Laptop Recording
muntahunta
Dec 15 2007, 11:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey, a friend of mine is buying a laptop for christmas and he wants to be able to record drums on it. im totally stumped with laptops so i have no idea what the best gear is for recording.
im guessing he's going to need 8 inputs with preamps. any idea what equipment he could use?

Cheers
Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Dec 16 2007, 01:18 AM
Instructor
i think is the best way to buy a sotfware studio program like cubase or cakewalk sonar or others and you isert the midi drums to built the drums track .other thing if you insest to record from accostic drums you need a mixer chanells to insert all the mics and the lines then out put from the mixer to the in put of laptop

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 16 2007, 01:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hisham @ Dec 16 2007, 01:18 AM) *
i think is the best way to buy a sotfware studio program like cubase or cakewalk sonar or others and you isert the midi drums to built the drums track .other thing if you insest to record from accostic drums you need a mixer chanells to insert all the mics and the lines then out put from the mixer to the in put of laptop

Along with softwares Hisham mentioned you'll need sort of 8 channels preamp/hardware interface,
with Firewire or even USB.
And idea with mixer is good as well,simply connect is outs to laptop and that's it.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 16 2007, 11:34 AM
Instructor
I would suggest Firewire and not USB. I was now doing a research for a mixer, and Firewire can send as many channels as there are on the mixer while USB connection mixes it all to max. 2 channels so in fact USB mixers loose their point and multitracking.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2007, 05:06 PM
Instructor
Try the Toneport UX8 hardware. You can get it for 500$. Also you will be needeng a set of mics for drums. You can find a deacent set at about 400-500$. And not to mention a studio where you will record drums.

THe other option is to use MIDI drums to make drums on a laptop. THat is much cheaper, but the quality is not as good as real drums. so...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 16 2007, 06:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 16 2007, 11:34 AM) *
I would suggest Firewire and not USB. I was now doing a research for a mixer, and Firewire can send as many channels as there are on the mixer while USB connection mixes it all to max. 2 channels so in fact USB mixers loose their point and multitracking.

I said "even" USB,which means optional if there's issue with having Firewire.
AND it was related with Hardware interface option and not mixer tho. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Muris: Dec 16 2007, 06:16 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Dec 16 2007, 06:54 PM
GMC:er
You will have to make sure that the Labtop got a Firewire1394 i/o port. Also I would recommend minimum 2GB ram.

And you will need somthing with 8 channels like the ToneportUX8 mentioned above (its actually using USB 2.0 with no probs i guess) or a PreSonus FP10 that uses Firewire1394 (396 Euro eks. VAT). The FP10 can be stacked if you should need 24 mics in the future.

This post has been edited by Twibeard: Dec 16 2007, 07:05 PM

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 16 2007, 07:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 16 2007, 06:14 PM) *
I said "even" USB,which means optional if there's issue with having Firewire.
AND it was related with Hardware interface option and not mixer tho. wink.gif

Same goes for Audio interfaces and other recording hardware. Firewire is just faster and supports more advanced and fast stuff. Sound quality can also suffer with USB, as i had this issue with my CamCorder: i first tried streaming the video through USB to my PC and the video quality was terrible. Than i connected it through Firewire and that's how i do lessons now smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2007, 07:32 PM
Instructor
@Pavel

Here are some specs on TonePort UX8:

-Built-in models of 18 guitar amps and 24 cabinets, 5 bass amps and 5 bass cabs, 6 studio-standard mic preamp models and 29 stompbox and studio effects
-ToneDirect™ Monitoring of your processed signal through the UX8 provides immediate responsiveness while you record - Watch the video here.
-Hardware monitoring provides near zero latency
-Recording flexibility – monitor any pair of processed signals while sending either amp and effects, amp only, or completely dry signal to your recording software for later processing and effects bussing
-GearBox Plug-In (AU, VST, RTAS) provides the same professional tone as the GearBox application, but gives you the option of operating non-destructively in your recording software on an unlimited number of recorded tracks.
-Special TonePort UX8 software mixer provides cue-mix monitoring of up to 4 stereo pairs, ideal for live tracking

