18 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
saintofbladez
Jan 6 2014, 08:01 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 4 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Hehe, welcome back man smile.gif Well, first things first - I would like to know how it goes with the stuff that you had to practice in the previous schedule, as you haven't yet given me any feedback wink.gif

It hasn't gone that great to be honest, i've found it really hard to sing and match the note. In the end I made up a couple of things and found the notes for it. I'm just reading over the Ionian theory to jog my memory again smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unstable
Jan 7 2014, 04:03 AM
Hello again Cosmin!
Here's the answer to the questions to try and setup a schedule and finally de-mistify the guitar for me!

* How long have you been playing the guitar?
Hard to say…seems like ages. I started playing when I was in middle school (I'm 37 now) but I never got too serious about it so I just went on and off with it with no discipline whatsoever.

* What do you feel your current level is?
Being brutally honest, I consider myself a beginner as I only learned to play basic riffs and chords of the "easier" songs I liked and never learned any theory. You know, things like the Crazy Train intro, the riff to Enter Sandman, and things like that but no lead guitar whatsoever…I have kind of always "feared" lead guitar...

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
Basic chord construction knowledge from the CAGED method. Just learned about the triads and the circle of fifths…so you can see….not much.

* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
More or less 2 hours/day on average weekday. I could definitely spend more time on weekends.

* What are your favorite techniques?
I love harmonics (natural and artificial), octaves, trills, sweep picking, slapping and thumb thang (love funk!)

* What would you like to improve?
All man! Everything! So much to learn!

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
I have no experience recording. I am a complete tech noob! I was in a cover band in college (played rythm guitar and bass in some songs) but nothing too serious. I just practice solo.

* What gear do you own?
Schecter 006 Deluxe Diamond Series / PRS SE Tremonti (an awesome (albeit expensive) gift to motivate me!) / Line 6 Spider IV 30 W / Boss DS-1 and CH-1 pedals. Just bought a Line 6 FBV2 foot controller. I have Garage Band in my Mac although I have never used it...

* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing
RHCP - Frusciante
Daron Malakian (love his clean melodies)
Alter Bridge (catchy, inspiring riffs)
Randy Rhoads
Adam Jones (Tool) - just love the odd-time signatures!
Mahoney (311)
Jerry Cantrell (AIC)
Radiohead (earlier)
Soundgarden (Thayil)
The Cure

I am currently digging post-rock bands such as Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and God is an Astronaut too! Great stuff!

I'm more into rhythm and "feel" of melodies rather than fast playing (although I do love some fast playing when it fits great with the compositions)…Petrucci, Jake E. Lee, etc...

All the help is appreciated man!

Miguel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2014, 09:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (miguelbatalha @ Jan 6 2014, 10:07 AM) *
All do my best. I'll start with the first one and record a video ASAP Thanks a lot, Cosmin!

Amazing biggrin.gif Let's see what cards you have up yer sleeve, Mr.!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2014, 12:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Jan 6 2014, 07:01 PM) *
It hasn't gone that great to be honest, i've found it really hard to sing and match the note. In the end I made up a couple of things and found the notes for it. I'm just reading over the Ionian theory to jog my memory again smile.gif

Hey man smile.gif If you haven't used your voice so far, it's not really that easy to get things flowing, especially if you haven't really spent time doing it since I gave you the task and until now. If you do it at least 15-20 minutes with full focus every day, you should be able to grasp it in a relatively fair period of time.

I would keep the rhythm/lead lesson program each week (btw, how did the KSE lesson fit?) and suggest an Ionian based lesson for the phrasing and articulation section smile.gif since you are on the Ionian revision.

What say you? Let me know and I will prepare things.

Cosmin

Hola Miguel!

I got you bro smile.gif So, in respect to the music, we have very similar tastes, so this won't be too difficult biggrin.gif

Now, I suggest we focus on 2 lessons/week - one for the rhythm and one for the lead, based on the preferences and aims you have mentioned.

To begin with, I would start with these:

Rhythm and some lead: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Alter-...-Style-Riffing/ - involving riffs, octaves and melodic soling with long notes
Funk rhythm: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...6-funk-basics1/ - since you want to get good at funkiness biggrin.gif

Now, for the approach and time division, I would suggest the following:

In Day 1 - 4 -> Spending 4 hrs/ lesson (2 hrs each day) in which you should:

- understand the theoretical concepts
- learn the lesson structure
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

Day 5-6 - Revision (you practice the lessons, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play them) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! You have theoretically 4 hrs for this, or you can try 3 hrs if it feels like a burnout. there will be moments such as those smile.gif

Day 7 - Revision and recording - if you wish - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned - be honest to yourself and your progress will occur!

How does this all sound, man?

Cosmin

QUOTE (Unstable @ Jan 7 2014, 03:03 AM) *
Hello again Cosmin!
Here's the answer to the questions to try and setup a schedule and finally de-mistify the guitar for me!

Hard to say…seems like ages. I started playing when I was in middle school (I'm 37 now) but I never got too serious about it so I just went on and off with it with no discipline whatsoever.

Being brutally honest, I consider myself a beginner as I only learned to play basic riffs and chords of the "easier" songs I liked and never learned any theory. You know, things like the Crazy Train intro, the riff to Enter Sandman, and things like that but no lead guitar whatsoever…I have kind of always "feared" lead guitar...

Basic chord construction knowledge from the CAGED method. Just learned about the triads and the circle of fifths…so you can see….not much.

More or less 2 hours/day on average weekday. I could definitely spend more time on weekends.

I love harmonics (natural and artificial), octaves, trills, sweep picking, slapping and thumb thang (love funk!)

All man! Everything! So much to learn!

I have no experience recording. I am a complete tech noob! I was in a cover band in college (played rythm guitar and bass in some songs) but nothing too serious. I just practice solo.

* What gear do you own?
Schecter 006 Deluxe Diamond Series / PRS SE Tremonti (an awesome (albeit expensive) gift to motivate me!) / Line 6 Spider IV 30 W / Boss DS-1 and CH-1 pedals. Just bought a Line 6 FBV2 foot controller. I have Garage Band in my Mac although I have never used it...

RHCP - Frusciante
Daron Malakian (love his clean melodies)
Alter Bridge (catchy, inspiring riffs)
Randy Rhoads
Adam Jones (Tool) - just love the odd-time signatures!
Mahoney (311)
Jerry Cantrell (AIC)
Radiohead (earlier)
Soundgarden (Thayil)
The Cure

I am currently digging post-rock bands such as Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and God is an Astronaut too! Great stuff!

I'm more into rhythm and "feel" of melodies rather than fast playing (although I do love some fast playing when it fits great with the compositions)…Petrucci, Jake E. Lee, etc...

All the help is appreciated man!

Miguel

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Jan 7 2014, 10:53 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 7 2014, 11:35 AM) *
Hey man smile.gif If you haven't used your voice so far, it's not really that easy to get things flowing, especially if you haven't really spent time doing it since I gave you the task and until now. If you do it at least 15-20 minutes with full focus every day, you should be able to grasp it in a relatively fair period of time.

I would keep the rhythm/lead lesson program each week (btw, how did the KSE lesson fit?) and suggest an Ionian based lesson for the phrasing and articulation section smile.gif since you are on the Ionian revision.

What say you? Let me know and I will prepare things.

Cosmin

Hola Miguel!

I got you bro smile.gif So, in respect to the music, we have very similar tastes, so this won't be too difficult biggrin.gif

Now, I suggest we focus on 2 lessons/week - one for the rhythm and one for the lead, based on the preferences and aims you have mentioned.

Rhythm and some lead: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Alter-...-Style-Riffing/ - involving riffs, octaves and melodic soling with long notes
Funk rhythm: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...6-funk-basics1/ - since you want to get good at funkiness biggrin.gif

- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track

Day 5-6 - Revision (you practice the lessons, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play them) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! You have theoretically 4 hrs for this, or you can try 3 hrs if it feels like a burnout. there will be moments such as those smile.gif

Day 7 - Revision and recording - if you wish - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned - be honest to yourself and your progress will occur!

Cosmin

Yeah that sounds great man, the Killswitch lesson tied in well, picked up easily enough, (using the tabs mind).

Dan

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 8 2014, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Hey there Dan smile.gif Glad it feels good for ya - just keep me in the loop and let me know when things are ready or if there are questions which might rise, ok?

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Jan 8 2014, 08:26 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 8 2014, 07:57 AM) *
Hey there Dan smile.gif Glad it feels good for ya - just keep me in the loop and let me know when things are ready or if there are questions which might rise, ok?

Will do man, what should I for the lead/rhythm side of things, i'm not sure which video to go for next.

Dan smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unstable
Jan 9 2014, 03:20 AM
This looks great Cosmin! Although I must admit, your'e pushing me with that Alter Bridge lesson since I don't feel nearly confident or competent enough to play that (its even got a short solo! ohmy.gif ….I'm taking on the challenge though it's going to take longer than one week to work it up slowly!

You got me working and that's a plus!

I'll post on my progress shortly.

Cheers!

Miguel

Hola Miguel!

Cosmin
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 9 2014, 10:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Unstable @ Jan 9 2014, 02:20 AM) *
This looks great Cosmin! Although I must admit, your'e pushing me with that Alter Bridge lesson since I don't feel nearly confident or competent enough to play that (its even got a short solo! ohmy.gif ….I'm taking on the challenge though it's going to take longer than one week to work it up slowly!

