Looking For New Music, Style of Andy Timmons
Kizaze44
Jul 2 2008, 06:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey there,

If I told you I was looking for a guitarist that has a similar style to Andy Timmons, what would you recommend? I'm currently hooked on Andy's playing - I could listen to it for hours, but think there's got to be other great players out there with that sort of style. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Kiz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rockztar
Jul 2 2008, 06:50 PM
Not totally the same but check out GUthrie Govan and Thomas Blug

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jul 2 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks, rockztar, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

+Quote Post
iainsteward
Jul 2 2008, 07:42 PM
Reb Beach can play in a very similar manner, very similar sounding although Reb replaces the fast picked licks with tapped licks, which gives him a very nice, smooth sound!! Check out some of his stuff from The Fusion Demo's or there is a Youtube video called Generica - Reb's Solo that is very nice!!

Here is Generica:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGEJrLxX5Ig

Here is Andy playing with Reb on Down To The Wire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MmLlNijJjk

Also, some other players you could check out are Larry Carlton, Mattias Eklundh, John McLaughlin, Allan Holdsworth and Thomas Blug who has already been mentioned. For the more rocky instrumental side of Timmons you can see some similarities between him and people like Satriani or Vinnie Moore.

Hope this helped,
Iain!

This post has been edited by iainsteward: Jul 2 2008, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post
rockztar
Jul 2 2008, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Jul 2 2008, 08:40 PM) *
Thanks, rockztar, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

glad i could help

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jul 3 2008, 01:25 AM
You absolutely have to check out Eric Johnson, the king of tone. Andy swears by him. Steve Lukather is another very toneful, melodic player. Carlos Santana is another brilliant player just oozing tone. He was instrumental in putting Mesa Boogie on the map. These guys have chops and a beautiful melodic sense. Another player that comes to mind is Greg Howe. This guy has monster chops and an incredible lick vocabulary. Of course, Guthrie Govan cannot be overlooked. This group of players is among the very best on the planet. Here's one most people don't mention; Chris Poland. He's a fusion player that used to be with Megadeath believe it or not. He is considered one of the best there is. His bands' name is OHM. Here's two more: Carl Verheyen and Larry Carlton, as Iain mentioned.

This post has been edited by FrankW: Jul 3 2008, 01:52 AM

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jul 3 2008, 01:29 PM
Wow - I've got plenty to listen to. Thanks for the input!

Kiz

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:38 AM