So you actually CAN record via USB, as long it is not anything advanced. And FIrewire cards I agree are mandatory for digital video recording and pro sound recording, but not necceserily in home drum recording. ALso firewire=megabucks wink.gif

@muntahunta
You CAN use a cheap mixer and a cheap set of mics for geting a live drums, but you do need a sound card and again, you spend more money. SO the best option would definately be an UX8 device.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 16 2007, 07:38 PM
Instructor
Ivan: i didn't say USB sucks totally wink.gif I jsut said that if you are spending money on recording gear than it's better to get Firewire and also Firewire is not THAT much more expensive. I would never suggest to buy crap so that's why i mentioned Firewire smile.gif

Something like Alesis MultiMix 12 has Firewire audio interface built-in so it's both Mixer and audio interface. If you are planning on going to more instruments later in the future than it's better to spend money so you can use it later and not buying extra gear later smile.gif

Nice discussion btw smile.gif This kind of discussion gives people a choice and they can than choose what they like smile.gif

EDIT: that ALESIS mixer i mentioned is around 480$ here in Croatia smile.gif so the prices are quite the same!
Just found the link on Musician'sFriend - it's even cheaper:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ale...xer-?sku=630153

I am getting that one myself after the Christmas and New Year time passes by as there are a lot of other expenses for all of us smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Dec 16 2007, 07:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 16 2007, 11:13 PM
Instructor
Presonus Firepod would be worth the look in this situation, I think it has 8 mic preamps with XLR inputs, you can find more info on the Presonus website smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 17 2007, 11:44 AM
Instructor
Pavel you are definately right about FIrewire interface. Although I wouldn`t say this one is cheaper because although the price is similar, on UX8 you get 8XLR inputs (muntahunta wants to record drums) with preamps. But nevertheless I do agree with you that FIrewire is advanced technology.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 17 2007, 11:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 17 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Pavel you are definately right about FIrewire interface. Although I wouldn`t say this one is cheaper because although the price is similar, on UX8 you get 8XLR inputs (muntahunta wants to record drums) with preamps. But nevertheless I do agree with you that FIrewire is advanced technology.

Yeah sure if he's going for mic-ing drum set than 8 XLR inputs are a better choice. In the end each piece of hardware has it's pro's and con's. That's why buying gear is such a pain in the a** sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 17 2007, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 17 2007, 11:47 AM) *
That's why buying gear is such a pain in the a** sad.gif

I hear you wink.gif But on the other hand you know that feeling when you buy something new and can`t wait to take it home biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 18 2007, 11:59 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
There's already some very good advice and if your mate can afford it an 8 xlr input is a good way to go. Also s/he needs to budget for a good set of drum mics, stands and cables.

If s/he can't it is still possible to record drums with 2 or even a single mic so all is not lost. One of the bigger challenges in micing a drum kit is placement and spill and it can help greatly if you can access either software effects/processing through Cakewalk/Sonar/Cubase as Hisham has already said or as Pavel and others have said a hardware front end with good dynamics - compression and gating - and eq (ie band pass filtering) can really help. However you're better off spending time getting the placement right rather then trying to correct a bad recording at the mix stage.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 19 2007, 12:03 AM
Learning Roadie
well, he has a good set of drum mics/stands/etc and i have a bit of mixing/mastering knowledge with cubase which ive offered my services. the only thing that he needs is a way of putting the mic's into his laptop for recording.
ill make sure he checks out the hardware mentioned.

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Jorbazz
Dec 21 2007, 06:56 PM
GMC:er
I have a Allen&Heath Zed-14 mixer, it very easy to use and it has firewire-usb audio connection cable so you can record and play music from your computer.
It has lots of useful functions!

Extra's:
-Sonar LE(with user manual)
-Firewire-ubs cable

Link: Click me!

--------------------
My Gear:
-ESP LTD EC-1000BLK Deluxe
-Marshall ADV 50 W
-Line-6 Floorpod

Studio Gear:
Allen&Heath Zed-14
Sonar LE

Favourite Bands:
Englebarn(Angelkid)
HangFace
Dream Theater
Alit Boazu(Blue Raindeer)
MindTwist
Iron-Maiden
Metallica
Liquid Tension Experiment
G3
Torch

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 04:26 AM