Lesson Request: In The Style Of . . ., tom morrello
Aaron
May 24 2007, 01:09 AM
GMC:er
ok im not sure if i spelled Tom Morrello right but i really want to learn his style . . . . who doesnt?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ezravdb
May 24 2007, 02:23 PM
get a whammy pedal and a killswitch or an les paul with 4 knobs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 25 2007, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ May 24 2007, 09:23 AM) *
get a whammy pedal and a killswitch or an les paul with 4 knobs.

what exactly does that have to do with learning the style of Tom Morrello....?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2007, 01:40 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (stratman33 @ May 24 2007, 08:03 PM) *
what exactly does that have to do with learning the style of Tom Morrello....?

I think what he's getting at, is that a lot of what Tom Morellos' style is has to do with his sound and the effects he does with his guitar.

What makes Morello so different is that he can make a guitar sound not like a guitar. His helicopter, laughing monkey, and his hip hop DJ stuff is so amazing and the fact it's done on guitar is even more so. He uses a realitivly simple set up of a Delay, Wah and Whammy pedal with a signal boost and an MXR Phase 90. And with the use of his toggle switch as a sort of picking style he creates some amazing stuff. (He uses two pickups with a volume knob for each. One turned all the way up one all the way down. The toggle is used as a kill switch to make the guitar sound go off and on. His Strat is custom made with a toggle, the Les Paul is usually used in Drop D I believe)

I'm a huge Morello fan and have been trying to learn a lot of his stuff and his toggle switch technique is tricky to get just right....but very fun to play. It would be a very interesting lesson if done right. The December 2006 issue of Guitar World had a fantasic article on Morello. Talked about how he got some of his sounds and how to play some of his most popular stuff like Cochise, Killing in the Name, Bulls on Parade to name a few.

+Quote Post
Aaron
May 25 2007, 02:24 AM
I think what he's getting at, is that a lot of what Tom Morellos' style is has to do with his sound and the effects he does with his guitar.

What makes Morello so different is that he can make a guitar sound not like a guitar. His helicopter, laughing monkey, and his hip hop DJ stuff is so amazing and the fact it's done on guitar is even more so. He uses a realitivly simple set up of a Delay, Wah and Whammy pedal with a signal boost and an MXR Phase 90. And with the use of his toggle switch as a sort of picking style he creates some amazing stuff. (He uses two pickups with a volume knob for each. One turned all the way up one all the way down. The toggle is used as a kill switch to make the guitar sound go off and on. His Strat is custom made with a toggle, the Les Paul is usually used in Drop D I believe)

I'm a huge Morello fan and have been trying to learn a lot of his stuff and his toggle switch technique is tricky to get just right....but very fun to play. It would be a very interesting lesson if done right. The December 2006 issue of Guitar World had a fantasic article on Morello. Talked about how he got some of his sounds and how to play some of his most popular stuff like Cochise, Killing in the Name, Bulls on Parade to name a few.

that is exactly wut i was talking about. i really want to learn his stlye but i need different guitars and all the pedals etc etc etc

@rokchik: did you go see rage at coachella. it was sick!!!!! when i looked around most of the other stages had very few people bcuz everyone was there 2 see rage

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2007, 02:44 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 24 2007, 10:24 PM) *
that is exactly wut i was talking about. i really want to learn his stlye but i need different guitars and all the pedals etc etc etc

@rokchik: did you go see rage at coachella. it was sick!!!!! when i looked around most of the other stages had very few people bcuz everyone was there 2 see rage

No...tear drops...I saw bits on youtube. I would have sold my soul to be there though.

+Quote Post
Aaron
May 25 2007, 02:50 AM
@rokchik: that sux!!!!!! well rage is going to play at rock the bells . . . . are you going to that?

(I WENT TO COACHELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2007, 03:07 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 24 2007, 10:50 PM) *
@rokchik: that sux!!!!!! well rage is going to play at rock the bells . . . . are you going to that?

(I WENT TO COACHELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif )

I live in Canada and work is kinda crazy right now so vacation hard to come by...I would love to be there but I don't think my sched. will allow. I miss all the good stuff!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Aaron
May 25 2007, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ May 24 2007, 07:07 PM) *
I live in Canada and work is kinda crazy right now so vacation hard to come by...I would love to be there but I don't think my sched. will allow. I miss all the good stuff!!!!!!!

o. . . well im going to it so im happy lol. hope u can make it!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2007, 10:42 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 25 2007, 01:36 PM) *
o. . . well im going to it so im happy lol. hope u can make it!!!!

Lucky. You'll have to post after and let me know everything Rage did. I wish they'd do another album but by the sounds of things that's a long way off what they have planned. Wish I could go....sigh....

+Quote Post
Aaron
May 25 2007, 11:53 PM
i will

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:14 PM