3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Tom Morello, You either love him or you hate him
rokchik
May 24 2008, 01:20 AM
The Dark Canuck
Hello GMC,

I was having a discussion today with my cousin and one of his friends about Mr. Morello. As most here know he is probably my favorite guitarist along with Page. My cousins friend apparently is anything but a fan. Now he plays guitar and is in a band but he's more of an Opeth, Death, Cannibal Corpse type guy and doesn't like Rage or Audioslave at all. His view is that Morello makes nothing but noise and he covers his ears when ever he hears a Morello solo. He claims that Morello has no talent and relies to much on digital equipment.

Personally I think Morello is one of the most original artists out there. His sound is certainly unique and instantly recognizable. I love how he creates sounds that one would never think could come from a guitar. He may not be traditional per say but he's definitely talented. Now I think he is certainly one of those guys who you either really like or you really hate which is fine not everyone is gonna like everyone. But I believe he does deserve some credit for his style of play.

So what do you guys think?

Tom Morello Solos

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 24 2008, 01:26 AM
GMC:er
i love tom and his use of effects is awsome!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 24 2008, 02:18 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Nick325 @ May 23 2008, 09:26 PM) *
i love tom and his use of effects is awsome!

Yes he sure knows how to the rock the whammy and wah pedals that's for sure smile.gif

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 24 2008, 02:20 AM
Personally I think he is just OK, I don't love him or hate him. I don't understand how rubbing your hands on the strings, or slapping a pen on them while using whammy effects equals EXTREMELY ORIGINAL, but once you get past all that nonsense, he is just like any other decent guitarist. Just my opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chast
May 24 2008, 02:23 AM
Learning Roadie
Tom Morello is very creative, not the best guitar player ever, but he is very creative (as already said tongue.gif) and that is what is important (imo) and he has a nice groove.
I really like how he uses the effects in a way that isn't done by everybody else, he uses the effects in a good musical way.

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
May 24 2008, 02:28 AM
i love him, but youd already know that from the pic my signature!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 24 2008, 02:46 AM
I love these two videos from Guitar World where he explains how he does what he does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-nF8jG3Hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWHSC3gQkA

In the second video he talks about having a "disregard for the tradition of the instrument" and I think that's the best part of what he's about. He's not using a ton of effects, he's not using any shred magic...he's just trying to use what he has in different and interesting ways. That's more interesting to me than sweeping at 230bpm.

And I love, love, LOVE the sound of his wah. Before I caught those videos, I thought it was some weird pile of gear, but it's just a vintage CryBaby?!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 24 2008, 03:09 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ May 23 2008, 10:46 PM) *
I love these two videos from Guitar World where he explains how he does what he does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-nF8jG3Hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWHSC3gQkA

In the second video he talks about having a "disregard for the tradition of the instrument" and I think that's the best part of what he's about. He's not using a ton of effects, he's not using any shred magic...he's just trying to use what he has in different and interesting ways. That's more interesting to me than sweeping at 230bpm.

And I love, love, LOVE the sound of his wah. Before I caught those videos, I thought it was some weird pile of gear, but it's just a vintage CryBaby?!

Yes his set up is pretty simple. Most of his solos are either with a Crybaby or a Whammy he's just creative in his use of them. ( he also uses a delay, EQ and Flanger pedal I believe) He gets such unique sounds and like you mention his disregard for tradition certainly sets him apart from other artists as he's basically trying to make a guitar not sound like a guitar. I read somewhere that when RATM were forming they wanted a DJ type sound. This is where Tom stepped up and basically became the DJ but with his guitar instead of turn tables.

EDIT: Great videos by the way. I have that GW magazine and CD pretty much worn out smile.gif

This post has been edited by rokchik: May 24 2008, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 24 2008, 04:04 AM
Singing Instructor
I think that Morello is one of the best and one of the most original.And you can hear in his solos(in Audioslave) that he is actually fast(he can shred)witch is the basic ground to be original like he is.IMO

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 24 2008, 05:42 AM
He doesn't really move me in any way. He's gadget savvy, but his playing lacks emotion. From a band standpoint, I guess Audioslave is okay, but from a guitarists' pespective, I'd rather listen to less effects, and more virtuosity. Of course, now, that's just me...in other words... YAWN!!!

This post has been edited by FrankW: May 24 2008, 06:32 AM

+Quote Post
erik
May 24 2008, 10:16 AM
I love his riffs! But I don't like all his soloes..

Going to see RATM i june!!!!!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 24 2008, 10:41 AM
I love Tom Morello. And I'm still into bands like Opeth, etc, so I don't think it has that much to do with that. He used to be my favourite guitarist, but now I "just" think that he's awesome. I mean, his solo style is unique and amazing. And he's just an amazing musician in general, just look at The Nightwatchman.

So yeah, I love him. Sure, he relies a lot on digital equipment, but that's his style and he uses it really well, so I see no reason to complain.

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: May 24 2008, 10:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
May 24 2008, 10:50 AM
I can't stand him, hes probably my least favourite guitarist of all time. I just about managed to get through 50 seconds of that video...he sounds like a mouse dying an excruciating death blink.gif

If other people like him then thats great...I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
May 24 2008, 01:18 PM
he is good at imitating other instruments using a few pedals. I'm not gonna call him great or influential or something along the lines, but he is good for what he does best. I don't really see him as a soloing player though, even most of his solo's only consist of it being experimental sounds.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 24 2008, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 24 2008, 10:41 AM) *
I love Tom Morello. And I'm still into bands like Opeth, etc, so I don't think it has that much to do with that. He used to be my favourite guitarist, but now I "just" think that he's awesome. I mean, his solo style is unique and amazing. And he's just an amazing musician in general, just look at The Nightwatchman.

So yeah, I love him. Sure, he relies a lot on digital equipment, but that's his style and he uses it really well, so I see no reason to complain.

Nobody's complaining, man. Rokchik asked for opinions, and she got them. To each his, (or her), own...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 24 2008, 02:49 PM
Instructor
He's a great guy, his stuff is very original and he definitely broke some barriers in using the wah and whammy pedal.

In music it's all about expression, style and feel for the music. I think he found everything written pretty good.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 24 2008, 02:51 PM
Instructor
When you listen to him for the first time, you may think he have a huge rack behind him...well...not...he just use some tricks to make incredible effects...and it's an Harvard graduate too...d'oh!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 24 2008, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (FrankW @ May 24 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Nobody's complaining, man. Rokchik asked for opinions, and she got them. To each his, (or her), own...

I wasn't saying anybody was, I just said that I saw no reason for me to complain and I like him smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 24 2008, 03:16 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 24 2008, 02:51 PM) *
I wasn't saying anybody was, I just said that I saw no reason for me to complain and I like him smile.gif

Gotcha. And I will say this, he's making a whole lot more money playing music than I am! I will give him that.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 24 2008, 06:55 PM
I really enjoy his riffs, his work with RATM is incredible its just pure heavy and i like that smile.gif but i don't know if im a fan of his solos. I have the dvd for Live in New mexico and i like his recorded solos better than live ones. I love his use of effects in intro and stuff example - The effects used in Know Your Enemy intro are awsome same with People of the Sun and the main riff in Calm like a bomb, but i think it has limited ability to solo with, sometimes it just sounds like hes trying to make noise, its the same concept with using feedback in solos, it has a place but there are times when it is overused example We Are the Road Crew by Motorhead.. wayyy too much feedback in the solo.. same idea with Morellos original tones, its awsome IN MODERATION smile.gif

as a total overview i love his work i just think there is a time and a place for every cool technique

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:04 PM