Finger Lock!
mattacuk
Oct 17 2008, 07:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
I havent had this since I first started playing! I used to get finger lock in my fretting hand back when I first started practicing. By finger lock I mean once of my fingers locks into a "claw" shape and I cant move it until i have had it in hot water for ten minutes. huh.gif

For the past couple years I have had zero problems with either of my hands but recently my "pointer" finger on my PICKING hand has been giving me discomfort - specifically the joint where my knuckle is, and this is only very recent , maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

Tonight i was practicing the same as always my my pointer locked up and I couldnt move it at all unsure.gif I have no idea why this has started happening, im picking nice and clean and nothing seems to have changed.

I remember sorting this problem out in my fretting hand by warming up before I practice, but Im not sure what to do about this.

Any sensible suggestions welcome smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 17 2008, 07:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I never heard about this problem before...I seems serious to me though huh.gif I would suggest resting for few days and maybe consulting a doctor...I mean , I would freak out if I couldn't move my finger.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 17 2008, 07:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Wow, I thought you were having problems on the fretting hand at first, but on the picking hand? Are you playing ultra-fast AP licks lately? The only time I had that happening to me was one day after playing arpeggios over barre chords for a long time, my finger was paralised for few minutes, I got scared.

You must be putting a lot of tension in the finger to make that happen Matt, maybe unconciously, try to relax a bit... and take a rest. Better stay a couple days away from the guitar than making it more serious and having to stay away for much longer. Oh, and if it continues: go see a doctor!, better safe than sorry mate!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 17 2008, 07:16 PM
GMC:er
I know that mustaine takes sharkfin carthilliage or something against artiritis:D

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 17 2008, 07:22 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 17 2008, 07:13 PM) *
Wow, I thought you were having problems on the fretting hand at first, but on the picking hand? Are you playing ultra-fast AP licks lately? The only time I had that happening to me was one day after playing arpeggios over barre chords for a long time, my finger was paralised for few minutes, I got scared.

You must be putting a lot of tension in the finger to make that happen Matt, maybe unconciously, try to relax a bit... and take a rest. Better stay a couple days away from the guitar than making it more serious and having to stay away for much longer. Oh, and if it continues: go see a doctor!, better safe than sorry mate!

I am also wondering if i have subconciously started putting to much tension into my picking hand. I remember this all started when i did a NeoClassical lesson a few weeks back.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 17 2008, 09:26 PM
Instructor
You better go see some doctor mate, fingers don't just lock themselves for nothing...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 17 2008, 11:00 PM
Instructor
I would go with doctor too,
finger lock is not typical pain issue,who knows what's behind all that.
I get pain in fingers pretty often if I practice too much
but it's normal I would say,overburning.
But lock...I would visit a doctor. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 18 2008, 08:00 AM
Lets go fishing!
ok thanks guys, I will see the Doc smile.gif I probably need more fish oil or something! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Oct 18 2008, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 17 2008, 08:07 PM) *
Hmm I never heard about this problem before...I seems serious to me though huh.gif I would suggest resting for few days and maybe consulting a doctor...I mean , I would freak out if I couldn't move my finger.

haha Freak out for sure!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 18 2008, 08:45 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Ian Bushell @ Oct 18 2008, 08:35 AM) *
haha Freak out for sure!!!

It is freaky too !! ohmy.gif I start to panic i might be like it forever laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:59 AM