The Key Of Songs
Scorpiotic
Jul 28 2008, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
Hey

Been searching around but can't find anything;
anyone know of any site that lists song (as many as possible tongue.gif) and what key they're in?
My ear is waaay to far to catch any stuff like that yet, and without the key you end up with alot of sour notes (at least i do) tongue.gif

Any help appreciated ^^

Scorpiotic

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Scorpiotic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 28 2008, 11:13 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Scorpiotic @ Jul 28 2008, 05:51 PM) *
Hey

anyone know of any site that lists song (as many as possible tongue.gif) and what key they're in?
My ear is waaay to far to catch any stuff like that yet, and without the key you end up with alot of sour notes (at least i do) tongue.gif

Any help appreciated ^^

Scorpiotic

I don't have a website for you, but I wrote a lesson on working it out for yourself - you can find it on my theory lessons board smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Jul 28 2008, 11:23 PM
cool, i'll check it out, thanks ^^

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jul 29 2008, 06:30 AM
QUOTE (Scorpiotic @ Jul 28 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Hey

Any help appreciated ^^

Scorpiotic

I agree that knowing the key of an original recording is helpful to mess around with scales and such over the song, but if you find the tab to the song(which are everywhere) then you can usually tell the key, which is what the lesson mentioend above refers to(having the tab, or the original music). but if you don't have those things, it can be a bit difficult(I wish I could do it by ear)

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Jul 29 2008, 08:24 AM
hehe ye tongue.gif

i'm unfortunately not to good on scales yet either... however i've found a site that contains more or less most scales i've ever heard of tongue.gif so i'll have to give up to trial-and-hopefully-few-errors wink.gif

anyone heard of anywhere you can write in notes/string&fret played, and the more you put in, the less options you're left with? sort of a "scale deducing" thingy tongue.gif (know i'm looking for alot of shortcuts here, but hey, if they exist, why not use them xD)

Scorpiotic

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 29 2008, 08:39 AM
Go here... http://www.all-guitar-chords.com click "chords to scale" enter the chords which are part of the song and it will be displayed which possible key and scale that is...the more chords you enter the less possibilities of scales are there of course...it s a good approach in order to analyse a song ! Of course you should bear in mind that compositions are often too complex to analyse it that way !Often you pick chords which are way out of the scale and everything because it sounds kind of weird but somehow great and let alone the whole world of modulation....it's the same with translating computers...if you let translate a whole text by a computer the outcome is pretty crappy because language is also far too complex to be analysed by a stupid system wink.gif
It also depends on what kind of music you are analysing. If you want to know what key this Santana piece is written in - easy - it is always a Dorian scale because he knows no other scale ! laugh.gif
But if you wanna analyse a Satriani piece it becomes rather complicated because he tends to compose his songs with the Pitch Axis theory

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 29 2008, 09:07 AM

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Jul 29 2008, 09:41 AM
hehe ye, experienced the translating stuff waaay to many times xD

too bad most songs are just written by tabs rather than chords, at least for most of the music i play tongue.gif but still, thanks alot ^^

This post has been edited by Scorpiotic: Jul 29 2008, 10:12 AM

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 29 2008, 02:11 PM
Well, you have to be able to read the chords out of the tabs by learning how chords are constructed and which notes they include...there is no avoiding this fact wink.gif ...in my opinion you have to learn the rules of chords structure and learn the notes of chords by heart of well because there won't be time to deduce from theory when improvising or analysing music...That's just my opinion it helped me a lot understanding theory and learning the notes by heart....

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 29 2008, 02:12 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 29 2008, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Scorpiotic @ Jul 29 2008, 10:41 AM) *
hehe ye, experienced the translating stuff waaay to many times xD

too bad most songs are just written by tabs rather than chords, at least for most of the music i play tongue.gif but still, thanks alot ^^

Just check out Andrew's theory lessons, particularly about scales and chords. You will find that once you know the scale involved, you can easily know the chords involved and determine the key.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:56 PM