Question About My Strings, 7 strings on 6-string
thefireball
May 27 2011, 02:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi!

I have GHS 7-string 60-10 set on my Jackson 6 string. Obviously, I left off the 10 gauge string. My 3rd string on my guitar would actually be the 4th on a 7 string - and so that is why I was wondering if that is why when I bend it, it takes more bend to get it up a whole step. Same thing when I'm tuning it. It takes the longest to tune, whereas all my other strings tune fast with the slightest turn of the tuning peg.

Help please? Is it the string? It is the "wound" kind of course, since it's a 7 string set.

Hope I didn't confuse anybody or sound redundant. wink.gif

P.S. The string also pops at the nut. Perhaps the hole is not big enough.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by thefireball: May 27 2011, 02:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2011, 03:14 PM
Instructor
Do you mean that the G string is wound ? ohmy.gif If so, I'm not surprised that you're having these issues with it. It's designed to sit at a lower pressure, hence why you find it harder to bend.. and also why it takes longer to wind up to pitch. I'm not saying it's wrong to do though.. other guys may do it, I don't know !? smile.gif

EDIT: Although that doesn't explain why the other strings tune faster and easier. Ok I admit it, I'm confused and don't know the answer !! tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 27 2011, 03:16 PM

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 27 2011, 03:36 PM
GMC:er
Wound strings are harder to bend in general.

If you left out the 0.10 (thinnest string), all your other strings will be thicker than usual, with the added wound attribute of the G.

PS if the G doesn't fit in the nut properly (as not all the gaps in the nut are of equal size, due to wound and not wound strings), I'm guessing it'll cause you tuning problems in general.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 27 2011, 03:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, I think you guys answered my question. What strings would be best to use for Drop B tuning? Or even A tuning? Don't they have Baritone strings? even though my guitar isn't a baritone? I could get my guitar nut heavily modified or get a new one to handle even thicker strings.

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 27 2011, 05:49 PM
GMC:er
I'm using 11s for drop Db, and drop C and it works out, so I'm guessing 12s for drop B and drop A. No idea what to say about the nut, though (my current 11s setup didn't need nut modification, but it looks like 12s are the max that could fit, if that - looking at a Squier Bullet here btw tongue.gif).

This post has been edited by dark dude: May 27 2011, 05:50 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:30 PM