Virtual Concerts?
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2013, 07:08 AM
GMC:er
The trend of "Virtual Concerts" so to speak, is finally getting some traction. It's not for everyone, but some bands, even smaller ones, are managing to generate revenue with exclusive "Live" to stream events. A local band in Atlanta called the QUITE HOUNDS is doing this. They charge five bucks for a ticket to the show which happens online. It's a live event and they record the show which they can give/sell later. Live events are driving the bulk revenue for the "biz" along with Merch now that actual music products (mp3/cd) is a loss leader.

I"m not personally going to be paying hard cash to see a "live stream" I don't think, since as soon as it's over somebody will post it on youtube as a bootleg. But thats not to say there are not people willing to pay.

Here is an article on HYPEBOT about this issue and mentions the QUIET HOUNDS (They played on Indieatl.com recently where my buddy matt streamed it live and recorded to hard drive)

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2013/01/are...ic-revenue.html

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2013, 08:53 AM
Instructor
I think it's a good thing for people which are NOT able to make it to a concert, but just for that smile.gif

If you are a band's die hard fan and you want to see a show, you should have the possibility to do so, right? And if a band that has reached a level of professionalism and recognition which allows them to spend some serious cash into releasing a service such as this, puts some effort into making it available, it's only for the best for them smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 14 2013, 11:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Check out Couch By Couch West. it's an online alternative to Austins SXSW for bands that couldn't afford to play, weren't invited or just couldn't go.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2013, 05:40 PM
Instructor
This is also happening here in Argentina, but this type of concerts are free, just for promotion. I'm sure that nobody would pay here in my country for a virtual concert so I think that the way to go is getting sponsors.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2013, 01:13 AM
Believe it or not, the costs of doing this can be quite low. You could just stream any live show using the feed from the mixing board and a web cam. So if a band has any sort of following, even if the fans are spread out all over the world, they could all attend. So it plays well to the "Micro Niche" aspect of music. Sort of like cable TV, instead of Broadcast TV.

Still, this sort of thing (requiring payment) is more for established acts it seems. But new acts could still do it, but use it as promo and give away the stream smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 14 2013, 02:53 AM) *
I think it's a good thing for people which are NOT able to make it to a concert, but just for that smile.gif

If you are a band's die hard fan and you want to see a show, you should have the possibility to do so, right? And if a band that has reached a level of professionalism and recognition which allows them to spend some serious cash into releasing a service such as this, puts some effort into making it available, it's only for the best for them smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 14 2013, 05:08 AM) *
Check out Couch By Couch West. it's an online alternative to Austins SXSW for bands that couldn't afford to play, weren't invited or just couldn't go.

Thats hilarious! Is it real or a gag? Got a link?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2013, 09:16 AM
Instructor
Todd, but wouldn't the streaming have latency or interruptions? I think it could affect the quality a lot, depending on various factors, right? I think people could easily get annoyed by the fact that they can't watch a gig at a quality such as this one for instance:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2013, 09:49 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think that this was inevitable. Streaming technology has advanced so much and it makes so much sense for bands to live stream their concerts or do small private gigs online. This kind of thing of course can't replace the real concert, but it does feel exclusive and interactive. Its also very good promotion for smaller acts which can't do tours or where local clubs choice is not that good.

With a good and stable internet connection - no interruption should happen and nowadays its relatively easy to stream crystal clear HD video live (with use of right equipment).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Feb 15 2013, 09:56 AM
All this what's happening today is pretty weird... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2013, 01:29 AM
It really is an almos unavoidable conclusion to the development of technolog, fragmenting of audience and rise of costs of touring etc. You can have an exclusive concert, for fans only, if needed, and reach your fan base even if you can't make it to where they are or vice versa. I personally think that large acts will start embracing the "on demand web stream" during their actual live tours. And smaller acts can add value to their brand by offering exclusive events and then using those events as promo for a larger audience after the fact.

Todd

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 15 2013, 03:49 AM) *
I think that this was inevitable. Streaming technology has advanced so much and it makes so much sense for bands to live stream their concerts or do small private gigs online. This kind of thing of course can't replace the real concert, but it does feel exclusive and interactive. Its also very good promotion for smaller acts which can't do tours or where local clubs choice is not that good.

With a good and stable internet connection - no interruption should happen and nowadays its relatively easy to stream crystal clear HD video live (with use of right equipment).

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2013, 04:41 PM
Instructor
Another thing, which is similar to this, because of its exclusive nature, was a Twitter gig that a famous female artist (can't remember the name) threw in especially for her fans - she twitted the details and ONLY the people that had her twitter account could come, because they were the only ones who received the information about the location, date and hour. It turned up as a 'small gig' having an audience of only 400 people laugh.gif

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Feb 19 2013, 12:45 PM
The whole idea is great, I'd pay to see virtual gigs. The ticket prices will be cheaper and you can see anyone anywhere. Now just to convince Allan Holdsworth that its a good idea wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2013, 11:18 PM
I think Alan Holdsworth will probably embrace this! It would make sense for folks like him, and others to do something like this as they have really strong cult followings but not huge mainstream appeal. So they could have a virtual show and all their fans from planet earth could see it in real time. I hope they add live chat to these types of concerts so viewers can ask questions of the artists after the show. That would make the cost of admission a bit more agreeable smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Feb 19 2013, 06:45 AM) *
The whole idea is great, I'd pay to see virtual gigs. The ticket prices will be cheaper and you can see anyone anywhere. Now just to convince Allan Holdsworth that its a good idea wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:16 PM