Advice Wanted - Making Youtube Vids
SixStringSamurai
Aug 3 2013, 12:05 PM
GMC:er
So... I know that all the instructors are extremely experienced with making guitar vids, and I'd like to ask for some advice from you guys (and anyone else who cares to offer some).

Since I've launched Six-String Samurai, we've primarily done text + audio based reviews. This is a format that I like, mostly because I enjoy writing.

However, I know that to get more readers/viewers/etc, Youtube is probably THE biggest avenue for gear clips these days, and 6SS is missing out on this.

Personally... I can write, I can stand up in front of people and play and sing in a band... but I'm camera shy laugh.gif I don't want to be on camera or talk on camera or anything like that. But I know I have to push myself to try, to get my reviews out there more.

Anyway... just thought I'd ask, what your process is for making videos? What software do you use to edit? (I'm on Windows) How many takes do you do? Do you write a script, or something like that? Any advice and thoughts really would be greatly appreciated.

And also, we're always looking for new contributors, so if anyone would like to come on board we would be more than happy to have you on the team! smile.gif

Cheers,
Ed

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SixStringSamurai: Aug 3 2013, 12:06 PM

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 3 2013, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Hi there!

As for the software Sony Vegas and Windows Movie Maker are probably the most friendly with their interface. Raw video files quality is the most important. I've learned some trick fixing the colors at the processing stage but none of it had even close result to the good raw video file from the DSLR cam

As for the "in front of the camera" behavior...

I don't write any script but thoughht it's a good idea. I usually improvise 4 to 5 times a then I have a full concept of what I need to say in my head. Then it goes smoother smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2013, 05:34 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I use Sony Vegas for editing my videos. I don't use to talk on many of my videos but I know about somethings called "Teleprompter" that is a display device that can help you to say very long speeches without memorizing them.

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprompter

Congrats on your site! It looks great!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 4 2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor
I also use Sony Vegas, which works well smile.gif

For my first few lessons, I used to write out notes for what I wanted to say, now I just improvise. Some days it's easier than others but you will get more comfortable at it smile.gif

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Aug 5 2013, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check out Sony Vegas. I've been using CyberLink Power Director and found it to be quite clunky... not that I have much experience with video editing software!

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2013, 08:31 PM
Todd here smile.gif Making youtube vids is just part of the landscape these days so there are some bits to keep in mind.

1.)Shorter us usually better. (Try to keep it under 3 minutes if possible)
2.)Cut to the chase ( Don't waste time on a long intro, folks will just leave)
3.)For demo vids, focus on the demo. Used to be you could chat it up, nowadays that's over. Ola Englund makes a good reference point. Just straight to the demo. Very little talking.

I'd be happy to contribute some vids smile.gif I'm sure everyone else would as well! smile.gif
What are you looking for? Technique vids, gear vids?

Todd

QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Aug 3 2013, 07:05 AM) *
So... I know that all the instructors are extremely experienced with making guitar vids, and I'd like to ask for some advice from you guys (and anyone else who cares to offer some).

Since I've launched Six-String Samurai, we've primarily done text + audio based reviews. This is a format that I like, mostly because I enjoy writing.

However, I know that to get more readers/viewers/etc, Youtube is probably THE biggest avenue for gear clips these days, and 6SS is missing out on this.

Personally... I can write, I can stand up in front of people and play and sing in a band... but I'm camera shy laugh.gif I don't want to be on camera or talk on camera or anything like that. But I know I have to push myself to try, to get my reviews out there more.

Anyway... just thought I'd ask, what your process is for making videos? What software do you use to edit? (I'm on Windows) How many takes do you do? Do you write a script, or something like that? Any advice and thoughts really would be greatly appreciated.

And also, we're always looking for new contributors, so if anyone would like to come on board we would be more than happy to have you on the team! smile.gif

Cheers,
Ed

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:37 AM