3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Tom Morello, You either love him or you hate him
Bogdan Radovic
May 24 2008, 07:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I like his style and I think he is very original and explored some new frontiers!! Just amazing use of effects! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 24 2008, 10:29 PM
The Dark Canuck
Well it's nice too see there are more fans then not tongue.gif

And yes FrankW I asked for everyones opinion good or bad. I think Morello is a great guitarist to discuss as he's unique whether you agree in a good way or not. I realize not everyone will be fans but it's nice to see the reasoning behind it. I'm a huge fan so obviously I'll always say he's great but I do realize his style is not for everyone. I find it interesting how many enjoy his use of effects but for that same reason many dislike him. But I think he still has some great guitar chops under all that whammy and crybaby work.

The guy that got me on this topic just thought Morello was noise. Now he considers himself more of traditionalist I guess is the best word and didn't like as he says "the Hendrix approach to guitar" (His words not mine). Now I said he was into stuff like Opeth etc but I wasn't trying to say that if you like that you won't like Morello. That was just that guy. His beef was also with all the effects and stuff like scratching the strings and what have you. He feels it's too "Hip Hop". Now this was the main idea for Morello's style with RATM as he even stated he studied more DJ's then guitarist while with Rage. I found he toned that down a bit with Audioslave. Yes he still had the unique sound but the "Hip Hop" undertones where not there.( although I've bopped my head to a few songs smile.gif ) I've chatted with a few folks who actually prefer his Audioslave work due to this very reason. This also brings me to his Nightwatchman work. Acousic guitar, no effects. Great stuff and I think it shows he really is a talented musician.

So which do folks prefer Morello with Rage, Morello with Audioslave or his Nightwatchmen stuff? Or none of it as the case may be?

I like it all but if I was choose one I think it would have to Rage. His Metal/punk/funk/hip hop infusion is just intoxicating to me. Riffs, solos don't matter. For me it's all good smile.gif

rok

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 24 2008, 10:33 PM
GMC:er
Well, I think I prefer him in RATM most, but maybe that's because that's where I heard him first and therefore I think he belongs there most somehow. The Nightwatchman is incredible though, but that's more about him as a really good musician than him as a guitarist imo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 24 2008, 10:36 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 24 2008, 06:33 PM) *
Well, I think I prefer him in RATM most, but maybe that's because that's where I heard him first and therefore I think he belongs there most somehow. The Nightwatchman is incredible though, but that's more about him as a really good musician than him as a guitarist imo.

True, and it also gives him his political outlet he didn't have with Audioslave smile.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 25 2008, 12:13 AM
[quote name='rokchik' date='May 24 2008, 10:29 PM' post='200022']

And yes FrankW I asked for everyones opinion good or bad. I think Morello is a great guitarist to discuss as he's unique whether you agree in a good way or not. . Great stuff and I think it shows he really is a talented musician.

You need to understand that just because I don't particularly like Tom Morellos' style doesn't mean my opinion is BAD. And whether I agree with you or not doesn't make it a 'good way', or a 'bad way'. An opinion is just an opinion. Labeling something like this 'good' or 'bad' infers that your opinion is the right one versus someone else's who doesn't agree. If you don't want to hear something contrary to your beliefs, don't ask for an opinion!

+Quote Post
Smurkas
May 25 2008, 12:16 AM
I actually think it's a bit sad that people tend to focus so much on all those weird sounds he makes. Sure, I'm one of those people who think most of those sounds are really cool but what I've learned from Morello is a way of playing rhythm guitar that's not very common in heavy metal or hard rock. His rhythmic chops together with all of those infectious grooves he's written is what really drew me in and it's those parts that have benefited me most as a guitarist as well.

When it comes to Audioslave I think alot of people thought RATM + Soundgarden = WIN! What they (or at least I) failed to take into account was that Cornell left the heavier parts of his music behind a long time ago and his solo career has been much more pop oriented. So what we got was some of Tom's really cool riffs mixed with pop music which wasn't really what I was expecting or what I wanted. I was hoping for a band more along the lines of heavy rock/metal with some funk leanings, although not as much as RATM. So I always walked away feeling somewhat dissapointed even though I love Tom's work and Cornell is one of my favourite singers.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
May 25 2008, 12:23 AM
You need to understand that just because I don't particularly like Tom Morellos' style doesn't mean my opinion is BAD. And whether I agree with you or not doesn't make it a 'good way', or a 'bad way'. An opinion is just an opinion. Labeling something like this 'good' or 'bad' infers that your opinion is the right one versus someone else's who doesn't agree. If you don't want to hear something contrary to your beliefs, don't ask for an opinion!

you don't have to get all aggressive, she meant good as in you like him, or bad, as in you don't. just because you don't understand what someone is saying, doesn't mean you should lash out at them.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 25 2008, 12:28 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ May 25 2008, 12:23 AM) *
you don't have to get all aggressive, she meant good as in you like him, or bad, as in you don't. just because you don't understand what someone is saying, doesn't mean you should lash out at them.

Nobody's lashing out...I stand by what I say!

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2008, 12:35 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (FrankW @ May 24 2008, 08:13 PM) *

And yes FrankW I asked for everyones opinion good or bad. I think Morello is a great guitarist to discuss as he's unique whether you agree in a good way or not. . Great stuff and I think it shows he really is a talented musician.

