Self Obsessed Guitarists
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 8 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Some guys (yeah mostly guys it seems?!) think they're God, when in fact they’re merely good.

I think have seen a trend: the more humble the guitarist, the better he/she will play.

I met some of the greats out there and guess what - they are all humble guys with no exception...

Me: WOW! You played great!!
Steve Lukather: Ah, c'mon man.. It was not that great, but you sure know how to make an old man feel good. Gimme a hug, c'mon smile.gif (then leaves off with a few girls laugh.gif )

Andy Timmons: Are you also a guitarist?
Me: Well, yeah, let's say so smile.gif
Andy: And where will your next show take place?
Me: I am performing with a philharmonic orchestra in 2 days from now in one of our biggest venues in Bucharest.
Andy: WOW! Man, I am so happy for you - I have never played with an orchestra so far, but I will be doing it in Tokyo in 6 months from now - how does it feel like, can you give me some tips maybe?
Me: - stunned - almost crying smile.gif

So why are some guitarist walking the macho road, when all we’re trying to do is express our feelings? What do you think is a good example of a self-obsessed vs a humble guitarist?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2014, 09:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 8 2014, 08:18 AM) *
So why are some guitarist walking the macho road, when all we’re trying to do is express our feelings? What do you think is a good example of a self-obsessed vs a humble guitarist?

To answer your question, my observations would be that for some people, an ego is their only form of security and defense against the world. They need it. I know there's going to be a certain guitarist who gets brought up here so in an attempt to offer some balance to understand it let's look at a scenario. Going back to the early 80's, if you imagine a 20 yr old musician who gets offered a plane ticket from Sweden (for example) to the US and the chance to cut some records you just wouldn't be able to go through that without that massive level of self championing. You just wouldn't. The level of self belief you need has to border on the delusional or you just wouldn't be able to see it through. It's what it takes. To get on a plane to another world that you've never seen, not just for a holiday but to show what you're made of.. your whole life may depend on it. Total 'fish out of water' scenario. You can't afford to have a shred of self doubt in those scenarios.

For some people, the barriers that they have to go through in order to live out their success are a bit more extreme than others so in those cases I can understand where their overly favourable self opinion comes from. I don't mind it in those cases. smile.gif

Sometimes people are just A-holes as well, but I don't think applies to our Swedish friend.

Regards the humble guys.. if they've managed to get through a long career whilst being humble all the time then they're very secure individuals with either good business sense / personal communications. Or in some cases, people are quite happy with low to modest levels of success / recognition and are happy with their lot.

Some of these humble guys might have been A-holes once upon a time but matured and learned respect.

I think there's lots of different factors that influence people's personality. I guess that kind of opens up a new can of worms. This is a personality issue that we can find in everyone, rather than just guitarists. It depends what sort of life people have had, what actions and behaviours have worked for these individuals, what stage in their life these people are going through. Loads of things. Interesting though ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 8 2014, 03:13 PM
GMC:er
Sometimes it just depends on the time of day and the circumstances of the day.

I have had a few experiences completely the opposite of yours Cosmin ...
Really great 'legendary' player/performer/songwriter/etc. who's just a total A-hole ... at that moment. Or they're a prince one day and a gargoyle the next day. *They usually get the benefit of the doubt from me because I don't know the circumstances - ?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 8 2014, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Some people forget there is no place for "best and worst" categories in music smile.gif I agree - most of great players are such a kind and humble people smile.gif Most of those with huge a ego are like... You hear him talking that "this guys sucks and that guys sucks"...but then he goes on stage an play his part....

...After 3 minutes You realize it's a not a type of guy who has any right to judge people...and You hope it's first and last time You meet him biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 8 2014, 03:31 PM
Very good point Ben. Like you almost have to put on a shell. It's like to become a great guitarist, it takes hours and hours of alone time - then you go on tour and everyone wants to talk to you, and for some people, that attention could be hard to deal with. In that case some people may come across as assholes, but they're really just shy.

My friend got to see Stone Sour when they played locally and he said James Root went straight to the tour bus and didn't say anything to anybody, while the other guitarist was very personable and stayed outside. It doesn't make JR a jerk, anything could have been going on.

Another person that comes to mind, and is the furthest thing from a narcissists imaginable is Neil Peart. He is just a quiet introverted guy. I am the same way. It takes me getting some alcohol into my system before I can talk to crowds or even feel comfortable on stage. My hands would always shake uncontrollably during a sound check, before I had taken a few shots. I hate to admit that, but it's true. I may not come across as an introvert, because I am not shy when it comes to typing behind a screen, but when it comes to performing or even mingling in public, I would prefer to sit in a corner with a couple of friends discussing some deep mystery as opposed to small talk.

But, I have witnessed the attitude before. It seems more prevalent now in younger bands, guys in their teens and twenties. The guys I know which are still playing on any circuits are all very humble, but there was a time when they fit right in with that "my band is great and everyone else's band sucks" mentality.

Which is another thing I've noticed. Many times a guitarist would come across as anyone he believes himself to be better than, sucks, and anyone he believes he is not as good as, is awesome. There is no middle ground.

It's just people on fragile ego trips. It's really a testament to just how insecure people really are, it's like, they have to let you know how great they are or else you just might not understand. And hearing themselves say it somehow makes it true in their mind - regardless of if the listener is simply agreeing to get them to shut up because their arrogance sends the cringe meter through the roof.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 8 2014, 03:32 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2014, 04:55 PM
Paul Gilbert is a good example smile.gif he's a really nice guy and quite a player. Yngwie is a bit on the other side. Overtly stuck on themselves guitarists just come across to me as insecure. Almost like they are defending themselves and there ability at all times. Thankfully the instructors that we have here are pretty down to earth folks with a lack of A Hole Attitude which is not always the case with instructors. I've met instructors that are as bad or worse than Yngwie. It takes a confident person and player to avoid being arrogant. Arrogance is almost always just a shield for massive insecurity imho.

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2014, 08:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 8 2014, 03:55 PM) *
Paul Gilbert is a good example smile.gif he's a really nice guy and quite a player. Yngwie is a bit on the other side. Overtly stuck on themselves guitarists just come across to me as insecure. Almost like they are defending themselves and there ability at all times. Thankfully the instructors that we have here are pretty down to earth folks with a lack of A Hole Attitude which is not always the case with instructors. I've met instructors that are as bad or worse than Yngwie. It takes a confident person and player to avoid being arrogant. Arrogance is almost always just a shield for massive insecurity imho.

Todd

I totally agree with you, but holy c...p man! Yngwie is one of the most surefooted musicians I've ever seen. He performs like a hurricane! I think his insecurities are of a whole different nature... maybe some personal issues? Life? Family? Who knows?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:43 PM