Quick Licks #89 - One Handed Arpeggio Hammer Ons
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2019, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
This is a fun one. Using only the left hand, we are going to hammer on the strings and play a arpeggio and walk it up the neck. Use your right hand to mute the strings at the nut or at the bridge. I'm muting closer to the nut as it's just a fun way to mute. smile.gif You don't have to play this fast, any speed at all is ok. If you need work on your finger power, this is the cure!

Guitar Pro File
Attached File  89.gp5 ( 2.31K ) Number of downloads: 11642

Attached Image

This is a great way to sound really fast using only one hand. Hit me up with questions!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jul 27 2019, 08:34 PM
Learning Roadie
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USfU2xblx7c

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 28 2019, 08:39 AM

NICE! This one requires a good amount of finger power since once can't use a pick. Some folks will try this lick and it just wont make any sound. if you have put some time in working up finger power, this lick works like a charm! You clearly have worked up you FINGER POWER!!! Well played!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jul 27 2019, 03:34 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2020, 09:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 Sarge. I deliberately didn't use wads of gain to give you a good impression of whether my finger power is okay or not. One of the problems for me was having the muting arm in the way, I can't see how Matt was muting unless he had one of those hair bands around the first fret?

https://youtu.be/G__ZjKtSmP0

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2020, 06:26 AM
Nice! Matt was using his right hand on the bridge to mute. I had cut my thumb wide open and could not use my right hand at all and thus we have a batch of quick licks that have not picking, like this one! smile.gif You did quite well on this. It's a tricky bit of play and prone to wads of string noise. You have good finger control and pacing. It's easy to rush / lag this if one finger is in better shape than the others. Yours is smooth and controlled. SCORE!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
[color="#FF0000"][/color]
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 8 2020, 04:31 PM) *
Take 1 Sarge. I deliberately didn't use wads of gain to give you a good impression of whether my finger power is okay or not. One of the problems for me was having the muting arm in the way, I can't see how Matt was muting unless he had one of those hair bands around the first fret?

https://youtu.be/G__ZjKtSmP0

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2020, 06:43 AM
Thanks Todd,

I tried muting on the bridge but could only get a percussive "thunk" with each note. Any tips on bridge muting to still allow the notes to ring?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2020, 07:19 PM
Sure smile.gif Mute a bit lighter on the bridge (when you using bridge muting) until your left hand power gets stronger. As you continue to get more power on your left hand you can mute harder on your right hand or use the cross over technique where you put the right hand closer to the nut and practice building power on the left hand. It's really a simple matter of repetition. The more you focus on the left hand only licks, they better they will work. I've gotten my left hand strong enough that I don't need to pick anything when playing lead bits. The picking is just to add attack to the tone. it took a lot of playing with one hand, but it sure came in handy when I sliced my right thumb and couldn't hold a pick and made a series of these one handed licks.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 11 2020, 01:43 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I tried muting on the bridge but could only get a percussive "thunk" with each note. Any tips on bridge muting to still allow the notes to ring?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 11 2020, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2020, 07:34 PM
Thanks buddy,

I couldn't find the sweet spot between thunk and ring. I know most do the hand over top method but I'll try more with the bridge method.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 11 2020, 08:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:25 PM