You are right, it does come across that way after I reread it. But I assure you that is not how I meant it. I apologize for that. I was just trying to agree with what you were saying in a previous post about me asking for opinions. It's just poor explaining on my part sad.gif I meant no offense. No opinion is better then another like you said maybe I should have said agree or disagree instead.

EDIT: Sometimes in print it's hard to get your point across so again I am sorry.

This post has been edited by rokchik: May 25 2008, 12:38 AM

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 25 2008, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ May 25 2008, 12:35 AM) *
You are right, it does come across that way after I reread it. But I assure you that is not how I meant it. I apologize for that. I was just trying to agree with what you were saying in a previous post about me asking for opinions. It's just poor explaining on my part sad.gif I meant no offense. No opinion is better then another like you said maybe I should have said agree or disagree instead.

Everything's fine, believe me. Your explanation makes sense, and I could've been cranked up on more coffee than I should be allowed. I respect everybody's opinion, because I sure as hell don't have all the answers. We are all friends in the name of the guitar! Frank

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2008, 12:45 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (FrankW @ May 24 2008, 08:39 PM) *
Everything's fine, believe me. Your explanation makes sense, and I could've been cranked up on more coffee than I should be allowed. I respect everybody's opinion, because I sure as hell don't have all the answers. We are all friends in the name of the guitar! Frank

Cool man, glad we're good. smile.gif I certainly don't have all the answers, just trying to encourage debate about one of my favorite guitarists. Besides if everyone agreed life would be boring smile.gif cool.gif

rok

EDIT: @ Smurkas - you made some good points there about Audioslave. I like them but they were a bit "softer" then they probably could have been. But I think too the band just wanted to distance themselves from their prior glories even though the Rage sound was still kinda there... kinda.

This post has been edited by rokchik: May 25 2008, 01:21 AM

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 25 2008, 12:54 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ May 25 2008, 12:45 AM) *
Cool man, glad we're good. smile.gif I certainly don't have all the answers, just trying to encourage debate about one of my favorite guitarists. Besides if everyone agreed life would be boring smile.gif cool.gif

rok

Now, I agree with that! Guitarman 700 is right, though, I can tend to be a little agressive. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. If I did...I am a pinhead! Please accept the apology of a pinhead. And, yes, we are cool always!

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2008, 01:00 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (FrankW @ May 24 2008, 08:54 PM) *
Now, I agree with that! Guitarman 700 is right, though, I can tend to be a little agressive. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. If I did...I am a pinhead! Please accept the apology of a pinhead. And, yes, we are cool always!

No biggie man and no feelings hurt. Glad you pointed it out actually smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
May 25 2008, 10:40 AM
Instructor
His heavy, stonerish riffs are great I think, they are very catchy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: May 25 2008, 10:40 AM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Canis
May 25 2008, 06:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
I like Tom Morello.. I don't listen to anything he's associated with (except Audioslave), but I don't turn off the sound if he happen to come up on the radio or something.

Gotta like his style though... A friend of mine came up with the perfect question when he saw that clip: "Is he playing that guitar, or pleasuring it?" tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 25 2008, 06:31 PM
Instructor
Tom Morello is amazing!! His style is incredible!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 25 2008, 10:57 PM
I really like Tom Morello, he has so many unique sounds, but other than the unique sounds there are better guitarists than him IMO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
May 26 2008, 06:10 PM
Creating weird sounds that sound bad is easy, but making creative sounds to sound good is an art. Well the guy is gifted!

I never forget one phrase of a Morello's interview that made me start a quest to find my own way of playing guitar. I am still on the way but I will get there. His phrase goes something like this:
"I was just looking forward to discover my own sound, instead of practicing like hell until being a third category Malmsteen"

Don't take me wrong. I want to shred. But much more than that I want to learn to use my guitar as a magical rod to make my soul heard by thousands of people cool.gif (and yes I think malmsteen does that)

This post has been edited by Gus: May 26 2008, 06:21 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 27 2008, 01:25 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Gus @ May 26 2008, 02:10 PM) *
Creating weird sounds that sound bad is easy, but making creative sounds to sound good is an art. Well the guy is gifted!

I never forget one phrase of a Morello's interview that made me start a quest to find my own way of playing guitar. I am still on the way but I will get there. His phrase goes something like this:
"I was just looking forward to discover my own sound, instead of practicing like hell until being a third category Malmsteen"

Don't take me wrong. I want to shred. But much more than that I want to learn to use my guitar as a magical rod to make my soul heard by thousands of people cool.gif (and yes I think malmsteen does that)

Yes Gus, one thing for sure about Morello is you can't really say he sounds like anyone else tongue.gif

Even though he's known for creating unique sounds, there is still "traditional" guitar work underneath. By this I mean he's not just hitting random notes but he is using scales and different techniques to create his solos. The effects are just making them sound unique. I read somewhere that Michael Angelo Batio use to give Morello lessons and that Morello also studied the playing of players such as Page, Iommi, and Hendrix.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor
He is not just one of the most innovative an original players from the 90's, he is also a riffmakmachine. Morello is a very talente guitar player for me and I'm glad of knowing that RATM is back! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:57 AM