Self-conscious Butterfingers!
Azzaboi
Jul 15 2010, 10:19 PM
GMC:er
Self-conscious Butterfingers!

I'll be happily jamming out by my lonesome self in my bedroom. After some warm up exercises, I tend to get a good speed and flow going and rock out to some rather challenging songs for me. A friend and someone will enter the room. At first I'm in a zone and don't notice, I'll play almost flawlessly... thats until they speak and say something!

"Wow that's some wicked playing!" or something like that.
Instant Butterfingers!

I screw up and have to slow down at least as I loose the flow...
I just smile, wait, say thanks, wait... while they eyeball me expecting a masterpiece.

The wierd thing is if they just come in and don't mention so much about the playing and just say "hey howzit going" or something... I'm fine to continue playing my tunes. I can even play in front of others - if it's a simpler song I have no issues.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 15 2010, 10:22 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Jul 15 2010, 11:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
The Fear...

Hate it when it kicks in. As soon as I know I'm playing in front of other guitarists my playing standard drops a lot...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 15 2010, 11:23 PM
This is really perfectly normal. It's just about getting your "stage legs", so to speak. Every player has to spend time playing in front of folks to get used to it. Even after years of playing gigs some players still get a twinge before going on stage or playing
under a microscope in the studios or even among other musicians. This can wreck your ability to play things that you know you can play. The good news is, it's only temporary. Just like learning new chops, it's about practice. So try to play in front of anybody you can just to get used to it. After a while it will get easier.

Practice!
Todd

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 16 2010, 12:25 AM
I guess I started off as a bedroom player and still am to a point...

I use to crack my amp up loud when I first started and my mum closes the bedroom door yelling to turn it down.

Now it's them opening the door to listen! I'm like close it lol.

Yeah, fear when someone is watching your every move, hits me.
They can open the door and come in, even listen but just don't stare at my fingers playing or they will screw up! lol

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jul 16 2010, 02:53 AM
Instructor
As Todd stated its perfectly natural.

Although some people get varying degrees depending on the situation. Myself i always find myself fumbling when in small groups even now. But playing in front of 1000 people i never had a problem with. Actually my playing would be much better for some reason. I dont know what that says about my character, all i know is that is what happens for me.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 17 2010, 06:48 PM
Jazz Instructor
I think this is temporary, and what I would advice you to consciously allow your self to make mistakes, not a big deal.
I mean, for me, it's ok when someone makes mistake/s even playing live, big deal...

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 17 2010, 07:17 PM
I think I just need to not care as much...

I think this is temporary, and what I would advice you to consciously allow your self to make mistakes, not a big deal.
I mean, for me, it's ok when someone makes mistake/s even playing live, big deal...

Yeah, you are right.

The harder and faster something is to me, the more I tend to concentrate when people are watching.
Also the little bit I do mess up I go over and over again till I get it right.

However, when they aren't around it more nature, lighter fingers and relaxed.

I tried muck around playing (tunes I just make up over the a major blues scale) when they watch and getting back into the flow again as not so much pressure into getting it sounding like a song they know.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 17 2010, 07:18 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM