Help! I Am Lost On This Site.....
Dave916
Jan 10 2010, 03:27 AM
GMC:er
Hi all,
My name is David, and I am from California; my main guitar is a Gibson SG, but I also have a lower end Fender American Standard. I joined because I have been trying to teach myself for about five years but remain at a beginner level as I am more of a visual learner who needs to see concepts in action.
I have been a member for about a month now, and I cannot figure out this site other than the lessons sad.gif
How do I create a practice agenda? How can I keep track of lesson agendas etc?
I am glad to be here, and enjoy this site; hopefully, I'll figure things out the next few weeks.
Best,
David

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2010, 03:36 AM
Instructor
Hello Dave. It seems to me that you need a lesson plan of some sort, or lesson structure? If that is the case, this thing is highly individual for all players. If you tell us what sort of things you already mastered, we can advise you on what to practice. Have you worked on theory? metronome practice? scales? chords? etc..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 10 2010, 03:36 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 10 2010, 12:41 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hello Dave,

Ivan is correct, practice routines are very individual and it takes time to work out whats right for you.

However on the positive side there are some steps we can all take to build a practice routine that works for the individual. Why not check out some of kris's ideas on how to practice.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/how-to-practice-guitar/

I myself like to practice a peice of music, exercises and sequences in a scale, chord relays and improvisation. The more you hang around the forum you will fast get an idea of what works best for you.

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 10 2010, 01:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Dave and welcome to GMC!
Since we have a quite extensive community for guitar playing here smile.gif , it may take some time to sort things out, but a really good starting point is to participate in the forums - there's always people happy to help even if it's the most stupid questions......
Also I suggest You check the collaborations threads that is really fun and improves the playing a lot.
A practicing agenda is really useful - but it is as the above posts stated, very individual. Also we have the MTP-program where
the instructors give You some "homework" and comments, I suggest that You apply for this the next time its coming up.
You will find plenty of info here, but as I said in the beginning, it will take a little time to get used to all great features of the site!!!

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 10 2010, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC. You got some good guidelines how to start. Happy practicing smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 10 2010, 03:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC David! smile.gif

Other then lessons, try to participate as much as you can in the forum as we got lots of activities here ranging from discussions about various subjects (often guitar related) to Mentoring program and collaborations recording + competitions. Feel free to post any questions you have here in the forum...

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 10 2010, 04:12 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC David. Guys already gave you some good advices. I would just advise you to hang on forums and ask as many questions as possible. If you need a practice plan we can help and create one for you. To do this we need to know your current level, strengths and weaknesses and things that you would like to accomplish. This is one interacting on forums is great, you could post your playing (audio and/or video) and instructors will give you tips how to improve as well as other members. Welcome once again,hope you are enjoying your time here so far.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jan 11 2010, 02:59 PM
Instructor
welcome man and enjoy your stay! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dave916
Jan 12 2010, 03:28 AM
Thank you all for the replies. Right now I have bookmarked two style of David Gilmore lessons, and a couple on dorian phasing, and jumping through the modes etc..
The one thing I am was curious about was how to create a practice agenda folder as I have seen others have done so.

Thanks again,
dl

This post has been edited by Dave916: Jan 12 2010, 03:29 AM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jan 12 2010, 07:55 AM
welcome fellow californian!

judging by your name, i see you are from the sacramento area! lots of great music stores and happenings there! I got to play guitar with Herman Li of Dragonforce there once for an ibanez convention smile.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 12 2010, 10:36 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome to gmc!
I think it is a good starting point to just bookmark a couple of lessons in your favourite style and practise them until you really mastered them. That's the way I do it. The next step would be to submit videos in the REC-Program and maybe to join the MTP. That is my plan for the next month, maybe i'll work for you as well.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 13 2010, 12:29 AM
Instructor
Hi! Welcome,

I would recommend that you get started with some lessons, and start asking questions to instructors either directly or on the forums...

feedback is a great learning tool

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jan 27 2010, 12:12 AM
Ask whatever you need whenver you want. There will be always someone to help you!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Santiago Diaz Garces: Jan 27 2010, 12:13 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:15 PM