12ax7 Tubes,brands?
Muris Varajic
Jan 22 2008, 05:53 PM
Instructor
Ok,I ordered 8 new ElectroHarmonix 12ax7 tubes for my Triaxis,
just wanna be sure that I have everything solved right.

Now,is there a big difference between brands like EH,Tesla,JJ,GrooveTubes,Mesa etc?
I'm talking only about preamp tubes like 12ax7.

C'mon you tube freaks,I need some info here biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 22 2008, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 22 2008, 11:53 AM) *
Ok,I ordered 8 new ElectroHarmonix 12ax7 tubes for my Triaxis,
just wanna be sure that I have everything solved right.

Now,is there a big difference between brands like EH,Tesla,JJ,GrooveTubes,Mesa etc?
I'm talking only about preamp tubes like 12ax7.

C'mon you tube freaks,I need some info here biggrin.gif

There's a HUGE difference. For starters, I'd recommend staying as far away from Chinese made tubes as possible. For the most part, they're very brittle and tinny sounding, and especially in the case of preamp tubes the distortion is very harsh sounding. But, since you've already ordered the tubes, it's a little late to stay away from them now, since EH buys their tubes from China.

Next, JJ and Tesla are essentially the same thing. JJ just picked up the old design specs and the old Tesla manufacturing facility in (I think) Yugoslavia. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with JJ tubes. The ONLY problem I've had out of them is that they tend to go microphonic rather quickly, but that's a small price to pay for the tone. I'm probably going to sound like a JJ tube pimp, but I bought my 6505 + head a little over a year or so ago, and to be honest, when it arrived, I wasn't all that impressed with it, so I went out and bought a bunch of FX to improve the tone a little. That didn't work, so I decided to re-tube it. I opened up the back and saw that the preamp tubes were all ElectroHarmonix. (12ax7's) I went to www.eurotubes.com and talked with the guy that runs it about what sort of tone I was looking for, ordered what he suggested and after I retubed, the difference was like night and day!

Anyway, like I said, I'd suggest staying as far away from Chinese made tubes as possible. Stick with European (Russian) or American made tubes. I don't think there are any American companies producing tubes atm, (I might be wrong)but you can find em floating around. Also, check the manufacturer of the tubes. Just because the manufacturer is a US or European country, doesn't mean their tubes are made there. Most companies just get blank tubes and put their logos on 'em.

And I'm sure there will probably be a person or two who will completely disagree with that, but that's my opinion on the subject. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 22 2008, 06:41 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Not a big difference, but different flavours - Electroharmonix are usually pretty good from what I have heard, and I think it is less important for preamp tubes anyway, but stick with good brands for best results!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Jan 22 2008, 08:05 PM
I upgrate my Behringer Ultragain by just replacing the stock 12ax7 tubes with: EI Elite 12AX7EG Telefunken clones, And suddenly got a highend PreAmp - big difference to me.

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 22 2008, 08:27 PM
Instructor
As far as I've heard from hi-fi experts, the best tubes are Tesla giving the price\performance ratio.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 22 2008, 09:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
An old Trabant with 4 chinees cylinders will sound almost the same as an old traband with 4 JJ sylinders after the motor was fixed, it won't sound like a Dodge Charger V8 laugh.gif
Matched JJ's will probably sound good (or say better then, I'm not judging that...) over a longer period of time.

Marshall and Boogie use Chineese tubes, probably saves them quite a bit of money while only 1% of the users can spot the difference anyway wink.gif I know I can't

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 22 2008, 10:44 PM
Instructor
Thanks for input guys smile.gif

I thought as well that it's good to stay way from chinese tube,
EH is russian as far as I know,says on the box unsure.gif

And MickeM claims that even Mesa buys from chinese,
now that's something to think about...
If Mesa does that,then who doesn't? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jan 22 2008, 11:42 PM
In my humble opinion (and experience), I have retubed several times with different 12ax7's in the same amp..Ive had it for years. I never noticed that huge of a difference between brands tone wise....I feel that that the gain varies as much as the tone when using different tubes. Neither of which is that big of the change.
Peace.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 23 2008, 02:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Jan 22 2008, 11:42 PM) *
In my humble opinion (and experience), I have retubed several times with different 12ax7's in the same amp..Ive had it for years. I never noticed that huge of a difference between brands tone wise....I feel that that the gain varies as much as the tone when using different tubes. Neither of which is that big of the change.
Peace.

