Decent Pa System, In your experience, what would you recommend?
SirJamsalot
Sep 21 2011, 09:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey you gigging professionals --

I'm starting a rock trio band and realized that I'm under equipped. I know next to nothing about PA systems and what the minimum requirements I would need to be able to sing thru a PA over my guitar, bass and drums for small things like party's and perhaps small venues that do not have a PA system, as well as our rehearsal studio.

Anyone have any good recommendations on this front? Like, how powerful of an amp, and what sized speakers (12", 15" + horns)?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 22 2011, 09:48 PM
Instructor
There are lots of options mate, whats your budget for this one, at least a rough figure..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 22 2011, 11:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, amazingly - I found a Carvin on sale for $400. I've been speaking with a lot of musicians on this subject, and they seem to think this is pretty good deal, so I'm going to be purchasing this sometime this week.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/sing...800L&cid=12

my budget is around the $500 mark. I think this will do nicely for my needs.
Thanks!

Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 23 2011, 03:01 AM
Instructor
a Carvin for $400 definitely a good deal. My friend just got one and it sounded incredible!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 23 2011, 03:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
I know your are just starting, but that unit will only have one moniter mix
and I can almost gaurante that that will be the first thing your band will not like
I have used Carvin and think you will be pleased with their reliability
but I would try to find something with 2 moniter sends
some music shops will sell older models ( that were rentals) to make room new for the new
you might make a good find ?

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Sep 23 2011, 03:44 AM

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 23 2011, 03:54 AM
Instructor
carvin rocks man, i think you will love it!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 23 2011, 02:42 PM
Instructor
That's awesome man, Carvin is indeed a good choice. Not sure what model you are taking, I've played just 10 days ago on a rack-mounted Carvin powered mixer. It had two effects even, very nice mixer. Speakers were also not big, very decent, and had enough bass for the size. I think it's road worthy equipment, good investment smile.gif Post some pics when you get it smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 23 2011, 06:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 22 2011, 07:41 PM) *
I know your are just starting, but that unit will only have one moniter mix
and I can almost gaurante that that will be the first thing your band will not like
I have used Carvin and think you will be pleased with their reliability
but I would try to find something with 2 moniter sends
some music shops will sell older models ( that were rentals) to make room new for the new
you might make a good find ?

Good thoughts - worth considering. thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 23 2011, 10:24 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
That's tough in a way. What I think, for the rehearsalroom, only for vocals, it's enough. For a gig, only with your backline, it'll sound crap. It'll handle the hight frequencies, as well as in the rehearsal room.
But...
Here's the problem. It's good for vocals with a couple 12" on a stick. But for your gig to sound good you have to mike the bass and some of the drums. Even if it's a small gig. People to the left, to the right and in the middle will hear different things if you don't mike. Only 2x250W will not handle the bass frequencies, there's where the juice goes and it's just not enough.

For a larger gig, with backline only + vocals through PA, you have to crank the backline and you'll only end up with a headache, a bad hearing and a failed gig.

PA's are not really my thing so I may be a little bit off, that if you want a PA for gigs you have to aim for a PA that size, it'll work for the rehearsal room. But not the other way around. Anyway, a power (-mixer) of _at least_ 2x800, a couple of full range speakers and a sub will take you far.
Further on you'll be needing a monitor to sing proper.

Another problem. Does the singer take the cost entirly? YES of course! biggrin.gif
One sensible option would be to get that small Carvin unit for the rehearsals, only vocals, and rent a good size PA for gigs. You know, a great setup would add a zero to your budget.
Speaking of sensible, I'm guessing Sensible Jones would have great input on the topic.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 24 2011, 01:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 23 2011, 02:24 PM) *
That's tough in a way. What I think, for the rehearsalroom, only for vocals, it's enough. For a gig, only with your backline, it'll sound crap. It'll handle the hight frequencies, as well as in the rehearsal room.
But...
Here's the problem. It's good for vocals with a couple 12" on a stick. But for your gig to sound good you have to mike the bass and some of the drums. Even if it's a small gig. People to the left, to the right and in the middle will hear different things if you don't mike. Only 2x250W will not handle the bass frequencies, there's where the juice goes and it's just not enough.

For a larger gig, with backline only + vocals through PA, you have to crank the backline and you'll only end up with a headache, a bad hearing and a failed gig.

PA's are not really my thing so I may be a little bit off, that if you want a PA for gigs you have to aim for a PA that size, it'll work for the rehearsal room. But not the other way around. Anyway, a power (-mixer) of _at least_ 2x800, a couple of full range speakers and a sub will take you far.
Further on you'll be needing a monitor to sing proper.

Another problem. Does the singer take the cost entirly? YES of course! biggrin.gif
One sensible option would be to get that small Carvin unit for the rehearsals, only vocals, and rent a good size PA for gigs. You know, a great setup would add a zero to your budget.
Speaking of sensible, I'm guessing Sensible Jones would have great input on the topic.

Thanks for the input - it's a trio (guitar & vocals = me, bass and drums). So being the singer, I'm taking the hit $$ haha, you got that right smile.gif I think based on power requirements, something like that will run me into $1,500 USD range, which I can't afford, so renting a setup for a small show might be the best option as you say. It's all new to me, but with all the feedback I've been gettin as of late, I'm learning quite abit. Maybe I'll research & write up what I've gleaned for others to consider.

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:22 PM