Lookin' To Be Able To Play What I Hear In My Head
thisisnotpeter
Mar 16 2009, 02:42 AM
GMC:er
Hey, guys. Just signed up for 3 months and will extend if the payment proves to have been for a good reason. I can play some very, very, very easy and basic stuff (e.g. Nirvana, Green Day) and do some soloing with basic hammer-ons and pull-offs, but my playing still sounds pretty sloppy and I don't know a damn THING about theory.

If you have any recommendations to offer me for particular lessons on the site, feel free and it would be appreciated. I have no idea what a D7 chord means, or what the circle of fifths is, or any of the other stuff a lot of the lessons talk about that I've browsed through. I have the major and minor scale shapes memorized up and down the fretboard, but have yet to be able to instantly know which fret on which string is which note. I don't know how to take a chord progression and solo over it effectively other than by playing random notes within a scale, and am trying to figure that out. At the same time, I have a lot of technique to hone, so, for now, am starting with the "Finger Independence" lesson series.

Anyways, that's a bit of information about me. I'd love to be able to shred, be able to improvise and have it actually sound good, and be able to figure out and play the melodies and harmonies that I hear in my head when composing in that manner. I've got a hell of a long way to go before having any appreciable level of skill, but will, nonetheless, walk in that direction and take the different challenges as they come at me.

Particular styles I love to listen to and would like to be able to play would be: progressive metal (death, black, etc.), different forms of extreme metal, alternative rock, grunge, shoegaze, and things of the sort.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 16 2009, 02:52 AM
Instructor
hi man and welcome!

absolute beginner, is your first step.
take a look here.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-les...beginner_0.html

and for theory, andrew´s board here.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;s=&f=10

also, feel free to ask whatever you need!

enjoy the site wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thisisnotpeter
Mar 16 2009, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Mar 15 2009, 05:52 PM) *
hi man and welcome!

absolute beginner, is your first step.
take a look here.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-les...beginner_0.html

and for theory, andrew´s board here.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;s=&f=10

also, feel free to ask whatever you need!

enjoy the site wink.gif

Damn, that Andrew guy has got a ton of great writeups on theory over there.

Thanks for the link, man.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 16 2009, 02:57 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to the site. I came aboard just like you. Just steady practice every day. First of to play death metal and whatever type of rock alternate picking is a must but thats later on after you learn the basics. I would suggest for the second time today Pavel's metal for beginners 3. Welcome to the site. Like it says "zero to hero"!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 16 2009, 02:59 AM
Instructor
sure man, no problem...
all of us (instructors) will help you in differents ways, so, take a tour for the site, pick up some lessons to start and prepare for work laugh.gif

CYA!

Lian

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 16 2009, 07:34 AM
Instructor
Welcome!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 16 2009, 08:32 AM
Instructor
Welcome to the site mate!

I think Lian gave you the same advice that I would, those 2 links are the begining here in the site.

But I can add as Lian did that you can ask any questions and we'll answer them. I mean if you have trouble when you read the theory lessons and you need to clarify anything be free to give it a post here at the forum.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
thisisnotpeter
Mar 16 2009, 08:48 AM
Hey, thanks a lot, guys. I'm already finding the theory stuff I got linked to to be extremely helpful and comprehensive. Haven't run into any confusion-walls yet as it's very well-written.

So far, awesome community and awesome site.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Mar 16 2009, 09:50 AM
Hey^^ This community sure is great! Tell us something bout your gear!:D

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
thisisnotpeter
Mar 16 2009, 10:25 AM
Here at my university, I got my Fender double fat-strat and an insanely crappy Esteban acoustic amp that I'll be using to practice on. I have a Marshall MG250DFX in storage back in my hometown. Thinking about getting one of those PODXT's or PODX3's, but don't quite have the cash to spring for it just yet because it sucks being a poor student. I'll probably grab the Marshall soon, but it doesn't matter if I have crappy equipment right now since all I want to do is improve my/get some guitar abilities, and I'd practice on a piece of firewood with strings if I had to.

For either the curious or the bored to check out, I've attached some songs I recorded a while ago.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ulterior___Until_We_Lose__minus_dumb_ending_.mp3 ( 5.36MB ) Number of downloads: 255
Attached File  Ulterior___When_The_Hopeless.mp3 ( 5.62MB ) Number of downloads: 216
Attached File  Ulterior___Stubs.mp3 ( 2.4MB ) Number of downloads: 201

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Mar 16 2009, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC, you came to the right place. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Mar 16 2009, 12:01 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC thisisnotpeter ! (but who are you then ? biggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 16 2009, 03:23 PM
Instructor
hey man, I was hearing your "until we lose" and it´s pretty good man! great sound, well balances and well mixed too.!

a tip, you can upload your stuff here
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;s=&f=23
ýou´ll get more feedback in that place, and many more people will hear your stuff.

Lian

+Quote Post
Canis
Mar 16 2009, 03:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome to GMC, one-who-is-not Peter tongue.gif

Enjoy the best community on the tubes!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drakonates
Mar 16 2009, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the club biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 16 2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor
Welcome aboard man! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 17 2009, 02:48 AM
Welcome to GMC smile.gif
I can't really add much more to what everyone else has already said, they have all made great suggestions. Just look through the forums and the lessons, I'm sure you'll be able to find all the theory and everything else you may be looking for. If not, just ask smile.gif

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90
Neck - DiMarzio DP193 Air Norton

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 17 2009, 03:08 AM
Instructor
Welcome smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 17 2009, 01:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC !! Andrews theory board is for all theory questions and also you can compliment it with some theory dependent lessons.You will definitly be able to learn everything that you want , just be a little patient and persistent..You have the will to learn and that is all you need - tools are here! smile.gif Enjoy!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
skennington
Mar 17 2009, 07:18 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Welcome to GMC smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:21 AM