Strumming help?, Any place to help strumming.
Serpentine
Feb 26 2007, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
Hey All,

I'm only a few days old on this site, so pardon me if this is dumb. But I have an Acoustic/Electric Fender, and I am seem to just kinda suck with strumming patterns, and i'm looking for some help. I've hit the search button quite a few times, and I havn't found a video lesson to help either.

I've found all sorts of practices for fingering, bending, hammering,.... but nothing for strumming patterns.

Right now i'm trying to get two songs down. Pink Floyd's - Mother, and Indigo Girls - Closer To Fine.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice. Feel free to IM me on AIM (serpentine ocean).

Thanks All.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"I felt like putting a bullet through the head of every panda that refused to screw to save it's species"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beebo
Feb 26 2007, 06:41 PM
Hello Serpentine,
I found the same thing and I could already do some things before I came to GMC just by Ear and Sound!
I played a country song with this pattern if u want practice it on ur own time. It

1.) hit the open E string(big) -0---

2.)then play an E chord and right after the e chord hit the samll E string (open)
3.)Next do the same thing but start out hitting the open A string

Looks like this on tab
|0-0--------0---| do this a couple times and tell me if it helps biggrin.gif
|--2----0---2---|
|--2--------2---|
|--1--------1---|
|--0--------0---|
|--0--0----0--0|

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Serpentine
Feb 27 2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks, i'm trying.... but i don't think i'm quite getting it.

I dunno, kinda hoping that maybe even Guitar Pro, might show strumming patterns, cuz then i could do the slow to fast temp training.

*shrug* ... keep trudging on.

I do think i'm getting Pink Floyd's - Pig on the wing strumming down ok, but it still doesn't sound right... really unchanging and boring.

This post has been edited by Serpentine: Feb 27 2007, 06:28 AM

--------------------
"I felt like putting a bullet through the head of every panda that refused to screw to save it's species"

+Quote Post
edguy
Feb 27 2007, 01:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Serpentine

I had the same problem. But i found a good site which helped me al lot.
It is a free site (the videos of the songs are free). They teach you how to strum songs like Rooster
from Alice in Chains or Turn The Page from Metallica/Bob Seger.
And many other songs are teached there very clearly.

Go to www.netxlevelguitar.com and watch the video song lesson.

But i hope for the future of gmc that there will be lessons for Strumming songs correctly. (Maybe on freelicks)

Edguy

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Feb 28 2007, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (Serpentine @ Feb 25 2007, 04:28 PM) *
Hey All,

I'm only a few days old on this site, so pardon me if this is dumb. But I have an Acoustic/Electric Fender, and I am seem to just kinda suck with strumming patterns, and i'm looking for some help. I've hit the search button quite a few times, and I havn't found a video lesson to help either.

I've found all sorts of practices for fingering, bending, hammering,.... but nothing for strumming patterns.

Right now i'm trying to get two songs down. Pink Floyd's - Mother, and Indigo Girls - Closer To Fine.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice. Feel free to IM me on AIM (serpentine ocean).

Thanks All.

You're not alone Serpentine. I have been on GMC for a few months and altohugh the lessons are great, I feel I am missing it due to not having a strong foundation in Strumming(I can get by but I want to learn those funk strum styles that are sometimes used in rock), so I have actually taken a step back and am working on strumming these days. I too have not found a great web source for strumming but I just bought Kris' Quick Start Guide DVD(freelicks.net)which claims to have a lot on strumming stuff so we will see. Unfortunately the drawback on learning on your own is you haver no one watching over to make sure you learn things in the proper order to make it easier.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
jete124
Feb 28 2007, 03:29 AM
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Feb 27 2007, 06:45 PM) *
You're not alone Serpentine. I have been on GMC for a few months and altohugh the lessons are great, I feel I am missing it due to not having a strong foundation in Strumming(I can get by but I want to learn those funk strum styles that are sometimes used in rock), so I have actually taken a step back and am working on strumming these days. I too have not found a great web source for strumming but I just bought Kris' Quick Start Guide DVD(freelicks.net)which claims to have a lot on strumming stuff so we will see. Unfortunately the drawback on learning on your own is you haver no one watching over to make sure you learn things in the proper order to make it easier.

Check youtube if you are lost there are plenty of strumming lessons on there to use.

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Feb 28 2007, 03:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JustinSandercoe

That guy has a lot of good acoustic guitar lessons.

+Quote Post
Serpentine
Mar 2 2007, 02:40 AM
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Feb 28 2007, 12:45 AM) *

Yea, if it's really helpfull, see if you can dig up this post and let me know :-P

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:49 PM