2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Straplocks - I Need Your Help!
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 24 2011, 04:01 PM
Instructor
Guys, I am having trouble with the straplocking system on my baritone guitar. It never ever stays screwed, maybe because I move a lot when I play (jumping and headbanging) but I find this a serious issue as I need the guitar in perfect shape for next weeks big gig.

What would you suggest, aside from totally changing the system? I can't use a bigger screw, as the metal part in which the locking goes into is exactly made to fit that screw cap size.

Thank you in advance smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 24 2011, 04:06 PM
GMC:er
Got a picture? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jun 24 2011, 04:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
glue

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2011, 04:32 PM
Instructor
Hmm, I wish I could help with this Cosmin.. I'd be tempted to take it to someone with experience.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 24 2011, 04:34 PM
Instructor
Will take a picture tonight at rehearsals and post it in this thread smile.gif thank you guys!!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 24 2011, 04:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Needs woodwork.
Or glue.

Cheap guitar?

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 24 2011, 04:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Two things you need, toothpicks and wood glue. Its very simple, take the toothpicks, put some wood glue on them, and stick them in the hole. You may have to shave them down the long way, i.e. from top to bottom, in order for you to fit the screw in. Don't put too much wood glue on them. When you put the screw back in it should be a tight fit. Let it sit for at least a day or two before you use the strap again.

Essentially what you're doing is molding a new hole. The wood glue by itself won't hold it in, but combined with the toothpicks it should be tighter than a snakes ass biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Jun 24 2011, 04:40 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2011, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 24 2011, 04:39 PM) *
tighter than a snakes ass biggrin.gif

I'm sure that's what Cosmin was looking for.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2011, 04:55 PM
Instructor
It happens to me a lot as well, and I have Dunlop straplocks, not sure what you have, but I guess the screw is very similar. I did this job probably around 15-20 times so far.

The way I solved the problem (although it will reappear after a while, but you can always repeat the process) is by following the Mudbone's "snake ass" method biggrin.gif

For a quick fix, you can always use toothpicks only, and add any glue if you have it around. The only difference was that I used super glue, I found wooden glue having too little impact, the screw stayed in place for couple of gigs, and then the whole was big again.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 24 2011, 05:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
I used to hang out with the guitar techs at a local shop - pretty close friends - basically what they did for stripped out holes in wood was to re-drill the stripped hole large enough for a wooden dowel, then they would glue and knock the dowel into the over sized hole and let it set. Then they would re drill the hole using a bit that was as big as the shaft of the screw, but smaller than the actual width of the screw so that the threads could bite in for a snug fit without the metal shaft of it over-compressing and crushing the dowel. I don't know what kind of wood dowel is best for that though.

But get a tech to do it since they've (hopefully) done this sort of thing enough times to do it right. I'd hate to see a split body - once wood goes, it goes.

Cheers.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 24 2011, 05:40 PM
Instructor
Slightly longer and thicker screw + glue, and problem is solved ! I had the same problem on several guitars and have always worked this way - lifetime warranty wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 24 2011, 09:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 24 2011, 03:35 PM) *
Needs woodwork.
Or glue.

Cheap guitar?

The Ibanez MMM Mike Mushok Signature smile.gif i wouldn't have expected it to let me down like this honestly... I have too perform 2 jumps with the guitar in the show on July the 2nd, and thus i need it to be as steady as it goes..

Thank you guys! smile.gif I'll give the snake ass method a go tomorrow smile.gif))))

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 24 2011, 09:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd plug the hole. I think a good way is to stuff it with a wood filler, plastic padding. There's one made for it, becomes even harder than wood. Fill the hole, dry, drill, screw.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 25 2011, 06:05 AM
Learning Roadie
I hope you get this resolved, Cosmin. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 25 2011, 12:54 PM
Instructor
Best of luck with the show! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 25 2011, 01:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 25 2011, 11:54 AM) *
Best of luck with the show! smile.gif

Thank you mate!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 26 2011, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 24 2011, 11:55 AM) *
It happens to me a lot as well, and I have Dunlop straplocks, not sure what you have, but I guess the screw is very similar. I did this job probably around 15-20 times so far.

The way I solved the problem (although it will reappear after a while, but you can always repeat the process) is by following the Mudbone's "snake ass" method biggrin.gif

For a quick fix, you can always use toothpicks only, and add any glue if you have it around. The only difference was that I used super glue, I found wooden glue having too little impact, the screw stayed in place for couple of gigs, and then the whole was big again.

Ivan makes a great point, regular wood glue might not provide the most strength. Thats why you should see if you can get your hands on some industrial wood glue. Theres some industrial wood glues out there that are so strong that it could possibly keep the leading members of Pink Floyd stuck together.

Also instead of using toothpicks, you could try using slivers off of a drum stick, as hickory is a very strong and dense wood, much more so than a toothpick.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 26 2011, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 26 2011, 03:04 PM) *
Ivan makes a great point, regular wood glue might not provide the most strength. Thats why you should see if you can get your hands on some industrial wood glue. Theres some industrial wood glues out there that are so strong that it could possibly keep the leading members of Pink Floyd stuck together.

Also instead of using toothpicks, you could try using slivers off of a drum stick, as hickory is a very strong and dense wood, much more so than a toothpick.

Wow biggrin.gif thanks man! biggrin.gif heheh

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 26 2011, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 26 2011, 05:04 PM) *

I heard that it's great to use drum sticks of a really fat and sweaty drummer, because the grease from rehearsals and gigs really makes the wood sturdy over time cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 26 2011, 06:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 26 2011, 06:51 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 26 2011, 01:17 PM) *
I heard that it's great to use drum sticks of a really fat and sweaty drummer, because the grease from rehearsals and gigs really makes the wood sturdy over time cool.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:13 AM