Finish Question
joshl
Aug 6 2008, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
Ok I played my Ibanez Gax70 lightly for about a year, and if you look at it from straight on you can see just tons of scratches from strumming, is this worse on a cheap guitar like that, or would this happen on any guitar without a pickguard?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 6 2008, 09:23 PM
probably due to the cheap finish that there are more, and more visible.

but even the priciest fenders and gibsons suffer from pick scratches, nothing much you can do about them. rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 6 2008, 11:40 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Its pretty ok...You can't avoid pick scratches.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2008, 10:10 AM
Instructor
If you abuse the guitar it will show. Often guitars have a lot of scratches so it's not only your guitar mate. Don't worry about it, vintage look is a cool thing cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 7 2008, 05:20 PM
QUOTE (joshl @ Aug 6 2008, 03:54 PM) *
Ok I played my Ibanez Gax70 lightly for about a year, and if you look at it from straight on you can see just tons of scratches from strumming, is this worse on a cheap guitar like that, or would this happen on any guitar without a pickguard?

As stated above, it's common. It's part of why the expensive guitars are hung up on the ceiling at Guitar Center. biggrin.gif

Pick guards help, because that's what they're for...you're just scratching the pick guard instead of the guitar's finish.

You really have to baby it to not get pick scratches. My main workhorse guitar's old, banged up and kind of a mess (previous owner had slippery hands I guess), and it has a pickguard and I don't worry about. My favorite guitar is also used and over 10 years old. I baby it, but it doesn't have a pickguard and was kinda scuffed up when I got it. The only new guitar I own I baby it to the point where I don't really play it anymore because I think the finish is kinda fragile (satiny black paint of some sort). I'm gonna get it signed next month and it'll likely get put away as a collectible.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 7 2008, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It's normal, guitars get easily scratched. Expensive guitars with a nitro finish get even more scratched than cheaper guitars with a poly finish. Go figure!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:20 PM