Yeah,I replaced preamp tubes in my old Mesa 2:50 few times,from Mesa to EH and then to EI.
Didn't notice much difference.
Of course that was poweramp and preamp tubes don't have major role.
But since Triaxis is a preamp I was wondering...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 23 2008, 10:29 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 23 2008, 02:27 AM) *
Yeah,I replaced preamp tubes in my old Mesa 2:50 few times,from Mesa to EH and then to EI.
Didn't notice much difference.
Of course that was poweramp and preamp tubes don't have major role.
But since Triaxis is a preamp I was wondering...

When you got the pre amp tubes changed in the Triaxis let us know what happened with the sound, ok? smile.gif

Or even better, if it's not too demanding of course, make a short recording now to compare with at the exact same settings when you got the new tubes in wink.gif I think that would be valuable to lots of people here... at least you'd get my attention, there's one already laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 23 2008, 10:32 AM

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jan 23 2008, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 23 2008, 10:29 AM) *
When you got the pre amp tubes changed in the Triaxis let us know what happened with the sound, ok? smile.gif

Or even better, if it's not too demanding of course, make a short recording now to compare with at the exact same settings when you got the new tubes in wink.gif I think that would be valuable to lots of people here... at least you'd get my attention, there's one already laugh.gif

Great Idea.
It would be really cool if several people would do this next time they retube for comparison purposes.
I just changed from el34 to 6l6 tubes in my triamp and had it rebiased. I really perfer the 6l6 power tube...warmer sounding by far, especially on single notes.

This post has been edited by USAMAN: Jan 23 2008, 12:45 PM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 23 2008, 02:04 PM
Lets go fishing!
I would personally be tempted to go for the Mesa Tubes, Chinese made or not they usual rock biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 23 2008, 02:06 PM
EH are amazing Tubes. I use nothing else.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 24 2008, 03:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 23 2008, 02:06 PM) *
EH are amazing Tubes. I use nothing else.

Thanks mate biggrin.gif that's relief wink.gif

MickeM,main thing I'm changing tubes is cause I have some hum and noise,
without any Noise Reduction tho.
It might be tubes,there weren't new when I bought unit....

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
mmasters
Feb 10 2008, 06:50 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 24 2008, 03:14 AM) *
Thanks mate biggrin.gif that's relief wink.gif

MickeM,main thing I'm changing tubes is cause I have some hum and noise,
without any Noise Reduction tho.
It might be tubes,there weren't new when I bought unit....

It really depends on the amp. I had a class A/B Rivera where differences in preamp tubes weren't overly noticable and EHs had a pretty good distorted sound and an ok clean. Now with my Groove Tubes Class A amps the difference is greater (as the tubes are driven harder). I've had the best results with JJs or Groove tubes myself for preamp tubes. For power tubes it's JJs all the way. For sound and value there is nothing that compares.

Speaking of tube amps I'm only a Class A guy now!! I can't do a class A/B tube amps anymore!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 10 2008, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mmasters @ Feb 10 2008, 06:50 PM) *
It really depends on the amp. I had a class A/B Rivera where differences in preamp tubes weren't overly noticable and EHs had a pretty good distorted sound and an ok clean. Now with my Groove Tubes Class A amps the difference is greater (as the tubes are driven harder). I've had the best results with JJs or Groove tubes myself for preamp tubes. For power tubes it's JJs all the way. For sound and value there is nothing that compares.

Speaking of tube amps I'm only a Class A guy now!! I can't do a class A/B tube amps anymore!

I see,thanks for info. smile.gif

Actually I ordered retube kit of JJ's from Eurotube.com,
kind a set of 5 tubes,they are not all the same model tho cause sockets on Triaxis have deferent purposes.
Hope it'll work nice,it shall be here soon. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:22 PM