> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >  
Lester's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2017, 01:28 PM
Instructor
Great! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lester
Mar 1 2017, 08:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

As promised an update on how the new practice schedule is going smile.gif

At first I was struggling quite a bit to really stick to the schedule, so I decided to get organised and organised all the lessons in a folder.
It helps me to have everything in a single place and I can switch to a new part instantly!

So now it's going better already.

Sometimes I really struggle with perfectionism when playing. When I don't feel especially fit, or I don't have 2 hours, but only 1 to practice, I tend to do nothing at all because I get frustrated with myself or my playing.
I am trying to get that out of my system, as it stops me sometimes from really enjoying to play or improvising freely.

So all in all this new schedule is helping me progress, which I good smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2017, 08:49 PM
Instructor
Yes, that's really good!

Try to relax and enjoy the sessions. Don't judge yourself and your playing every time you hold on the guitar. It can be very frustrating to judge our playing at every minute. Give yourself some time to assimilate the material.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Mar 28 2017, 08:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe!

I've been away from the guitar for about two weeks, but for a good reason:

Your other student (Leen94) and I got married! biggrin.gif

I remember promising to send you some pictures, so here they are smile.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Now I'll return to practicing wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2017, 02:58 AM
Instructor
Nice news!! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Jul 29 2017, 11:56 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

What's going on?
Hope you've been well! I haven't posted here in ages, hope that's ok wink.gif
I thought I'd give you an update on what I am up to and a progress vid as well smile.gif

So the last thing we were doing was working through a new practice routine which involves 5 min warmup, 25 min. technique, 45min for a song and 45 for improvising daily.
I really enjoy the routine and I am practicing more than ever, but...I usually don't do the improvising, because I cannot always free up 2 hours.
And another thing I noticed is that I usually start the week very disciplined and then end the week less so, probably because of other activities with friends, but because of that I do not practice all techniques equally.

This I can solve by just being more disciplined, but I also try to catch up a day in the weekend if I missed one...which I can do now, because I don't travel to stay with my girlfriend in the weekends anymore biggrin.gif
For improvising I decided to devote less time to it...so I spend 5 min. less on technique and also 25 min. less on improvising. I hope this helps me do all parts of practice, because it's easier to find 1.5 hours daily

I recorded a video of the bending technique lesson by David Walliman, some pitches are still a bit off I guess, but I'd like to know what you think:

Best,
Lester

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2017, 05:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester! Great to hear from you!!

I think that it's essential to edit your own routine to make it fit in your schedule and also to keep it motivating. The current plan sounds good for me. I think that the structure will give you good results. The key is also to have some guidelines on what to work each week in order to make a wise use of the different blocks.

This is also applicable for the improvisation section in which you could focus on 1 concept each day or week. By concept I mean a very wide quantity of elements that include both techniques and music theory.

How are you building the internal stuff in your blocks?

The video is good. I can note pitch issues here and there, so there is still more work to do. I think that it would be a good idea to dedicate at least 3 minutes every day to the first exercise of this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 9 2017, 09:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the feedback! I hope you had a great holiday smile.gif

So this is how I build up my blocks:

For warming up, I do chromatic runs, string skipping and the advanced power chord lesson from Muris.

In technique I usually just play the lessons for the technique section. Bending on Monday, vibrato on Tuesday, etc.
So if I memorized vid's 1 & 2 of any lesson within the 20 minutes, I add 3&4 the week after. And when I have memorized all of it, I try to play it as accurately as possible.
Right now I have memorized all the technique lessons fully, so I will try to add a new round of lessons shortly, while I keep on practicing the current ones. What could other guidelines be for the technique section?

For the songs, I print out the lyrics and chords if available, or otherwise I figure them out and write them on the sheet. Next I write down the degrees of the chord progression. Like I , IV, V, etc... and then I learn how to play it.

As for improvising: I have only done minor pentatonic and minor natural scale thus far. I just put on a backing track and start to play.
I can't really think of concepts to focus on each day or week, other than learning a new scale. Do you have some suggestions which I might work on?
I did analyze the BB's blues lesson I did before, since it's in minor pentatonic and I tried to apply those licks and variations of it to another backing

Thanks for the vid! I'll start working on it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 10 2017, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester! That sounds very good! The technique section is exactly how I would organize it. You can add exercises that you find like the one that I've shared from Satriani, to expand your work for each day. It's important to always incorporate new exercises into these sections.

Regarding the improvisation section, I'll send you some info via PM. Check it out in a moment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 10 2017, 04:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Allright, glad you like it! smile.gif I was watching some good youtube video's the other day and subscribed to channels like Paul Davids and Shut up & play.
Do you have any particular channels you'd recommend?

I checked my inbox, thank you for those files!
So the first one is G major scale, 3 notes per string. Is there any particular reason to play it that way? what is the advantage?
Usually I would play the positions in boxes of 4 frets smile.gif

I guess playing it like this can also help in legato runs?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2017, 05:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Aug 10 2017, 12:03 PM) *
Allright, glad you like it! smile.gif I was watching some good youtube video's the other day and subscribed to channels like Paul Davids and Shut up & play.
Do you have any particular channels you'd recommend?

