2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Am I Lacking The Power Of Rock?
slak
Feb 24 2008, 06:34 PM
GMC:er
I've been playing the guitar for about almost a year now and, I have never broken a string. It's getting to the point where I'm almost trying to break one. My buddy and I jam together quite a bit and, he is always breaking strings. While I'm happy that I don't ever have to stop and replace strings or worse yet be caught without backups. I'm starting to get a complex.

Should I just start hammering on my guitar harder, or does this mean that my guitar is properly strung and as long as I keep changing the strings every few weeks/months I'll be alright.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 24 2008, 06:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well if you feel that your playing is loud enough, and the hammers are clear enough, then I´d say you just have nice strings and you take good care! Just let him break his strings, they´re expensive!

save the money and buy an effect for it or something (I´m dutch, I´d save it on tha bank rolleyes.gif )

g´d luck

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 24 2008, 06:37 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 24 2008, 06:38 PM
I wouldnt worry about it, I was in my third year of playing before I lost my first plectrum.

*sniff*

Those were the days. tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 24 2008, 06:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well it does not mean anything really wink.gif If you change your strings every few weeks or every month you will hardly break any - especially if strings and guitar are good quality..Of course if you strum and bend like crazy you will break them easier though there are no rules for that generally.. wink.gif If you are satisfied with your playing and progress you definitely don't lack the "power of rock" smile.gif Just imagine if you would be playing bass - than you would be in serious trouble! (hard to break) smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 24 2008, 06:40 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 24 2008, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (slak @ Feb 24 2008, 06:34 PM) *
I've been playing the guitar for about almost a year now and, I have never broken a string. It's getting to the point where I'm almost trying to break one. My buddy and I jam together quite a bit and, he is always breaking strings. While I'm happy that I don't ever have to stop and replace strings or worse yet be caught without backups. I'm starting to get a complex.

Should I just start hammering on my guitar harder, or does this mean that my guitar is properly strung and as long as I keep changing the strings every few weeks/months I'll be alright.

I hardly ever break strings and I do some nasty things to them. Sharp edges on your hardware can cause this. Id be happy they dont break.
Peace

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 24 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey thanks guys, I use ernie ball hybrid slinkys. And ya, I'm happy with my volume, hammers, and bends. I usually bend to far, but thats another post.

I burn through picks/plectums constantly, usually when I'm playing ryhthm on the acoustic.

Bogdan, you might get a kick out of this, my buddy is playing bass for Black Francis, and he is touring Europe right now. Anyway he broke his E-string on stage the other night, in Oxford, I think. I figure you really gotta be hammering on your bass to break an E-string.

This post has been edited by slak: Feb 24 2008, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 24 2008, 07:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (slak @ Feb 24 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Bogdan, you might get a kick out of this, my buddy is playing bass for Black Francis, and they are touring Europe right now. Anyway he broke his E-string on stage the other night, in Hamburg I think. I figure you really gotta be hammering on your bass to break an E-string.

Yeah its pretty hard thing to do !! I usually break D and G strings..Though E is stressed very much when playing slap..But it all gets to a specific guitar and its mechanics.. smile.gif Mysterious ways there smile.gif I hope your friend had a backup bass ready wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 24 2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah, He's a pro. He was all set to go.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 24 2008, 07:42 PM
Instructor
Following your logic one must break strings constantly in order to be considered a good player is that what you are saying? smile.gif You pro buddy certainly isn't a a good player because he broke the string, neither is your friend in a band. Can you tell me did you mean serious when you wrote that you are starting to get a complex because of the string braking all the time to buddy or you were just kidding?
I think you were kidding - off course - there is no connection to string breaks and how player is good. Take me for example - I tend to break strings all the time at gigs and I'm a terrible player - just ask Bogdan he can confirm that wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 24 2008, 07:47 PM
GMC Founder
I only break the two thinnest strings - and they always break when I am bending or applying vibrato. I do break these string quite often!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 24 2008, 07:59 PM
I say you use good strings! I used to break a lot of strings but, After I canged to guitarboomers I hardly never break them and there not getting an easy workout... I mean I rape those poor little things, Agressive bending and vibrato and a lot of floyd rose tricks including a lot of those insane high pitched Squeel harmonics with a really agressive vibrato from the tremolo... tongue.gif So I says: Your friend uses bad quality strings/has some minor flaw in his guitar...

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 24 2008, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 24 2008, 10:42 AM) *
Following your logic one must break strings constantly in order to be considered a good player is that what you are saying? smile.gif You pro buddy certainly isn't a a good player because he broke the string, neither is your friend in a band. Can you tell me did you mean serious when you wrote that you are starting to get a complex because of the string braking all the time to buddy or you were just kidding?
I think you were kidding - off course - there is no connection to string breaks and how player is good. Take me for example - I tend to break strings all the time at gigs and I'm a terrible player - just ask Bogdan he can confirm that wink.gif

I understand that how often you break a string has very little, if any relevance to your skill on a guitar. I guess I'm tryin to say that I would like to experience the feeling of snapping a string while I'm rocking out biggrin.gif I'm sure it's really not that big of a deal but, I wouldn't know. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 24 2008, 08:03 PM
Instructor
I think the main question you have to ask yourself is WHY you wanna break strings? Don't you know it is NOT desireable to break them unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 24 2008, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 24 2008, 09:03 PM) *
I think the main question you have to ask yourself is WHY you wanna break strings? Don't you know it is NOT desireable to break them unsure.gif

Exactly! It's like you would go take a crap in the middle of having sex! wink.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Feb 24 2008, 08:08 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I have broken string only once - when practicing one solo, which was EXTREMELY whole tone bends extensive.. other than that.. never.. Its about quality of strings, hardware.. also.. it is good, if you dont beat your strings too much:)

Care for your guitar as GF - especially, since your realtionship with your guitar is much more durable.. believe me... biggrin.gif
Take it as arguing with your girlfriend.. Be glad, that you have good relationship, and you have never argued (with your strings..) smile.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 24 2008, 08:11 PM
Get to da Chopper!
sometimes if i feel crazy enough to do a 3 or 4 semitone bend at the 21st fret im repayed with a stray string flicking me in the eye- usually top two strings for me.

I wouldnt worry about it though- next you'll want to snap your neck and blow up your amp to feel like a pro...all sounds a little expensive to me...

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 24 2008, 08:24 PM
I guess I look at it kind of like falling off a bike. How often you do/ or don't fall off you bicycle really has no bearing on how good of a cyclist you are, and most people don't want to fall off their bike, but it's bound to happen. So can you really say one has expierenced everything cycling has to offer, if they have never fallen off their bike.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Feb 24 2008, 08:24 PM
used to use ernie balls and skulls .. broke strings all the time.. now i use GHS Boomers .10 and Elxier.. havn't broken a string in a long while smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 24 2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (slak @ Feb 24 2008, 08:24 PM) *
I guess I look at it kind of like falling off a bike. How often you do/ or don't fall off you bicycle really has no bearing on how good of a cyclist you are, and most people don't want to fall off their bike, but it's bound to happen. So can you really say one has expierenced everything cycling has to offer, if they have never fallen off their bike.

SO WHY in the heck don't you break that string already then??!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
slak
Feb 24 2008, 10:11 PM
biggrin.gif I'm working on ti now. Hopefully Wallimann's bending Licks lesson will give the goods. biggrin.gif If not it's down to the garage and I'm cranking the amp and not leaving till I break a freaking string.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:59 PM