Getting Started
nickmarx12345678
Mar 22 2008, 02:41 AM
GMC:er
Alright I have big question for all of you on here, especially the instructors
So I really want to start playing in front of people but I have no idea how to go about doing it
For example where to play, what to play, who to play it with, how to get my name out there
any ideas/advice would be appreciated or your story of how you got in the world of live guitar smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 22 2008, 05:43 AM
My 2 cents about playing live basically goes like this.. if you want to play live.. you have to find shows.. don't wait for shows to find you.. because more than not.. they wont. Go to guitar shops and look at their posting boards.. usually you can find little battle of the bands and stuff like that on there.. find little shows where the crowed wont be so picky and then play what you like.. but try and keep it mainstream.. the best way to get noticed i find is to play songs everyday people know.. When i first starting gigging we played alot of Red Hot Chili Peppers just because it was fun.. rather easy.. and everyone knew it smile.gif Where to play could be anywhere.. im not sure of your age.. but highschools have plenty of battle of the bands and lots of shows where you can show your guitar talants.. local libraries, bars, small clubs or small venues specifically for shows. Even on the street if you really just feel like playing smile.gif surround yourself with credible musicians.. or just friends who can play the stuff you can roughly as well..play stuff people want to hear at first.. then once you've gotten used to having a crowed thats when you can expand into playing your own stuff. Get a band or just play with who ever.. many people go about live stuff differently so wait for some of the instructors comments.. the one thing that is for sure

YOU HAVE TO FIND PLACES TO PLAY.. unfortunatly.. they wont find you too often... sad.gif smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 22 2008, 10:15 AM
Instructor
Well, first you have to know what type of music your into, and do you wanna work in a band, alone with a singer, one man band etc. When you decide (supposedly you wanna play in a band), than you must find a band that will work for you. You must watch the band advert on finding new musicians some time, and when you have the chance grab it. Then you can play the shows relatively easily, since you can find a gig that needs a band of your profile.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 22 2008, 12:41 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Also.. dont think, that you will stand with first band forever:D also dont think, that your first concert will have thousands of viewers:) take it slowly and chose wisely.. dont get stuck in a nonactive band... its waste of time:)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 22 2008, 12:43 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 22 2008, 12:50 PM
As smikey said, you need to search for gigs. But before you to that you gotta solve a bigger problem: finding a band tongue.gif
i was very lucky, i had two friends that played drums and bass. They asked me to join, and we started off by covering one song, Run to The Hills by Iron Maiden. Of course it was not very accurate and not well played, but it was a start laugh.gif
Then we immediately started making our own songs. I would suggest that you make your own songs as early as possible, and play them live, but starting off with a few covers is also a good idea smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 22 2008, 12:52 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Well we spent 2 years as cover band.. and now are slowly changing on our own songs.. I think its good to start on covers since you get a lot of experiences (if you are sensitive...) on composing progess of other artists.. so first of all, I would do say.. 15 covers.. especially, if you are beginner band with no experiences on board etc..

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 22 2008, 12:56 PM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 22 2008, 12:52 PM) *
Well we spent 2 years as cover band.. and now are slowly changing on our own songs.. I think its good to start on covers since you get a lot of experiences (if you are sensitive...) on composing progess of other artists.. so first of all, I would do say.. 15 covers.. especially, if you are beginner band with no experiences on board etc..

Sure, i agree that its good to start with covers, but i think its very important to practice your songwriting skills with your band as well. The first songs your band make will of course be super bad, but you gotta start somewhere. They will get better for every time you try tongue.gif So my suggestion would be, do both. Play covers and make your own songs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 22 2008, 12:58 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Sure but on stage its better to play covers because of audience reaction.. you know.. its VERY BAD, if you get booed on your own song sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 22 2008, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Well, it is very bad of course and some covers are welcome on some gigs it depends. Booing is something that a band's fault mainly, either being too unprofessional, or bad contact with an audience, or sometimes the audience simply don't likes them even if they are good, but that is very rare imo.

I think the main thing for you to do man, is to search for a band on adverts or from your friends. And don't get in the band just because it is your first oportunity, talk to band members see how serious they are about playing and gigging, know their commitment and then if you are alright with that then join in.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 22 2008, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 22 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Sure but on stage its better to play covers because of audience reaction.. you know.. its VERY BAD, if you get booed on your own song sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

That kinda makes sense, but it wont necessarily happen.

I used to have two bands, one of them made their own songs and the other played cover songs, mainly Iron Maiden.

The band i played in that covered songs were, at the time, better technically skilled and more popular than my other band wich made our own songs.

Both bands played in a talent competition this one time. A while after the concert people yelled "you are a shame for iron maiden" at us when they saw us.

My other band that played original songs on the other hand, won the competition and got lots of good words by many people.

so again my suggestion would be to play covers as well as making your own songs, also live smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:49 AM