly, wasn't Gabriel working on Muris' Extreme Neo-Classical?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 18 2012, 06:38 PM
Instructor
Thanks Guys, I was expecting a few 4's or 5's from people like Gitarrero maybe tongue.gif

Yes, there were a few sticky points and I will gladly tell which bits they were, the little b*****ds !! wink.gif

The descending lick from 0:21 to 0:22 is a thing of evil. Although, adding more picking to it makes it a bit easier to stay with the pace.. but only by the seat of your pants.

The sweep sequence from 0:36-0:38 was the most annoying lick out of the whole thing. Ironically, I found it one of the easier aspects when I came back to this lesson as I'd made some progress with thoe types of arpeggios.

The ascending pentatonic lick from 0:48 - 0:50 is also outrageuously difficult because it's so fast and it completely drains the stamina from your whole hand as it asks a lot of your ring and pinky fingers.

QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 18 2012, 06:27 PM) *

I'm sure he'll really appreciate you reminding everyone so publicly !! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2012, 07:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 18 2012, 02:27 PM) *

hahaha yeah! I'm still doing it. I haven't been playing it everyday because of working too much on composing. I'm still 10 bpm far for the alternate picking.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 18 2012, 07:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Ben, how could I give you a 4 or 5?? How can you even expect such a thing from me?
Don't you remember the geography thread??
Besides...I'm german...and noone who speaks german can be an evil man!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 18 2012, 07:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ May 18 2012, 07:23 PM) *
Besides...I'm german...and noone who speaks german can be an evil man!

That's true ! How could I ever forget ?? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
May 18 2012, 08:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's amazing how some guitar players take a piece of great music and play it as if it was just composed, by themselves. Sometimes even without a whammy bar and a neck pickup! tongue.gif I have just witnessed an example of this. Five times in a row, to be exact.

Not only do I like your take a lot, but I also really enjoy the concept of instructors playing instructors. More of this, please!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
May 18 2012, 09:17 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Awesome take Ben! You really took this piece and made it your own. Awesome job!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 19 2012, 07:08 AM
Instructor
Thanks again Guys !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 19 2012, 07:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
That was sublime!!!
You definitely nailed it biggrin.gif Awesome work man, you are a BEAST!!!
And Dance of Death shirt was sugar on top biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
May 19 2012, 10:11 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Wow man, this was pretty damn good smile.gif I think you guys all should do this more often smile.gif
As for grading, unfortunately I am not giving you a 10 Ben and that's because I am giving you
an 11 biggrin.gif

Cheers,
M.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:17 PM