Jazz Scales?
Robin
May 13 2007, 11:21 AM
GMC:er
I'd like to try to play some jazzy solos and melodies, I think it would fit in both my bands. I have this scale book, and I found a scale called "Jazz" or something, but it didnt sound very much like jazz at all.
Is it because I dont know how to play jazz or are there other scales for this?

Thank you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
May 13 2007, 12:46 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hey Robin,

Jazz is a delicate art and simply learning a 'jazz scale' will not allow you to play jazz. You need to learn jazz harmony, (ii-V-I, Substitute chords, altered chords etc) and use certain scales to practice over the harmony. To me, there isnt really a 'jazz scale'.

Jazz is mainly based on the major scale, or minor scales, and its employs certain 'altered' scales and chromaticism to give an 'outside' sound that we are familiar with in jazz.

Arpeggios are highly imprtant in jazz (and especially bebop) as they allow you to outline the (chord) changes, a mark of an accomplished improvisor.

In a rock context, not many players do this but if you play a straight major scale over a ii-V-I with no thought of the chords, it will, more than likely sound as if you are just doiing that-simply running up and down a scale.

In my jazz lesson, which should go live next week, i hopefully explain this in an easy way.

Dont get bogged down with learning all the various dominant, altered scales, bebop scales just yet. Learn the major scale inside out, as the basis of jazz is on this.

Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by benhowell: May 13 2007, 12:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
May 13 2007, 12:53 PM
Ok, thank you very much. More complicated than I thought smile.gif

Cant wait for your lessons! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
May 13 2007, 01:14 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hey Robin,

Its a complicated langauge, but really not that hard. Just immerse yourself in as much Coltrane, Metheny, Martino, Davis, Pass, Parker and Diz stuff as you can!!

I hardly ever plug books but some absolutely fantastic books are the 'Jazz guitar' series by the national guitar workshop.

They are step-by-step guides to how jazz works, and the fundamental concepts. So far,m i havnt found any books to be better at allowing you to simply understand and play jazz.

Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
May 13 2007, 01:21 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ May 13 2007, 12:14 PM) *
Hey Robin,

Its a complicated langauge, but really not that hard. Just immerse yourself in as much Coltrane, Metheny, Martino, Davis, Pass, Parker and Diz stuff as you can!!

I hardly ever plug books but some absolutely fantastic books are the 'Jazz guitar' series by the national guitar workshop.

They are step-by-step guides to how jazz works, and the fundamental concepts. So far,m i havnt found any books to be better at allowing you to simply understand and play jazz.

Ben

Thank you very much. I love Coltrane, but I'm not really that much into other jazz yet, got so many other bands and genres to check out smile.gif In time maybe I'll check out some of the artists you mentioned there smile.gif

Actually, I think I have a few jazz "books" on the computer, I havent bothered checking them out yet, though.

Again, thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:05 PM