3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Schecter Guitars
sammetal92
Jul 27 2013, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
I'm thinking of buying ANOTHER axe, as soon as I sell one of my older two guitars. I was thinking of getting a Schecter 006 Deluxe, it has pretty good reviews for that low a price. The only thing I'd have to do is get some good pickups in it, they stock ones suck without good EQ.

The price tag says $250. I am done with floyd rose systems, I need a fixed bridge and this one is fitting my budget perfectly.

What would you say? And no my music store doesn't have a lot of variety, unfortunately sad.gif

EDIT: I'm not asking which guitar I'd buy, I'm saying what is your general experience with Schecter or the 006 deluxe if you've used it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jul 27 2013, 07:41 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 27 2013, 07:59 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 27 2013, 06:40 PM) *
I'm thinking of buying ANOTHER axe, as soon as I sell one of my older two guitars. I was thinking of getting a Schecter 006 Deluxe, it has pretty good reviews for that low a price. The only thing I'd have to do is get some good pickups in it, they stock ones suck without good EQ.

The price tag says $250. I am done with floyd rose systems, I need a fixed bridge and this one is fitting my budget perfectly.

What would you say? And no my music store doesn't have a lot of variety, unfortunately sad.gif

EDIT: I'm not asking which guitar I'd buy, I'm saying what is your general experience with Schecter or the 006 deluxe if you've used it.

I played a higher-end schecter 7 string once (can't remember model) and liked it, schecter necks are a bit beefy but still shredable. Sometime later I played a california model and was the worst guitar I ever played smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 27 2013, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 27 2013, 06:59 PM) *
I played a higher-end schecter 7 string once (can't remember model) and liked it, schecter necks are a bit beefy but still shredable. Sometime later I played a california model and was the worst guitar I ever played smile.gif

So you're saying the difference between models can be pretty big, right? No consistency?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jouve
Jul 27 2013, 09:09 PM
Learning Roadie
unsure.gif
I don't trust these entry level models. Maybe you'd better check the ebay for c-1 hellraiser or other series? I've seen some used items there for about 260-400$.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 27 2013, 09:14 PM
QUOTE (Jouve @ Jul 27 2013, 08:09 PM) *
unsure.gif
I don't trust these entry level models. Maybe you'd better check the ebay for c-1 hellraiser or other series? I've seen some used items there for about 260-400$.

Can I ask exactly what can be bad on entry level guitars? smile.gif

I'm asking because the problems I've ever had with any guitar is the action and/or the tremolo setup. The 006 deluxe has a fixed bridge and reviews say they have low action. Rosewood fretboard and basswood body.

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jul 27 2013, 09:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jouve
Jul 27 2013, 09:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, there can be many things -cheap hardware and electronic which wears off pretty shortly, a wrong placed frets, some tuners issues. Everything is possible. I am not saying that 006 is bad, but you should be 100% attentive to the details.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 27 2013, 09:40 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 27 2013, 07:03 PM) *
So you're saying the difference between models can be pretty big, right? No consistency?

I guess so, my experience with this brand is very limited though I'd also agree entry level guitars are a bit of problem.

For example many people complain about entry LTD brand necks wrap, turned out (a luthier said in a forum as I remember) the wood they use isn't dryed enough for production. Or my student just sold his ibanez gio, he said after 2 sets of elixir string the frets literally melted and it needed a total re-fret.

I guess these guitars are made to last max 1 or 2 years till a students learn enough to upgrade, then sell it used for literally nothing so the entry-level guitar industry moves on forever smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 27 2013, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Jouve @ Jul 27 2013, 08:32 PM) *
Well, there can be many things -cheap hardware and electronic which wears off pretty shortly, a wrong placed frets, some tuners issues. Everything is possible. I am not saying that 006 is bad, but you should be 100% attentive to the details.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 27 2013, 08:40 PM) *
I guess so, my experience with this brand is very limited though I'd also agree entry level guitars are a bit of problem.

For example many people complain about entry LTD brand necks wrap, turned out (a luthier said in a forum as I remember) the wood they use isn't dryed enough for production. Or my student just sold his ibanez gio, he said after 2 sets of elixir string the frets literally melted and it needed a total re-fret.

I guess these guitars are made to last max 1 or 2 years till a students learn enough to upgrade, then sell it used for literally nothing so the entry-level guitar industry moves on forever smile.gif

Thanks for the help guys, as far as ebay and second hand guitars are concerned, you might know I run away from second hand guitars. And I don't really buy off the internet, because I don't know how it'll feel in my hands and how it'll sound when I'm playing sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 27 2013, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 27 2013, 08:45 PM) *
Thanks for the help guys, as far as ebay and second hand guitars are concerned, you might know I run away from second hand guitars. And I don't really buy off the internet, because I don't know how it'll feel in my hands and how it'll sound when I'm playing sad.gif

I'd say just be a little patient and save a bit more, I know this is about schecter but if you by chance find a charvel ds-3 or ds-2 give it a try smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 27 2013, 10:17 PM
Charvel ds-2 is GORGEOUS! ohmy.gif Does it sound as good as it looks? I'm really interested!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 27 2013, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 27 2013, 09:17 PM) *
Charvel ds-2 is GORGEOUS! ohmy.gif Does it sound as good as it looks? I'm really interested!

