Problem With Ibanez String Height, possibly bridge related (?)
b101
May 30 2008, 09:21 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, had my Ibanez S470 for about 2 years now, and annoyingly when it came one of the nuts you need to remove to replace the strings with was broken, so took it into a guitar shop to get it fixed. Helpfully, they left the guitar without any strings on for over 2 weeks and so of course the floating bridge had snapped right back into the body. Now I've tried everything to try and get it returned to the proper position, but this is the best I can do, and it's really rather annoying as the strings are so much higher above the fretboard than any other guitar I've ever played (a slight positive is that my left hand fingers are now quite strong wink.gif )

All the same, I'd kinda like to have the guitar back to normal, but I don't really know what to do. I was wondering if it was due to string tension - but I know nothing about guitar maintenance and so don't really want to mess about with it in case it gets even worse. So anyway, here are some pictures, and any help is so greatly appreciated!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Cheers for any help guys, Ben

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Feel free to check out my Guitar Pro efforts:

Fin - Symphonic Metal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Oxac
May 30 2008, 09:31 PM
Hey you should seriously talk to the guys who caused this problem, aren't they obligated to fix it`?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
b101
May 30 2008, 09:40 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ May 30 2008, 09:31 PM) *
Hey you should seriously talk to the guys who caused this problem, aren't they obligated to fix it`?

Well it was about a year and a half ago so it's unlikely!! they did say at the time though that they couldn't put strings on it without "getting into the realm of setting up" - which would have set me back £50. Annoying but I said it was fine, had no idea it would cause this problem dry.gif

--------------------

Fin - Symphonic Metal

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 30 2008, 11:03 PM
Im not sure if i completely understand you but I assume that you are saying..."how do i adjust string height"?

There is a stud in either side of the bridge. The center is an allen screw.
Leave the nut alone and just turn the allen screw in to lower string height.

The round adjuster on the back only adjusts the relationship between the trem stop and the trem springs.
Ibanez should have adjustment instructions on their site. My S series came with a manual that showed how to properly adjust the trem.

Whats up with that bridge pick up?

This post has been edited by USAMAN: May 30 2008, 11:15 PM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 30 2008, 11:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
lower the spring tension to keep the bridge floating at a lower level.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 30 2008, 11:14 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 30 2008, 11:10 PM) *
lower the spring tension to keep the bridge floating at a lower level.

1. The base plate of a floyd style trem needs to be level with the body to maintain proper return to pitch.

2. The ZR trem is a beast unto its own, the spring adjustment doesnt work in that fashion. The only adjustment you get is the relationship between the the trem springs and the stop.. this does not effect trem angle much, maybe a degree or two.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2008, 11:14 AM
Instructor
COuld you unscrew the backplate to see it? It seems to me you have to adjust the tension of the springs in order to lower down the bridge.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
b101
May 31 2008, 02:05 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 31 2008, 11:14 AM) *
COuld you unscrew the backplate to see it? It seems to me you have to adjust the tension of the springs in order to lower down the bridge.

the little wheel in the third picture adjusts string tension - further left is more tension; i guess that's what you mean? so would the strings need more or less tension to lower the bridge?

--------------------

Fin - Symphonic Metal

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:44 AM