The Beauty Of Complex Simplicity, Live And On Record, Steely Dan
Mudbone
Aug 18 2011, 03:40 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Steely Dan were immensely popular in the 70's. Their sound is really hard to describe, as they covered a lot of ground. Throughout the 70's they perfected and honed their sound, and in 1980, that decade of refining resulted in the album Gaucho. This album took well over a year to produce, and 42 session musicians participated. The perfectionist attitude of the band leaders Donald Fagen and Walter Becker resulted in an amazingly written and produced album.

The song below is "Hey Nineteen" off the album Gaucho. Its about an older gentlemen dating a young lover. Listen to the lyrics and you can interpret it anyway you like. What amazes me most about this song is how there is so much going on musically but its never overwhelming. In fact, its very understated. Throughout the song there is the underlying groove provided by the fantastic bass lines and very simple, yet very effective, drum beat. Also, the chorus to this song is legendary. Musical lines are begun by one instrument on the one beat and continued by another instrument for the rest of the measure. Very creative songwriting to say the least.

I posted two versions of this song so you can hear the studio version, because the production is absolutely brilliant, and the live version, because they really brought this song to life in a live situation. In the live version, during the middle of the song,the singer narrates a story that leads into the legendary chorus.Its a very creative way to slow a song down then bring it to life again. Old school musicians really knew how to put on a show.

All you guys in the US will probably know this song, its played on the radio ALL THE TIME. I'm not sure how popular Steely Dan were outside of the US.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2011, 11:53 AM
Instructor
It's really quality stuff. Simple but quality stuff, pleasant for listening. I always admired the atmosphere achieved in this type of music. Lots of people think it's easy to do it - it's very hard. Excellent stuff.

I had a sudden urge to post JJ Cale biggrin.gif . Master of low-energy vibe, with a more bluesier than funky feel. All good cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 18 2011, 11:53 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2011, 05:23 PM
Instructor
I've never heard this in Argentina.. but the song and the production are awesome!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Aug 18 2011, 09:45 PM
Instructor
Ahh,thanks for your reminder! A great great band at that time !!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 19 2011, 01:14 PM
Instructor
the lyrics they wrote were genius!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:02 AM