Frank Gambale Talks About Modes...
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 24 2021, 07:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
...with Rick Beato.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2021, 02:51 AM
GMC:er
Just now ran across this for some reason? Thanks for the share smile.gif I'm a fan of Gambale's playing and back in the day he was a very big guy on the shred scene even though he didn't really do shred, more jazzy stuff. He's just an amazing player imho.

Here is a troy grady video about Franks technique.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 24 2021, 02:19 PM) *
...with Rick Beato.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 9 2021, 09:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing, I kinda know what modes are but I don't understand how to use them.

For instance, just using the white keys on piano (C major / A minor) I can't see how to get different feelings or musical essences/flavours by starting from a different note, maybe it's just my ears.

I do find it fascinating though, Gambale is immense. cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 9 2021, 02:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 9 2021, 10:46 AM) *
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing, I kinda know what modes are but I don't understand how to use them.

For instance, just using the white keys on piano (C major / A minor) I can't see how to get different feelings or musical essences/flavours by starting from a different note, maybe it's just my ears.

For me, as Frank says, it should probably called "moods" and not "modes". That is one of the shortest and best explanations I've heard. Dorian is one mood, Lydian is a different one and so on. It's not just "starting from a different note" imo though, it's the whole combination of notes in the lead and backing track. If you're playing an A minor scale over a C major chord it's gonna sound like you're playing something "happy" still. However playing an A minor scale over an E minor chord will sound more "aggressive" (phrygian). Anyway, that's more my interpretation of the "moods".

I made this short example about 2 years back. Maybe not the best, but yeah:

]

Here's Frank's Modes no More Mystery:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 9 2021, 04:22 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 9 2021, 02:17 PM) *
For me, as Frank says, it should probably called "moods" and not "modes". That is one of the shortest and best explanations I've heard. Dorian is one mood, Lydian is a different one and so on. It's not just "starting from a different note" imo though, it's the whole combination of notes in the lead and backing track. If you're playing an A minor scale over a C major chord it's gonna sound like you're playing something "happy" still. However playing an A minor scale over an E minor chord will sound more "aggressive" (phrygian). Anyway, that's more my interpretation of the "moods".

I made this short example about 2 years back. Maybe not the best, but yeah:

]

Here's Frank's Modes no More Mystery:

Whenever I listen to people talk theory like that No More Mystery video, it makes sense, then when I think about it later, I get confused. Maybe it's my ear, if I played only the white keys on a keyboard, I would know if I was playing one of the modes or a multitude of modes, I'd just play what sounded okay to me.

I really struggle with this kind of thing.

Thanks for trying though buddy cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 9 2021, 07:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Oct 9 2021, 05:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 9 2021, 11:46 AM) *

It all depends on what the bass note or the chord is; if you have a piano, play and hold a low C note. While doing that, play any white key. You will be playing C Ionian.

If you play and hold a low B note, and then start hitting any white key on the piano, you'd be playing B Locrian.

But to really hear the difference between each of those, you should play and hold one note (i.e. A) and try playing different modes in A (i.e. A lydian, A Dorian etc.)

That's when you will listen how different modes are, and what kind of "mood" they give.

I hope I helped smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 9 2021, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Oct 9 2021, 05:22 PM) *
It all depends on what the bass note or the chord is; if you have a piano, play and hold a low C note. While doing that, play any white key. You will be playing C Ionian.

If you play and hold a low B note, and then start hitting any white key on the piano, you'd be playing B Locrian.

But to really hear the difference between each of those, you should play and hold one note (i.e. A) and try playing different modes in A (i.e. A lydian, A Dorian etc.)

That's when you will listen how different modes are, and what kind of "mood" they give.

I hope I helped smile.gif

Thanks Steve, one day there will be a light bulb moment hopefully smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 9 2021, 07:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 9 2021, 10:40 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 9 2021, 07:42 PM) *
Thanks Steve, one day there will be a light bulb moment hopefully smile.gif

I guess it's just diferent shades, If u have a simple C going on the background and play Eb then E, your will get two distincts shades of C.
Every note as its own flavour against a Root.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 10 2021, 04:20 PM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Oct 9 2021, 10:40 PM) *
I guess it's just diferent shades, If u have a simple C going on the background and play Eb then E, your will get two distincts shades of C.
Every note as its own flavour against a Root.

Thanks, I think I need to experiment in order to understand what you're saying wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:40 AM