2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Steve Vai: Inspiring Interview
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 17 2014, 04:17 AM
Instructor
Hello guys, I just found this interview to Mr. Vai and I think that everybody here should see it. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 17 2014, 07:58 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the share Gabi - bookmarked it biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2014, 05:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 17 2014, 03:58 AM) *
Thanks for the share Gabi - bookmarked it biggrin.gif

I knew that you would enjoy it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 18 2014, 07:04 AM
Learning Tone Master

I always liked to watch at Steve Vai interviews, is very inspiring and this vid was awesome smile.gif

I loved that part about creativity. When he said "relaxing and breathing...play a chord without judge in it, without put in any kind of identity on it". You know, was something like.... let the music come at you, don't you try to find it wink.gif
I always thought that maybe I have a wrong approach when I compose because I just play the music from my head, without thinking, which is the tonality, which are the modes that I must use here. I can't be creative after a scheme and I always thought that it's my weakness sad.gif

Thanks for sharing this Gab smile.gif I really enjoyed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 18 2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor
Thanks for sharing that Gab.

Steve is a great human being. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2014, 10:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 18 2014, 06:04 AM) *
I always liked to watch at Steve Vai interviews, is very inspiring and this vid was awesome smile.gif

I loved that part about creativity. When he said "relaxing and breathing...play a chord without judge in it, without put in any kind of identity on it". You know, was something like.... let the music come at you, don't you try to find it wink.gif
I always thought that maybe I have a wrong approach when I compose because I just play the music from my head, without thinking, which is the tonality, which are the modes that I must use here. I can't be creative after a scheme and I always thought that it's my weakness sad.gif

Thanks for sharing this Gab smile.gif I really enjoyed smile.gif

When you write music, the process should look like this (at least for me it does)

- hear the idea in your head
- sort it out on the instrument
- record it
- listen
- use your knowledge to continue the direction or link it to another existing piece fitting the scenario
- use your knowledge to chisel the whole piece into what you want it to be smile.gif

In broad terms, this is what it looks like wink.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 18 2014, 12:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 18 2014, 09:21 AM) *
When you write music, the process should look like this (at least for me it does)

- hear the idea in your head
- sort it out on the instrument
- record it
- listen
- use your knowledge to continue the direction or link it to another existing piece fitting the scenario
- use your knowledge to chisel the whole piece into what you want it to be smile.gif

In broad terms, this is what it looks like wink.gif

Same as me: first step feel the music and second step think the music (for polish and complexity).

Tell this things to some of my friends which until to compose something, they make something that look as a scheme. It's easy to compare this with mathematics not music biggrin.gif But when people around you have this approach and you are the "freak" between them, after some discutions, come that moment when you put yourself the question if you make something wrong wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 18 2014, 03:29 PM
GMC:er
Another example of great thinking and idea channeling from Mr Vai.
Very inspirational!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

A South African friend of mine was fascinated about how frequencies affect each other not just on an Earthly scale but in a Universal way back in the late 80's and ended up going to University to study Astronomy to get a better grip on it for it's influence in his music making!!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2014, 04:00 AM
Instructor
This topic is extremely interesting for me and I always admired how Steve has been seeing music in this way since the mid 80's. I like the part when he talks about creativity like something genuine that comes from the inside ( he does a movement with his hands like opening his body to show his soul) which is different from those creativity techniques frequently used and taught which are based on conscious processes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 19 2014, 08:04 AM
Instructor
I will plug in my thread about Victor Wooten - he says the exact same thing smile.gif You can't make music if you practice in a room all day long - you need to LIVE in order to have things to make music about, feelings, stories and so on:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51864

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 19 2014, 08:39 AM
Sitting across from him every wednesday night for 8 weeks in the early 80s ... I can tell you he is absolutely 'that guy' in the above interview. Probably more so when it's one on one. He LOVES what he does!
I think I sort of mentioned this here before but in the first lesson I took with him he had me play him something and then we 'jammed' on some chord prog. He asked me what I wanted to learn. I said I wanted to learn technique like he had. He says, "why do you want to do that? I already do it. You have to do it your way". So he waits for me to pick my jaw up off the floor and then says, "look, I get it, you want to get faster - everybody does. Practice with a metronome, don't allow articulation mistakes, play smoothly and cleanly, don't tense up, if something starts to hurt take a break ... and do all this everyday for 40 minutes to an hour". And that was the last thing he said about technique. Everything else we worked on was just music.