You got me working and that's a plus!

I'll post on my progress shortly.

Cheers!

Miguel

Hola Miguel!

Cosmin

Hehe! Great to see that you aren't running away scared smile.gif I just chose that one, due to the fact that it fit with a lot of your wants smile.gif If it gets you in the right spot, we're both going to be happy! Let's rock and I am looking forward to hearing about your progress!

QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Jan 8 2014, 07:26 PM) *
Will do man, what should I for the lead/rhythm side of things, i'm not sure which video to go for next.

Dan smile.gif

Hey mate smile.gif I think that the following two should keep you busy in respect to rhythm playing:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Disturbed-Style-Riffing/

and in respect to phrasing and Ionian concepts:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/major-soloing-no-4th/ - this is interesting as it has a bluesy edge to it and it deals with being aware of the notes you are using in order to avoid the 4th biggrin.gif

Might I remind you the processes of learning?

In Day 1 - 4 -> Learning the lessons (Has your practice available time changed? If yes, in which way - more or less?)

Day 5-6 - Revision (you practice the lessons, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play them) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details!

Do we have a deal, Dan?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Jan 9 2014, 01:40 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 9 2014, 09:13 AM) *
Hehe! Great to see that you aren't running away scared smile.gif I just chose that one, due to the fact that it fit with a lot of your wants smile.gif If it gets you in the right spot, we're both going to be happy! Let's rock and I am looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Hey mate smile.gif I think that the following two should keep you busy in respect to rhythm playing:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Disturbed-Style-Riffing/

and in respect to phrasing and Ionian concepts:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/major-soloing-no-4th/ - this is interesting as it has a bluesy edge to it and it deals with being aware of the notes you are using in order to avoid the 4th biggrin.gif

Might I remind you the processes of learning?

In Day 1 - 4 -> Learning the lessons (Has your practice available time changed? If yes, in which way - more or less?)

Day 5-6 - Revision (you practice the lessons, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play them) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details!

Do we have a deal, Dan?

Cosmin

I've already been through the Disturbed lesson dude smile.gif It went well, had no issues with it at all.
My practice time hasn't changed that's still fine.
We have a deal sir tongue.gif

Dan

This post has been edited by saintofbladez: Jan 9 2014, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
MichaelRdk
Jan 9 2014, 08:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 27 2013, 12:37 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif How's it faring with the theory? smile.gif I was curious to hear about your progress

Hey.
Been away for a little while, been looking and looking at the theory.
honestly, feel like it's a little too much for me, that i'm missing things that will get me to a point where i can put this together, i understand what he means with the whole and half step, can't really explaine, it just doesnt make much sense in my head, can't put it together.

But the fretboard notes is going forward, will take me some time to remember it all, but getting better and better to remember where the notes are on the fretboard.

This is what i can get out of it as of right now:
Key is the note that the scale is build on, which would be the same as the root note ?
Root note is the starting note and ending note of the scale ? is this also what's called the (?bass / base?) note ?

I do not know what minor or major means other than it is used when talking about scales ?
Neither do i know what flats or sharps means ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2014, 10:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Jan 9 2014, 12:40 PM) *
I've already been through the Disturbed lesson dude smile.gif It went well, had no issues with it at all.
My practice time hasn't changed that's still fine.
We have a deal sir tongue.gif

Dan

Ah, my bad good Sir! biggrin.gif Please replace the Disturbed lesson with this one - a bit trickier, but helpful nonetheless:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dancehall-Metal-Riffing/

QUOTE (MichaelRdk @ Jan 9 2014, 07:43 PM) *
Hey.
honestly, feel like it's a little too much for me, that i'm missing things that will get me to a point where i can put this together, i understand what he means with the whole and half step, can't really explaine, it just doesnt make much sense in my head, can't put it together.

But the fretboard notes is going forward, will take me some time to remember it all, but getting better and better to remember where the notes are on the fretboard.

Key is the note that the scale is build on, which would be the same as the root note ?
Root note is the starting note and ending note of the scale ? is this also what's called the (?bass / base?) note ?

I do not know what minor or major means other than it is used when talking about scales ?

Hey mate smile.gif I will make a video for you to answer all these questions as it's easier to talk and show rather than write, so stay tuned wink.gif

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Jan 11 2014, 01:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 10 2014, 09:15 AM) *
Ah, my bad good Sir! biggrin.gif Please replace the Disturbed lesson with this one - a bit trickier, but helpful nonetheless:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dancehall-Metal-Riffing/

Hey mate smile.gif I will make a video for you to answer all these questions as it's easier to talk and show rather than write, so stay tuned wink.gif

Thanks man. I'm still having a bit of trouble with the ear side of things though, are ther any other exercises I could try to help?

