New To The Site
Ostracman
Nov 14 2015, 08:00 PM
GMC:er
Hello
My name is Jeff I am new to the site, just trying to find my way around!!
I have played guitar (and many other instruments) for many years, but always looking for new inspiration.
I found David Wallimann on YouTube and thought that he made a lot of sense so I joined the site.

I have started working on the modal pentatonics lessons and wanted to ask a question but I don't know how to post questions on the appropriate forum. It gives me an error. So I thought I would start here by introducing myself.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 14 2015, 08:24 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome Ostracman! biggrin.gif

Let us know what question you have (you can ask here as well)!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2015, 05:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Jeff! Welcome to GMC!! Do you have question?? Shoot here! smile.gif

Enjoy the site!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ostracman
Nov 15 2015, 05:01 PM
Thank you Kristofer and Gabriel for the welcome.

My question was regarding the backing track used in David Wallimann's lessons for modal pentatonic exercises. I am working on the ionian to start with.
I would like to know what the chord changes are in the backing tracks? I think that it would help to link the sounds to the chords underneath, unless I have missed the point!
How do I get to the appropriate place in the forum to ask the question?
thanks

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2015, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Hi friend!

When asking stuff about practice and lessons, you can do it in different parts of the forum, but the best place would be to do it at the PRACTICE ROOM sub-forum: LINK HERE.

About your question, the backing track is based on A root but the chords change with the change of each modal pentatonic. Each chord used is the root chord of the mode that is being played. In order to learn the "root chord of each more I recommend you to explore this thread:

Sounds of the Ionian Mode

Sounds of the Dorian Mode

Sounds of the Phrygian Mode

Sounds of the Lydian Mode

Sounds of the Mixolydian Mode

Sounds of the Aeolian Mode

Sounds of the Locrian Mode

When entering to each of those links you'll find the mode explained and you will find the chord that you get when harmonizing the root in thirds with the notes of the mode. Those are the chords used in the backing track.

For example, when David played A ionian, the chord sounding is Amaj7, when he plays A dorian, the chord sounding is Dm7, and so...

However, there is something more happening. As he is using a synth there, he is also adding the "characteristic note of each mode in the backing track.

What's the characteristic note?

It's the note that gives each mode an special flavor. Dorian's characteristic note is the major 6th, Phrygian's is the minor 2nd, Lydian's is the #4, Mixolydian's is the minor 7th, and locrian's sound is the dim5 combined with min3rd and min7th.

This can be a lot of info at first, but start exploring this universe and feel free to ask me everything you need to get into modes and clarify everything.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ostracman
Nov 18 2015, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 15 2015, 04:26 PM) *
Hi friend!

When asking stuff about practice and lessons, you can do it in different parts of the forum, but the best place would be to do it at the PRACTICE ROOM sub-forum: LINK HERE.

About your question, the backing track is based on A root but the chords change with the change of each modal pentatonic. Each chord used is the root chord of the mode that is being played. In order to learn the "root chord of each more I recommend you to explore this thread:

Sounds of the Ionian Mode

Sounds of the Dorian Mode

Sounds of the Phrygian Mode

Sounds of the Lydian Mode

Sounds of the Mixolydian Mode

Sounds of the Aeolian Mode

Sounds of the Locrian Mode

When entering to each of those links you'll find the mode explained and you will find the chord that you get when harmonizing the root in thirds with the notes of the mode. Those are the chords used in the backing track.

For example, when David played A ionian, the chord sounding is Amaj7, when he plays A dorian, the chord sounding is Dm7, and so...

However, there is something more happening. As he is using a synth there, he is also adding the "characteristic note of each mode in the backing track.

What's the characteristic note?

It's the note that gives each mode an special flavor. Dorian's characteristic note is the major 6th, Phrygian's is the minor 2nd, Lydian's is the #4, Mixolydian's is the minor 7th, and locrian's sound is the dim5 combined with min3rd and min7th.

This can be a lot of info at first, but start exploring this universe and feel free to ask me everything you need to get into modes and clarify everything.

Thank you for that in depth response!

So I think the chord sequence for the ionian exercise is:
A | | D | | F#m | | E | |
D | | F#m | | Bm | | A | |

The reason I wanted to know what the chords behind the exercises were is so that I can make my own backing track. I find it quite difficult to hear the changes underneath the drums and my guitar.
It will also help me to put the chords on the tab, so I can analyse which target notes he has chosen on the changes.
thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2015, 01:47 AM
WELCOME TO GMC!!! smile.gif This is an amazing place for guitar players of all levels. You won't find a more constructive and supportive site anywhere on the web!! Come out to my Live Video Chat This saturday if you can! smile.gif The schedule is on the front page of the site smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ostracman @ Nov 14 2015, 03:00 PM) *
Hello
My name is Jeff I am new to the site, just trying to find my way around!!
I have played guitar (and many other instruments) for many years, but always looking for new inspiration.
I found David Wallimann on YouTube and thought that he made a lot of sense so I joined the site.

I have started working on the modal pentatonics lessons and wanted to ask a question but I don't know how to post questions on the appropriate forum. It gives me an error. So I thought I would start here by introducing myself.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 19 2015, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ostracman @ Nov 18 2015, 05:56 PM) *
Thank you for that in depth response!

So I think the chord sequence for the ionian exercise is:
A | | D | | F#m | | E | |
D | | F#m | | Bm | | A | |

The reason I wanted to know what the chords behind the exercises were is so that I can make my own backing track. I find it quite difficult to hear the changes underneath the drums and my guitar.
It will also help me to put the chords on the tab, so I can analyse which target notes he has chosen on the changes.
thanks

This is the correct progression:

A | | Asus4 | | F#m | | E | |
D | | A/C# | | Bm | | A | |

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ostracman
Nov 19 2015, 07:35 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 19 2015, 01:52 PM) *
This is the correct progression:

A | | Asus4 | | F#m | | E | |
D | | A/C# | | Bm | | A | |

Thank you so much!
Is it possible to know the progressions for each of the modal pentatonic exercises?

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 19 2015, 08:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Welcome ostracman !!!

welcome to the real crazy people's world !!

here at GMC !

ha, i must leave, it's time to get my medecine !! tongue.gif

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 19 2015, 09:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to the family Jeff.

Enjoy the journey smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 20 2015, 02:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ostracman @ Nov 19 2015, 03:35 PM) *
Thank you so much!
Is it possible to know the progressions for each of the modal pentatonic exercises?

Sure! Please share here the link to each lesson you'd like to know the progression and I'll transcribe it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:54 PM