I'm subscribed to my favorites so you can check at my Youtube channel. Rick Graham's channel is fantastic but a bit advanced too.

QUOTE (Lester @ Aug 10 2017, 12:03 PM) *
I checked my inbox, thank you for those files!
So the first one is G major scale, 3 notes per string. Is there any particular reason to play it that way? what is the advantage?
Usually I would play the positions in boxes of 4 frets smile.gif

I guess playing it like this can also help in legato runs?

It's just 1 approach to scales but it's very effective for technique. Most of the rock guitarists practice scales in that way to be able to visualize the fretboard more horizontally, and to play fast alternate picking, and legato runs.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 14 2017, 07:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Allright, sounds good! I had a look and subscribed to some of them smile.gif

I'll continue practicing and record a progress video soon!

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 14 2017, 09:49 PM
Learning Roadie
I had another question about those 3 notes per string improvisations smile.gif

When playing the major scale for the first time, I noticed that it's the same as the E minor scale, but the root notes are in different places, as are the positions. (G minor, position 1 starts at the 3rd fret, 6th string e.g., but that same G is in the 2nd position of the G major scale)

I have to really try to not land on the wrong notes, to only be playing a E minor scale, instead of a G major. Do I make any sense? biggrin.gif And do you have any tips on how to tackle major scale when you are only used to minor scale? or just practice? wink.gif

Also, is this why the 3 nps runs are stretched out over that many frets? because in minor scale you can start to play 3 nps over 4 frets only.
And should I practice the minor scale in the same way? Because usually when I cannot play 3nps within 4 frets, I just switch to 2 nps.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2017, 04:01 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester, that's a good question.

The best way to find the strong notes of a scale is to be able to see the chord inside of it. That's why you'll also find the CAGED system shapes. The trick is to see G major chord (root, maj 3rd and 5th) while playing the scale. These 3 notes are the strong notes in which you'll want to stay to make this sound major.

A more advanced approach is to also visualize triad shapes like in this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ed-with-triads/

Ionian mode is what we are calling Major scale here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 17 2017, 02:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 15 2017, 05:01 PM) *

The best way to find the strong notes of a scale is to be able to see the chord inside of it. That's why you'll also find the CAGED system shapes. The trick is to see G major chord (root, maj 3rd and 5th) while playing the scale. These 3 notes are the strong notes in which you'll want to stay to make this sound major.

A more advanced approach is to also visualize triad shapes like in this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ed-with-triads/

Sounds good! I have read about the CAGED system, but never really mastered it. I'll give it a go, thanks! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2017, 04:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Aug 17 2017, 10:50 AM) *
Sounds good! I have read about the CAGED system, but never really mastered it. I'll give it a go, thanks! biggrin.gif

Great! Keep me updated!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 27 2017, 05:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe!

So since I have memorized all of the previous technique lessons and am working on polishing them, I went ahead and selected a new bunch of lessons.
Instead of a vibrato lesson, I chose one on the subject of trills, since I really would like to develop that and also I guess I need more time on the current vibrato lesson.

I also tried to do lessons in the major scale, since I am doing the major scale in improvisation topics as well.
In bends and trills I chose two Jimmi Hendrix lessons, I think that will also help me a lot in blues improvisations. Much like the bendy blues and BB's blues I did previously.
And...it's cool to be able to play like Jimmi biggrin.gif

These are the lessons I picked:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/jimi_h...string_bending/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hendrix-Trills/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/legato-lesson/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoust...Hybrid-Picking/

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding these lessons?
I'll try to upload a progress video on all the previous technique lessons in the coming week! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2017, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester,

I love each of the lessons that you've picked, and I usually recommend them to students so I have to say that you've done a great research and choice. That's a lot of material so be wise organizing your time to get the most of each technique and lesson. I'll be here waiting for your updates.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 30 2017, 10:05 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 15 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Hi Gabe,

I've been wondering about this major soloing:

In Major Blues theory, I've read that in orde to use the Major Blues scale, the scales will need to switch with each chord in the blues progression. So A7 get A major Blues, D7 gets D major blues, etc.
Is this the same for the major scale over a non-blues backing track? Is that different in any way?

I experimented a bit with the scale and on some backing tracks it doesn't sound good at all when I just play scale positions regardless of chords. But it could be that I am just not used to the scale yet.
However, on "Moving on and getting over" by John Mayer, which I am learning right now, it sounds fine. this could be coincidence too.

I'd love your input on this, these new scales are challenging biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2017, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

There are different approches to this and it's not a simple thing to explain in a paragraph. Also, it can be confusing at first so let's go slowly with this. At this point let's see Blues theory as a different thing. On the other hand, we have diatonic chord progressions wich are based and related to a major scale. In other words, these progressions are based on chords that are build from a Major scale. In this cases, you can keep the same scale along the whole progression, and it will sound good. However, some notes will sound better than others over each chord (chord notes).

Please get into this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47852

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:22 AM