Admitted Bad Habits
Jerommmah
Sep 3 2007, 01:12 AM
GMC:er
* I realized I accidently posted this topic in the wrong place and I can't figure out how to move it! Sorry!

Hi everyone, my name is Jeremy and I just joined today. I am 23 and have been playing guitar since age 6. I just wanted to ask a question about bad habits.

#1 When I first learned to play guitar my fingers were too small to reach alot of chords positions. The one that gave the most problems was like F5 or powerchords on the top of the neck. I had to substitute my pinky finger for the ring finger. I eventually fixed that when I grew, but sometimes I still find myself occasionally using my pinky for power chords in situations where I know I won't need to add any additional notes just because it feels comfortable (after practicing that way for years). This is only with power chords. Anyone else ever had this problem? I don't feel it has been limiting me, but maybe I am missing out on something.

#2 When I learned to bend strings I bent them down (towards the high E string) instead of up. I would only bend up on the high E string obviously b/c it would fly off the fretboard. I really haven't got too into speed metal type soling so I am not sure if this is something I should work on as I noticed in the lessons (and other guitar players) it is done differently. Is this a problem?

I can't wait to take my playing further! This site is great, Kris I like your style man! Rock on guys!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jerommmah: Sep 3 2007, 01:14 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Sep 3 2007, 01:29 AM
Welcome smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 3 2007, 01:58 AM
Welcome.

I've always used my pinky for power chords, never used anything else. I dont see any problem with it.

About the bending, I dont see that as a problem either, not that I can think of atleast.
Just look at Doyle Bramhall II, he plays with the strings upside down smile.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 3 2007, 01:59 AM

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 3 2007, 02:20 AM
I also use use my pinky for power chords unless I need it to do a hammer on or something, and there is absoultly no diffrence if you bend the string upwards or downwards... So, you don't have any problem! keep rockin!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Jerommmah
Sep 3 2007, 02:56 AM
Cool, now I know I am not missing out on anything. Thanks guys.

+Quote Post
chast
Sep 3 2007, 03:17 AM
Learning Roadie
I dont use my pinky if I play powerchords, just because it feels better for me. But as you can see there are many people who use their pinky wink.gif
My teacher also does, Petrucci does, and much more smile.gif
And as Gen already said it makes no difference how you bend the string, just do it how you like smile.gif
As long as you bend it to the right pitch.

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 3 2007, 03:35 AM
Learning Roadie
I bend down on the E and A strings, all the other strings I bend up on just because I find it easier. But if it works for you, then it works smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Victafor
Sep 3 2007, 03:42 AM
i bend down on the E A and d string and bend up on the G B and high e strings

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Sep 8 2007, 09:34 PM
think Hetfield also uses his little finger for power chords, me too (tho the latter is proof of nothing:) ). There are just some occasions when it is easier and quicker to use 1 than the other depending on where ur hand was befor the chord and where it needs to go afterwards...

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Sep 8 2007, 09:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:21 AM