What Do You Guys Think, syncin audio vs. recording all at once
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2008, 12:15 PM
Instructor
What do you guys think? Is it better to record video and audio (via audio input on camera) together on miniDV tape and then just download it to PC, or to record live stream via firewire cable on the computer and audio separately?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 12 2008, 01:37 PM
Instructor
I play the backing on a laptop and then I simultaneously record video through s-video directly to computer and audio through mixer to computer, then I export the audio to cubase, arrange the backing to the main take in order to preserve the timing, edit it as necessary and then return it all together to vegas
smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 12 2008, 02:10 PM
Instructor
I use video streaming and use the camera microphone to record audio so the process looks like this: i listen to backing track using headphones and record video with audio through firewire.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 12 2008, 02:28 PM
Instructor
you can use video streaming through firewire if both video and audio go from camera, i tried firewire streaming with audio through mixer but then it is completely out of sync, so for me s-video works just fine smile.gif

and recently I bought two SHURE PG 81 condenser mics to record acoustic guitar in stereo, so I'll have to use the earphones as well, bought some SENNHEISER CX300, they block outside noise very well biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 12 2008, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Since I haven't been using mics for recording I have all monitoring from monitors,reasonable.

I record video on camera's HD and audio straight into Cubase,where whole backing is already made.
Trying to push both record buttons at the same time as quicker as possible. wink.gif
Then I export full audio(take and backing mixed together) but I always do small mastering thing
on main output channel.
So I guess recording audio straight on miniDV tape with video would exclude this option.
Easier to do syncing,absolutely. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 12 2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor
I have a question for you guys smile.gif

I have M-Audio 2496 audio interface, and when I record video and audio together in my ATI program, I have a good quality audio, the same happens when I record to Windows Sound Recorder, anotherwords, the sound is identical to the mixer's output, but when I record (or monitor) in Cubase the audio quality is much lower (using M-Audio ASIO)

And I tried a demo version of ProTools which I got with my audio card and the the quality is ok, so it seem it's something wrong in how Cubase manages the input signal, does anyone has any similar experience?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 12 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Might be M-Audio ASIO but that really sounds odd blink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 12 2008, 03:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 12 2008, 08:38 AM) *
Since I haven't been using mics for recording I have all monitoring from monitors,reasonable.

I record video on camera's HD and audio straight into Cubase,where whole backing is already made.
Trying to push both record buttons at the same time as quicker as possible. wink.gif
Then I export full audio(take and backing mixed together) but I always do small mastering thing
on main output channel.
So I guess recording audio straight on miniDV tape with video would exclude this option.
Easier to do syncing,absolutely. smile.gif

That's exactly how I do it Muris...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2008, 07:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dejan @ Feb 12 2008, 02:55 PM) *
I have a question for you guys smile.gif

I have M-Audio 2496 audio interface, and when I record video and audio together in my ATI program, I have a good quality audio, the same happens when I record to Windows Sound Recorder, anotherwords, the sound is identical to the mixer's output, but when I record (or monitor) in Cubase the audio quality is much lower (using M-Audio ASIO)

And I tried a demo version of ProTools which I got with my audio card and the the quality is ok, so it seem it's something wrong in how Cubase manages the input signal, does anyone has any similar experience?

Maybe the resolution of your project in cubase and native resolution of the interface don't match. Try reinstalling drivers and adjust the resolution of both the device and cubase project to 44100. Also check your line in in cubase mixer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 17 2008, 11:35 AM
Instructor
I use River Past Cam Do, and select "what-you-hear" as recording input, and set it automatically to compress to lame VBR mp3, and the video to 950kbit divx.

So, for backing tracks i export them as wave (to avoid double mp3-compression) from Cubase, and play along to it as the video records.

Saves some time synching it aftwards.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2008, 02:50 PM
Instructor
That's interesting solution Trond, I'll try that. Unfortunately I don't have the option to record stereo mix from toneport. Maybe if I turn on my integrated soundcard or make a bus in Cubase for that.

PS What program do you use for video Trond?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 17 2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 17 2008, 02:50 PM) *
That's interesting solution Trond, I'll try that. Unfortunately I don't have the option to record stereo mix from toneport. Maybe if I turn on my integrated soundcard or make a bus in Cubase for that.

PS What program do you use for video Trond?

Integrated soundcard will work fine for that.

I use the same tool (Riverpast Cam Do) for recording both audio and video, then trimming it in VirtualDub.
I'm still a newbie at this video-recording business though.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2008, 09:46 PM
Instructor
Is there a way to record stereo mix with Toneport anyone?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:24 AM