Dan

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2014, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Jan 11 2014, 12:42 PM) *
Thanks man. I'm still having a bit of trouble with the ear side of things though, are ther any other exercises I could try to help?

Dan

Hey mate smile.gif you could try the following:

- record all the intervals in the C major scale in respect to the root:

C-D, C-E .. C-C and then viceversa - C-C, B-C, A-C.....D-C

But have them scrambled, not recorded in their ascending or descending order

- listen to all of them on your guitar while you play them
- take a break of 15 minutes and then without thinking about the order you have recorded them in, push the play button and try to recognize them smile.gif Let me know how this feels, ok?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2014, 05:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MichaelRdk @ Jan 9 2014, 07:43 PM) *
Hey.

Here you go mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 13 2014, 01:06 PM
Instructor
Anybody else need a schedule? smile.gif

+Quote Post
MichaelRdk
Jan 15 2014, 05:56 AM
Learning Roadie
It is clear smile.gif
Well, the minor and major is a little hard, you say it's distance, but is it the same every time ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2014, 08:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MichaelRdk @ Jan 15 2014, 04:56 AM) *
It is clear smile.gif
Well, the minor and major is a little hard, you say it's distance, but is it the same every time ?

Hey mate smile.gif Glad, I could sort things out for ya - so if you judge based on the distance from the root note, each interval has a fixed distance.

For instance, the minor third is one whole step and one half step up - C (Whole) D (Half) Eb and the major third is two whole steps up - C (Whole) D (Whole) E

Hope I was clear smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Feb 6 2014, 07:42 PM
Hi Cosmin

Started to learn guitar about 4 year ago but through a lot of that time I wasn't practicing.I was always going out on the weekend drinking with friends then sunday I would be recovering.Monday I would be coming in from work still tired and just go to bed. That was 4 days away from not playing guitar so I had a really bad lifestyle. The last year I have changed my lifestyle and become much more healthier and spending much more time on the guitar.

I would place myself a seasoned beginner and feel that level 3 lessons and possibly some level 4 lessons are where I am right now

Very basic. I have being reading through GMC theory and have learned some things.I would really like to increase my theory knowledge

Weekdays 2-3 Weekends I could sit and play most of the day. So I basically have a lot of time to practice smile.gif

Vibrato , pinch harmonics ,sweep picking ,alternate picking

Theory
Tone
Learn to record
timing
bending to pitch
bending vibrato
the list is endless laugh.gif

My only guitar playing has being from my bedroom
* What gear do you own?
Guitars Prs Se custom 24 , Rob Chapman ML2, Schecter Hellraisaer FR and a Fender Squier
Amps Marshall JVM 1W
Recording gear Apple Imac, KRK Rockit 5 monitor speakers and a line 6 GX

Slash, Steve Vai,Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton, Led Zepp, Metallica,Iron Maiden, A7X, BFMV,Sabaton. This is another list that I could continue for a long while

I have recently being experimenting with recording using Pod Farm and emulated out from my amp into reaper.I am trying to find tones that I am happy with.I am also going to download a video software program and try and learn to produce a decent video quality and sound.I have tried using my computers webcam but I did not really like the quality. I am going to buy some lights for recording videos because my room is pretty dark.

I am hoping to be setup within the next week to be able to send you videos of my playing. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2014, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Hello mate!

Thank you for answering the questions - I am honored to work with you, so here are my suggestions regarding a practice schedule fit for your time and needs:

We will focus on applied theory, technique and rhythm as these pretty much encompass the things you mentioned wink.gif

So, I would go for two lessons a week and discussing theory in parallel. We should begin with the Major scale - what do you know about it so far? smile.gif I would like to keep this interactive wink.gif

In Day 1 - 4 -> Spending 4 hrs/ lesson (2 hrs each day - I thought like that as maybe you will need time for other things which you are working on - so it's best to have things set for an 'affordable time minimum' if you wish to call it like that wink.gif) in which you should:

The lessons

Technique: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/ - alternate picking combined with understanding rhythmic subdivisions. it will work wonders on you wink.gif

Rhythm: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/beginner-rock-rhythm/ - something rock n roll'ish to get the juices flowing!

Day 5-6- Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details!

Day 7 - Revision and recording - if you wish - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned from the lessons and of course, it's important to know that you can ask me anything you might want to know, along the way! It is not compulsory to record, but the satisfaction you will get, will be far greater when you are done with a lesson and you have set everything into place with it smile.gif

How does it sound mate?

Cosmin

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:08 AM