Music Absent Of Emotion
The Uncreator
Sep 17 2011, 12:56 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
As much as the next person, I always love music to have a strong emotional output. This is subjective from person to person, and our opinions differ - but I think a lot of people dont realize that music can be completely and utterly devoid of emotion (in the writers eye at least) and still be music. I realized this only recently when I was reading some articles on classical music and it listed how many famous compositions were actually music essays, studies in technique and theory - and nothing more.

While I believe this to still be music, I think this actually supports the subjectivity of emotion in music - because some of these pieces are hailed as some of the most beautiful ever, yet to the composer they were an exploration of technique, theory, or maybe even curiosity?

Just a thought I have had for awhile, anyone care to chime in?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 17 2011, 01:08 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 16 2011, 08:56 PM) *
As much as the next person, I always love music to have a strong emotional output. This is subjective from person to person, and our opinions differ - but I think a lot of people dont realize that music can be completely and utterly devoid of emotion (in the writers eye at least) and still be music. I realized this only recently when I was reading some articles on classical music and it listed how many famous compositions were actually music essays, studies in technique and theory - and nothing more.

While I believe this to still be music, I think this actually supports the subjectivity of emotion in music - because some of these pieces are hailed as some of the most beautiful ever, yet to the composer they were an exploration of technique, theory, or maybe even curiosity?

Just a thought I have had for awhile, anyone care to chime in?

one person's trash, is another person's treasure....

I also feel too that a musician can become detached emotionally as well to some music they have created. I heard Elvis Costello say once that the song "everyday I write the book" had become a chore to perform and that he had grown to dispise it. The original meaning and emotion of the song was lost on him now. It was a crowd favourite but it had become like nails on a chaulk board to him so he stopped playing it for a while because he felt he couldn't convey the song emotionally anymore.

I think about that with bands that have been around for many many years. The crowd has their favourites they want to hear but at some point it must get mind numbing to play the same songs over and over for so long and still make it interesting to play.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 17 2011, 05:21 AM
Learning Roadie
I can see what y'all mean. And I know people who hate even just a little distortion in guitar. And I wonder how those bands can even stand playing their songs over and over.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2011, 09:55 AM
Instructor
I agree with your thoughts. That's the reason why we can say that we like or not a piece of music but we never can say that something is good or bad.. because music is art and art is subjective. Something that could be noise for me could be the most beautiful piece of music for any other person.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 17 2011, 10:30 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think it was John Tavener who said that his aim was to remove himself completely from his classical composions in order that you could hear God.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:28 AM