Vox Ad100vt Sound Problems, I'm gutted.... Please help me!!!
Jordan C
Feb 1 2008, 08:39 PM
GMC:er
Oh I'm so upset...

I bought an amp secondhand... I played on it and tested it and it all sounded great... cos it is great for my price range... the Vox AD100VT...

I bring it home with a receipt "SOLD AS SEEN & HEARD" written on it...

I plug it in all happy, I play for about ten minutes and then all of a sudden it loses sound... goes crackly and quiet...

Play about with volume control etc nothing...

push and pull pots to make sure there's nowt blocking...

can't get it working... faint farty sounds at best...

Call round friend who is quite knowledgeable in these areas but by no means an expert.

He takes the amp apart and inspects all cable connections, we swap the valve, we try my other guitar and nothing seems obvious as being wrong other than it is now blatantly the amp and not the guitar I bought with it...

Inspection of the circuit board revelas a clutching at starws chance it may be a dry joint so he gets his soldering iron and "resets" the joints on suspicious looking ones.

No result.

Now here's the weird thing, if you push the unit holding the circuitry against the cab then it more often than not works but then you let go and it stops working...

SO we gave up and screwed everything back in position firmly. But tonight I didnt want to give up so plugged amp in willing it to work... it didn't so in frustration I kind of half slapped/half punched near the power switch on the cab and it started to work and continued to do so for about ten mins then stopped.

As with every "solution" we've thought we found the problem and solution but the next time it works it works for a different reason, like now I pressed down near the model selector and it started to work momentarily then farted out of use again.

I'm at my wits end, I can't get my money back and I've been saving for a while for this so I don't want my money to be wasted.... I can't get hold of person I bought it from and if I can't get it sorted and fixed I'm screwed and seriously out of pocket....

Please help, espesh if you ahppen to be near Cambridge UK

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 1 2008, 08:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If same applies in the UK as here in Sweden the seller can't swear himself free from selling a faulty item by stating a thing like "SOLD AS SEEN & HEARD" or "in present condition" as a direct translation of a common expression here.
Doesn't work like that!

He obviously sold you a broken amp and tried to take cover behind stating "as seen and heard".
I'd ask the seller to take it back, if he refuse: If it's a store you turn to your consumer department (maybe even called ombudsman in english, right?) and file a complaint.
If it's sold private you tell the seller to take it back or you file a report to the police for fraud.

Good luck! Don't be afraid to play hard because that's what happened to you, you got played yourself. That's my strongest bet.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 1 2008, 09:33 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 1 2008, 11:50 AM) *
If same applies in the UK as here in Sweden the seller can't swear himself free from selling a faulty item by stating a thing like "SOLD AS SEEN & HEARD" or "in present condition" as a direct translation of a common expression here.
Doesn't work like that!

He obviously sold you a broken amp and tried to take cover behind stating "as seen and heard".
I'd ask the seller to take it back, if he refuse: If it's a store you turn to your consumer department (maybe even called ombudsman in english, right?) and file a complaint.
If it's sold private you tell the seller to take it back or you file a report to the police for fraud.

Good luck! Don't be afraid to play hard because that's what happened to you, you got played yourself. That's my strongest bet.

As far as I'm aware, in Uk law an item must be marked as for "spares or repair" and it must say what is wrong with an item before it can be sold faulty legally. This applies for ebay anyway, so I'm imagining they're correct with the legality of dealing faulty items.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jordan C
Feb 1 2008, 09:40 PM
I'd rather get it working... Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 1 2008, 10:13 PM
I had a look around for you on a few Vox forums and the general concensus seems to be that these amps arent entirely reliable, general advice seems to be that you;

i) Clean the jack sockets
ii) Do a reset to factory settings
iii) Check the warranty or see if you can get it repaired by Vox

I have a similar problem with my smaller amp - 15w of cutting out, crackling and outputting farty noises and for me the problem is a loose jack socket, so I'd say it sounds like something similar for you!

Apologies if you've already tried these options, I'm just throwing something out there!

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jordan C
Feb 2 2008, 11:46 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 1 2008, 09:13 PM) *
I had a look around for you on a few Vox forums and the general concensus seems to be that these amps arent entirely reliable, general advice seems to be that you;

i) Clean the jack sockets
ii) Do a reset to factory settings
iii) Check the warranty or see if you can get it repaired by Vox

I have a similar problem with my smaller amp - 15w of cutting out, crackling and outputting farty noises and for me the problem is a loose jack socket, so I'd say it sounds like something similar for you!

Apologies if you've already tried these options, I'm just throwing something out there!

Good luck! smile.gif

No apolgies needed... thanks for the pointers... It's so frustrating because I have a lump of wood with 2 speakers in it at the mo that's cost me a bomb when it has the potential to be a bloody good amp!!

PS: How do you do a factory reset?

This post has been edited by Jordan C: Feb 2 2008, 11:47 AM

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 2 2008, 01:57 PM
QUOTE (Jordan C @ Feb 2 2008, 02:46 AM) *
No apolgies needed... thanks for the pointers... It's so frustrating because I have a lump of wood with 2 speakers in it at the mo that's cost me a bomb when it has the potential to be a bloody good amp!!

PS: How do you do a factory reset?

Apparently it's in the manual, if you've not got it I'd assume you'd be able to download it as a pdf file off the Vox website smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jordan C
Feb 2 2008, 02:59 PM
nope... didnt work

a bash on the top brought it back to life for the last ten minutes then it cut out again...

unsure.gif unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 2 2008, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (Jordan C @ Feb 2 2008, 05:59 AM) *
nope... didnt work

a bash on the top brought it back to life for the last ten minutes then it cut out again...

unsure.gif unsure.gif

Well at least you know from this that the PSU and the Speaker are working at least, If you cant find a loose connection anywhere then theres not a lot else I can suggest unsure.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jordan C
Feb 2 2008, 08:09 PM
I bet it's a buggered circuit board which means problems given it's the heart of the amp!!

Any ideas on costs of a replacement PCB board?

+Quote Post
Jordan C
Feb 3 2008, 02:39 PM
bump smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 3 2008, 08:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Jordan C @ Feb 3 2008, 02:39 PM) *
bump smile.gif

EDIT: Never mind, it's your broken amp, your desecion, your money. So I deleted my post.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 3 2008, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
Jordan C
Feb 24 2008, 11:08 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 3 2008, 07:51 PM) *
EDIT: Never mind, it's your broken amp, your desecion, your money. So I deleted my post.

Hey... dude I never saw your post... what did it say before you copped a strop tongue.gif (jesting, but I do want to know what it said)

Now here's the weird thing about this amp... I've obviously had it a few weeks now and so I've been trying to figure out a direct cause for the problem and for ages there was nothing consistent enough to be put down as a potential cause.

But then I was playing it for ages and I thought to myself "whay hasn't this cut out yet"... Now I'm on of those players with an LP who plays with the switch in lead position most of the time but as I'd been bashing away on the strings I had inadvertently knocked the switch to rhythm... I thought nothing of this until I switched it to lead again and lo and behold within minutes of playing the amp farted and cut off UNTIL I put the switch back to rhtym and it was playing as it should.

Thinking it may the guitar I get out my other LP copy and the same thing happens. At best you get the full thick sound you should when on rhtyhm or middle setting but when you go lead you get either nothing or a weak and very clean relatively sound.

No issues playing acoustic thru it or a telecaster my friend brought round so what could possibly be causing the issues from lead setting on les pauls?

The closer I get to acause/solution the more confused I am becoming.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:09 PM