He also was really into expressing yourself in your music and being excited to play and discover new things about music.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2014, 02:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 19 2014, 04:39 AM) *
Sitting across from him every wednesday night for 8 weeks in the early 80s ... I can tell you he is absolutely 'that guy' in the above interview. Probably more so when it's one on one. He LOVES what he does!
I think I sort of mentioned this here before but in the first lesson I took with him he had me play him something and then we 'jammed' on some chord prog. He asked me what I wanted to learn. I said I wanted to learn technique like he had. He says, "why do you want to do that? I already do it. You have to do it your way". So he waits for me to pick my jaw up off the floor and then says, "look, I get it, you want to get faster - everybody does. Practice with a metronome, don't allow articulation mistakes, play smoothly and cleanly, don't tense up, if something starts to hurt take a break ... and do all this everyday for 40 minutes to an hour". And that was the last thing he said about technique. Everything else we worked on was just music.

He also was really into expressing yourself in your music and being excited to play and discover new things about music.

Beautiful words. I'm sure that this class opened a new paradigm in your life. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 19 2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 19 2014, 07:39 AM) *

Such an amazing experience! Wow! I think these sort of things can change your life as a musician forever! Now, I am curious - have you followed his advice by heart at the moment? Or did it take some time ?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 19 2014, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 19 2014, 07:04 AM) *
Such an amazing experience! Wow! I think these sort of things can change your life as a musician forever! Now, I am curious - have you followed his advice by heart at the moment? Or did it take some time ?

I assume you're referring to the more esoteric bits?
I followed what I could understand at the time. I'm still realizing and figuring what he meant with some of the stuff we/he talked about.

Near the end of the posted interview he casually mentions, "we're all spiritual - spirits having a human moment". You can tell he doesn't want to get too into it. He really believes that (IMO) and it influenced how he approached giving me music lessons. He said more than once, "only do this if you love it and can't do anything else - and do it 100%. Because if you don't love it and don't do it 100% you'll be disappointed. Be joyous about doing it and do your own thing".

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 19 2014, 06:53 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Finally got the moment to sit down and watch this interview, oh how good it was! I always enjoy his words, but somehow until I sit and start to listen I think "hey I already know what he will say probably, so I won't expect to be blown away". Yet here I am blown away yet again:)

He basically "invented" Buddhism, which is one more reason to indulge in it. It is quite hard to find a really successful, thoughtful and beautiful human being that will share a very different point of view then Steve here. (not sure if what I wrote makes sense, but it is too deep for me laugh.gif ).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 20 2014, 08:49 PM
Instructor
He knows and believes a lot of things that a lot of people consider mumbo jumbo - but as long as he is UP there and we are still down here, NOTHING of what he says should be considered as mumbo jumbo, especially because he is such a kind human being and wants to share his wisdom with us.

My good friend Dragos, had the honor of having Steve as a guest in his documentary whose trailer I will share here with you:

Steve also shared it on his FB page yesterday smile.gif What a way to celebrate Ester night for my friend! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2014, 04:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 20 2014, 04:49 PM) *
He knows and believes a lot of things that a lot of people consider mumbo jumbo - but as long as he is UP there and we are still down here, NOTHING of what he says should be considered as mumbo jumbo, especially because he is such a kind human being and wants to share his wisdom with us.

My good friend Dragos, had the honor of having Steve as a guest in his documentary whose trailer I will share here with you:

Steve also shared it on his FB page yesterday smile.gif What a way to celebrate Ester night for my friend! biggrin.gif

Thanks for reminding about this movie. I just bookmarked it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2014, 07:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 21 2014, 03:40 AM) *
Thanks for reminding about this movie. I just bookmarked it. smile.gif

Hehe! It's a great documentary and now you can watch it entirely!

Steve has also mentioned it on his website: http://www.vai.com/steve-appears-in-the-amazing-you-movie/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2014, 08:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2014, 03:50 AM) *
Hehe! It's a great documentary and now you can watch it entirely!

Steve has also mentioned it on his website: http://www.vai.com/steve-appears-in-the-amazing-you-movie/

Cool! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2014, 03:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 21 2014, 07:19 PM) *
Cool! smile.gif

There's a big cultural/innovation festival happening this year in Romania and Dragos's documentary has been nominated in the film category! This guy will shortly reach amazing success with his work smile.gif I am so proud of him!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:03 AM