Bands That Keep Dignity...
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2011, 09:39 AM
Instructor
Some bands have always maintained their dignity throughout their careers and have been very professional in what they do, and what they don't do. Some bands seem to make bad desicion after bad decision and also air their dirty laundry in public..

Sometimes it's bad management, sometimes it's just the bands themselves..

I think Iron Maiden are a great example of a band that has (mostly) had a sensible relationship with the media/fans and never lost their dignity.. .. however bands that seem to be suffering recently because of confusing desicions/mixed messages and just sheer chaos are Anthrax and now even the mighty Judas Priest..

so what bands do you think have retained respect and dignity and what bands have lost it ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 24 2011, 10:30 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A lot of the US hardcore goups like NoMeansNo, Jello Biafra, Black Flag, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat etc would get my vote for maintaining their dignity. Most tour regularly and keep ticket and CD prices low and remain on indie labels like SST because the labels share the same philosophy as the bands and their fans.

There are also some long standing indie groups like Wolf Eyes, Nurse with Wounds, Angels of Light/Swans, Matmos, Autechre who always seem to remain true to their music and don't seem interested in money and fame and so, to me, retain their dignity.

Sadly Nirvana lost theirs imho when they moved labels from Subpop to Geffen and not just because Kobain went in to a personal and very public meltdown with Courtney. You can probably add Courtney's band Hole - started well but lost it because Courtney became a victim of her own ego, image and publicity and so lost any dignity that she had.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
zen
Jun 24 2011, 11:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Maiden .. Opeth ...

p.s - i was too tempted to write metallica

This post has been edited by zen: Jun 24 2011, 11:27 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 24 2011, 11:45 AM
GMC:er
Came in here to say Maiden, too.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2011, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Yeah Opeth have seemed pretty free of public drama so far !

Maiden seem to be the models of dignity ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 24 2011, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Foo Fighters smile.gif I find them a very sincere kind of band - Dave Grohl seems to be that kind of man that pours sincerity out of his every pore when he performs.

As for the other category, think that there are a lot of examples, but let's not judge people smile.gif we may not know all the details and that wouldn't be fair, would it?

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Jun 24 2011, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
Check "Anvil" 15 records - more than 30 years together - never won a dollar with their music (yes they are old school metal)

Their movie almost make my cry, read it, is he answer to this thread!

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2011, 12:12 AM
Instructor
First name that come is Iron Maiden! but there are many examples!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 25 2011, 08:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't understand. What's an example of a band who has lost their dignity?

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jun 25 2011, 08:20 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 26 2011, 01:32 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Maiden for sure, Opeth is a good one. Blind Guardian is another good one. Cannibal Corpse have always been great guys in person, always kept their music true. Iced Earth is a major one as well, mostly due to the fact that Jon Schaffer inherited his ideas of band managing ethics so to speak, from the mighty Maiden themselves.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 26 2011, 08:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 25 2011, 08:19 PM) *
I don't understand. What's an example of a band who has lost their dignity?

You could say it is bands that have lost the respect of their fans through increasingly bad desicions and poor behaviour.. or taking years and years to release albums.. or have made painfully obvious 'commercial' desicions..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 26 2011, 01:07 PM
Instructor
This is slightly offtopic but I gotta ask you guys:

Is it just me, or did more bands loose dignity than solo artists (guitar players/vocalists for example)? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 26 2011, 01:07 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 26 2011, 03:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
AC/DC of course biggrin.gif They do everything right.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:34 PM