I was actually planing to buy a ds-3, I wanted a lightweight guitar I wouldn't be afraid carrying to students houses in a rainy day.

I played it very briefly and loved the neck (oiled mahogany feels very good) which was the only important thing for me on a cheap guitar. I delayed that idea for now as its summer and I'm not super busy but I still have that guitar in mind. The higher models as I read have even better necks but as usualy price increases smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 27 2013, 11:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
My next guitar is going to be a schecter blackjack atx it's a great playing guitar they seem to go for around 450 used.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 27 2013, 11:39 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 27 2013, 09:29 PM) *
I was actually planing to buy a ds-3, I wanted a lightweight guitar I wouldn't be afraid carrying to students houses in a rainy day.

I played it very briefly and loved the neck (oiled mahogany feels very good) which was the only important thing for me on a cheap guitar. I delayed that idea for now as its summer and I'm not super busy but I still have that guitar in mind. The higher models as I read have even better necks but as usualy price increases smile.gif

Seems like I can get a new DS-2 for around $350 to $400 around here ohmy.gif good price?

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jul 27 2013, 10:26 PM) *
My next guitar is going to be a schecter blackjack atx it's a great playing guitar they seem to go for around 450 used.

Seems a really beautiful axe but, ah, I've had too many bad experiences with used guitars sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 28 2013, 12:23 AM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 27 2013, 10:39 PM) *
Seems like I can get a new DS-2 for around $350 to $400 around here ohmy.gif good price?

The pricing on these seem very competitive. I didn't research them much as they're still very new (about 1 year as far as know), they're made in China but it felt ok to me when playing...I guess Fender is bringing Charvel back from the dead and they're doing their best to become popular again, recently Guthrie Govan became their artist.

Compaund radious neck profile is something people love or hate, I strongly advice trying one before ordering smile.gif A shop where I live recently brought a guitar from another city for my student to try before buying. Ask them if they can do this, its an affordable guitar worst case if you don't buy it someone else will eventually smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 28 2013, 12:35 AM
Hmm.... I'll have to try and convince them to do that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 28 2013, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 27 2013, 06:40 PM) *

I had a few Schecters. I also have a wardrobe full of good pickups and guess what? I went back to to original Schecter pickups. Those pickups ain't suck. Those are probably one of the best organic sounding and with nice output signal cheap pickups in guitar from this price range. Maybe the problem is elsswhere.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2013, 03:44 PM
Instructor
One question - is it available in your store? If yes, try it and if you like it, get it smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 28 2013, 04:41 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 28 2013, 12:17 PM) *
I had a few Schecters. I also have a wardrobe full of good pickups and guess what? I went back to to original Schecter pickups. Those pickups ain't suck. Those are probably one of the best organic sounding and with nice output signal cheap pickups in guitar from this price range. Maybe the problem is elsswhere.

I read many reviews on the internet and watched a few comparison videos on youtube, and its just too soft. Its good for clean, but what I heard in those clips were low output pickups. I don't know, I haven't played any schecter guitars.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 28 2013, 02:44 PM) *
One question - is it available in your store? If yes, try it and if you like it, get it smile.gif

No its not, but they said they can get it here if I want to buy it so I Have to confirm, because, after all as Jouve said, it is an entry level guitar. That's why I'm skeptic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 28 2013, 05:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 28 2013, 03:41 PM) *
I read many reviews on the internet and watched a few comparison videos on youtube, and its just too soft. Its good for clean, but what I heard in those clips were low output pickups. I don't know, I haven't played any schecter guitars.

No its not, but they said they can get it here if I want to buy it so I Have to confirm, because, after all as Jouve said, it is an entry level guitar. That's why I'm skeptic.

Stock 006, Omen 6, Omen Extreme pickup (exactly the same) have a nice and high output level comparing to other passive pickups. Of course not as high as SD invader but I don't like passive pickups with more than huge output signal because they make the sound muddy. If I need more gain I would go for active...they won't make the tone so blurry.

Be aware of YT tone test comparisons...huge amount of them seems to work completely different in the live conditions.

Cosmin is right about going to the local shop. I think buying something that You tested and already now it works for You is better than buying something You never touched even if it's a dream of many other players in the web....it still can not fit Your preferences.
It's very risky.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2013, 05:44 PM
Instructor
I have not too much experience with this brand. I just tried two models, Tempest Custom and Solo 6. I really liked both of them, however I'm not sure about the cheaper models. I think that the best would be to go and try one of the guitars that you want to buy, even more is the quality isn't something clear.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:23 PM