2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Xp Or Vista?
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 28 2008, 11:07 AM
Instructor
Vista is after all a better system, it's just that is not fully developed yet, and some driver support is missing, which is reasonable because it is a new technology. All windows require 2-3 years to become fully stable, so eventually it will be better to turn to Vista yes. For now stick to XP.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 28 2008, 11:15 AM
Get to da Chopper!
For the vista users- how much RAM do you reccomend for using your VSTis on this OS? Would 4GB be enough?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Aug 28 2008, 11:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I use Vista 64-bit without any major difficulties (although somehow I need to reset my ASIO drivers all the time when I start-up Cubase (not sure though whether it is Vista causing this or just some driver problem associated with it.

I have 4 Gb of internal memory and tbh it runs just fine with several VSTs (but I am not a extreme poweruser definitely). But I also have a topnotch system in terms of processor / HD speed etc.

As said by many: If you have a brand new, top of the bill system and have bug-free drivers for Vista 64-bit of all your hardware then I do not see major problems using Vista 64-bit (SP1 that is) - e.g. my Zoom g9.2tt doesn't have an ASIO driver which actually works under Vista ... so I have to use ASIO4ALL to be able to record ..... Otherwise just stick with XP for now (you can always upgrade later on as well).

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Aug 28 2008, 05:11 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (swingline @ Aug 28 2008, 07:33 AM) *
I have two computers, one with XP the other with Vista. In the late there has been a few updates for Vista and I have found that it is now running as stable as XP. Also the update directly targeted the sluggishness and now my Vista computer, while being nearly the same computer, out performs the XP. Initially I hated Vista but now I love it.

Well said! That's my experience too! smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Aug 30 2008, 09:27 AM
Acoustic Instructor
It's true for both hardwares and softwares.
If it's a hardware the quality of latest one may be good but the price vs quality is always better in second latest one.
In software as Juan said it's full of bugs.So Of o were you I use XP smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 30 2008, 12:05 PM
Singing Instructor
I am on XP for know,I haw the configuration to support Vista,but this serves me just fine,no reason to change it yet.

ps.Some times when I work on the project,and when I switch on all the VST instruments that I need(Addictive,Grand Piano 2,Trilogy,B4,Moog...etc)I haw 250mb of ram memory left,I am not shore that would be the same with vista.So If I buy 2 gb of ram,I will consider to switch to Vista.smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nemanja Filipovic: Aug 30 2008, 12:09 PM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
pake
Sep 4 2008, 05:49 AM
GMC:er
Hi

I use linux for my recordings.
I use M-audio delta audio card and studio 64
optimated linux distribution. Good of this system is
tahat the softwares you need are free.

I use Ardour recording software. It is like Pro Tools but
free to use. In Windows there are quite big latency times
so the software doesn't respond fast enough. But if
you use linux and audio optimized kernels like studio 64
distribution has You get quite fast audio PC. In my configuration
the latency times is about 5ms.

I have quite old PC 1Ghz AMD Athlon 384Mb ram but i have
recorded 8 track at same time and no problems.
Only if I use many DSP software effects my PC is
going too slow.

Linux is not as windows plug and play (or pray) system but if you like
to work and learn to use linux you get quite stable audio PC of
your own.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 4 2008, 04:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have Vista, absolutely no problems. Everything is just compatable with it! it's graet!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:45 PM