Guys Can U All Give Me Yr Opinion On This
guitargod
Apr 21 2008, 08:02 AM
GMC:er
guys, actually i just lost a band competition kind of thing, joining this competition made me realise how noob a guitarist i am and i decided to commit to practising my instrument hard. in the past although i heard kris talk abt practicsing with a metronme n scales, but i nv thought abt it seriously, i thought it was just too boring, now i decided to work hard in this area, guys this is basically the the list of the things i decide to do in the nx one whole year so that i can get better can u guys give me some feedbacks on my plan n share with me how do u guys train as well.
1. first, i am going to be very familar with all the major minor n pentatonic scales on the fretboard
2. i am going to learn music theory related to the guitar area
3. I am going to practice techniques like speedpicking, alternate picking, pulls off n hammering on, string skipping, sweeping, i dont intend to practice all the techniques, but these selected few in the nx one year
4. i am going to practice with a drum machine, i actually prefer the sound compare to a metronome haha.
5. i am going to start doing some ear training, going to listen to song n try to find the sound on my gutiar n to understand which scale is the song located in.
6. basically i will delicate three hrs of my time a day for the nx three years into practising, bascially two hrs on scales n techniques and one hr on learning new riffs n solos etc. then ear training i will practice with my fren once a wk n jam with my band once a wk.
i dont hope to be super pro in one year time, but i hope to at least land some gigs outside in one year time, wat do u guys think of my project one year n aso tell me how can i improve on it etc?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 21 2008, 08:19 AM
Get to da Chopper!
one way to improve would be to use a metronome, and just crack on and enjoy it.

A couple of months ago i learned a lick that i could barely play, it just seemed like every weakness in my playing was brought together in this one lick, it was impossible.

i tried jamming to a backing track and changing tempo etc, but it wasnt working sad.gif

SO, i sucked it up, and used a metronome. which i wasnt too happy about. That lick is now at almost double the speed i started.

You may not enjoy the metronome and want to use a drum machine instead- but theres a reason the metronome has worked so well for everybody. We may not enjoy metronome practise- but then again not everything in life is fun to do when we want to see results.

And with all this new information you will be taking on, try not to get overwhelmed. Learn a couple of new things a day and dont feel you have to learn everything in just one session. I find it alot more beneficial to learn in little bits, for example, i'd learn one new scale pattern (one box/3nps) a day, and review the other ones that i have learned previously too. Thats a far better approach then learning all seven shapes in one morning and never practising and reviewing them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 21 2008, 09:33 AM
Instructor
My best advice man is - take it easy, there is no rush. Who knows what's going to happen in three years and your plan is truly an ambitious one, but bare in mind that along the way your practice routines will gradually change as you develop yourself further. So you must be able to adapt your practicing sessions all the time. You don't wanna stick to the same practicing session pattern every day because this will make a feel like you are progressing slowly and make you unmotivated.

So, everything you wrote is a good exercise if you wanna progress as a musician and a guitar player, and for starters it is a great strategy. Basically if you work hard and focused for 3 hours per day you can achieve what you wrote and more in just a year. So grab that guitar, turn on the metronome and start practicing. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:01 AM