New Headphone, Any Recommandations?
Niels
Feb 7 2010, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi there,

I'm looking for a new headphone for plugging into my guitaramplifier to save the good relationship I have with my neighbours. I was wondering if some of you got any recommendations, things to look for, do's and dont's, etc. I used to have a wireless headphone, but never had a lot of fun with it cause of all the noise it produced and flat batteries when I needed it and the bad quality of sound.

I'd like to spend about 50 euro. I know Sennheiser used to be a good brand, but I don't know if they are still good and affordable. Maybe some other brands are recommended? Would it make sense to buy a DJ-headphone?

Any tips would be highly appreciated!

Niels

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
-Ibanez RG320dxfm-TG
-Richwood strat
-Effects: Boss ME-70, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS-7
-Amp: Cheap old Fender H.O.T.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
JamesT
Feb 7 2010, 09:43 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I like my Sony MCR-7506's. Very comfortable for long hours of not bothering the wife. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2010, 09:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Though it's quite out of your range, I really like the ones I just got. Sennheiser HD 380 PRO - they're at like $200. I used to have a "cheap" Supreme CD90, and I actually really liked those. They are around your price-range I think.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2010, 09:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have a pair of AKG and I've very happy with them. Used to have, well I still have a pait of Philips - the most confortable I ever wore with cloth on them. Soft! But the rest were plastic and finally broke. Now it's glued, plastic padded and taped.

Before I got the AKG I tried different models and Sennheiser never suited me, they felt so uncomfortable. So I have to reccomend that you try the models you are planning to buy so that they really feel comfortable. They will sit on for hours and hours and have to feel great.

I don't think DJ headphones will be the perfect choise. If I'm not wrong they are closed fully. Half open and fully open would give you a better response with a more true sound picture, less bassy compared to DJ phones.

+Quote Post
Fusar
Feb 7 2010, 09:59 PM
GMC:er
I recently bought AKG K141 MkII and I'm really satisfied! Unfortunately it costs the double of your given price range sad.gif but in my opinion, the ears are great and important tools for music, so I wouldn't save money on headphones wink.gif

--------------------

For all who are interested, I own a Yahama Pacifica 112 and a Spider Line 6 15W Amp

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 8 2010, 01:40 AM
Instructor
AKG are my choice and I recommend them, they are standard headphone brand, you cannot go wrong.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Feb 8 2010, 11:22 AM
Instructor
+1 for AKG, Audio Technica headphones are also a good choice and not very expansive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2010, 01:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Most AKGs are above 50 euros though, aren't they?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 8 2010, 01:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 8 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Most AKGs are above 50 euros though, aren't they?

Yes, but what Niels likes to spend and what we demand he spends are two different thing. wink.gif

You're right, we failed on the budget in our suggestions... as usual unsure.gif

AKG K240 is an outgoing model, store have them on sale. Could be a way to get a pair fairly cheap... say 50 E or something of you haggle smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2010, 01:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 8 2010, 01:50 PM) *
Yes, but what Niels likes to spend and what we demand he spends are two different thing. wink.gif

You're right, we failed on the budget in our suggestions... as usual unsure.gif

AKG K240 is an outgoing model, store have them on sale. Could be a way to get a pair fairly cheap... say 50 E or something of you haggle smile.gif

laugh.gif

I think he should have bolded the 50 euro thingie for you guys to see it.

Might get some on sale with a little haggle, but if you're just out for some "cheap" but good headphones, I can recommend the Supreme CD90. I would give you mine, but they're taped together, so they're not really that useful anymore. But they served me very well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 19 2010, 03:21 PM
Instructor
I have some AKG K-55, they are very good and affordable...recommend them

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
stratman79
Feb 19 2010, 08:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
There are loads of great headphones out there,

I would recomend open back. they give a better sound for less money as closed back have lots of problems with reflections so good ones cost more. Although with open backs you do get a bit of sound leakage in and out so no good for studio work.

I personally think you want ones that fit over your ears not on top, I find these much more comfortable.

The best ones that would be around your price range would be Goldring DR150's. about £50-£60 but you maybe able to find a deal. If not look into the DR100's I have never tried them but the 150's are excellent for the price so assume the 100's will also be good.

Maybe if you want some closed back ones you can pick some Beyer DT100's up second hand??? ebay maybe a good hunting ground

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:52 AM