Picked Up A Strat Copy At A Pawn Shop...
Zephyr
Feb 11 2008, 06:17 AM
GMC:er
So, I was recently looking around a local pawn shop, and came across a Hondo Strat copy for $90, I was just browsing through and picked it up. I've heard nothing but negative comments about Hondo guitars, but I really like this guitar! Now it's nothing high-end, but it's nicer than a lot of Fender Strats that I've played! Maybe I just got lucky an found the one that isn't a dud. It's very used, and needs some work, but I'm glad I got it. I would do a review, but I can find almost no information whatsoever about this guitar.

[attachment=4429:P1000736.JPG]
[attachment=4430:P1000741.JPG]
[attachment=4431:P1000744.JPG]

I think it's from the early 70's, based on info I've found online, but I'm kind of lost about it. It could be a H76, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it's had some custom work done, for one thing, I'm almost positive the stripes were added - I'm thinking about adding black stripes, as well - it's half-Frankenstein, anyways! rolleyes.gif The pickups might be custom, too, the neck pickup sound pretty dang nice. wink.gif

Anyways, let me know what you think! Anybody own a Hondo and actually like it? Or think I just blew $90? laugh.gif Oh, well, I might wind up using this for my first attempts at modification, anyways, maybe put some new pickups in.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Feb 11 2008, 06:18 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 11 2008, 06:35 AM
For 90 bucks its hard to go wrong, not to mention it sounds good. I like how its only half frakenstein.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 11 2008, 06:39 AM
Heh, that's true. I think I might add black stripes, just for kicks. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 11 2008, 06:46 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 10 2008, 09:39 PM) *
Heh, that's true. I think I might add black stripes, just for kicks. biggrin.gif

Use electrician's tape until then. laugh.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 11 2008, 09:19 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A genuine Hondo!!!! laugh.gif

Try to find out where it's from, if it's made in Japan during the 70's the quality should be quite good and the actual value of the guitar could be like a $300-500 guitar today. But branded Hondo that will never happen, obly talking about value of quality.

If it's Japan and 70's I think you made a teriffic deal!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Feb 11 2008, 01:07 PM
Kinda looks to me like the stripes might be factory. Kinda hard to stop painting stripes at the point where the body curves over to the side that consistently.

I'm a big fan of pawn shop gear. You'll come across all kinds of interesting stuff in pawn shops that you're not going to find anywhere else. Sometimes you'll find great deals too while you're at it.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 16 2008, 06:18 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 11 2008, 12:19 AM) *
A genuine Hondo!!!! laugh.gif

Try to find out where it's from, if it's made in Japan during the 70's the quality should be quite good and the actual value of the guitar could be like a $300-500 guitar today. But branded Hondo that will never happen, obly talking about value of quality.

If it's Japan and 70's I think you made a teriffic deal!

Really? That's good to know, I'm fairly sure that it is from the early 70's, based on what I've found online. Thanks, man! smile.gif

QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Feb 11 2008, 04:07 AM) *
Kinda looks to me like the stripes might be factory. Kinda hard to stop painting stripes at the point where the body curves over to the side that consistently.

I'm a big fan of pawn shop gear. You'll come across all kinds of interesting stuff in pawn shops that you're not going to find anywhere else. Sometimes you'll find great deals too while you're at it.

They're actually inlays of some kind, not paint, and they look good but not quite professional. Could've just been a not-so-great design on Hondo's part, but it looks custom to me. It's hard to explain without seeing it up close. And, I agree, there's some really unique stuff out there! I love pawn shops, not just for guitar gear, but for everything. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2008, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Interesting looking copy man. Great buy, for 90 bucks it
s a steal wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 5 2008, 10:08 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
90 bucks? That's great biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:57 PM