2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Quickstar Productions. Scam?
Enucleation
Apr 27 2010, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
My band got an email from this thing saying they liked one of our songs and wanted to put it on a metal compilation CD.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I googled it and some people say they think it is a scam but later people will argue that it is legit.

Im really excited if this is for real but... i dont want to throw away the 220 USD they are asking for.

on a side note, my bands myspace is www.myspace.com/enucleationofficial

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Apr 27 2010, 10:13 PM
Without knowing for sure, my reaction is one of logic:

- Marketing at the scale this company is suggesting requires capital.
- Capital means they don't need money from you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 27 2010, 10:14 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Why are they asking for your money if they want to use your material? Shouldn't you get paid instead or at the least run it on a "paid if income" basis?

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 27 2010, 10:17 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I'd be careful about such things. I have never heard of them, so I can't say if they are trying to ripp you off or if they are really willing to do something, but it sounds strange to me.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 27 2010, 10:30 PM
They gave me a phone number, I will definitely call that.

They are also listed on Itunes and Amazon etc etc...

Here is the message

"Hey,

My name is Danny Bryant, a project manager with QSP Media. We specialize in creating music-marketing campaigns and digital distribution services for small labels and independent musicians. I checked out your page and really liked “One Thousand Orcs ”, and think it would be a great fit for our Metal Mania compilation project.

The music industry is hard to break into, so we’ve designed these compilations as a way for rising musicians to take the next step, getting you some great exposure while connecting you with other artists and future partners. When we organize these compilations we use the strength of numbers to keep costs down and get your music heard, providing services otherwise unavailable or too expensive for unsigned and indie artists.

Here’s the deal:

- We will master your track and produce a retail ready album with a professional CD booklet, barcode and shrink wrapping.

- We will send the CD/Comp Card to our promotional partners at major and indie labels, mainstream, college and internet radio stations and our contacts throughout the industry.

- We will distribute the album digitally, making your music available as a single and a ringtone on over 300 different digital retailers. You get 50% of the proceeds from your track.

- We will send you 50 copies of the CD/Comp Card to sell and make a profit off of or give away to your fans and friends. By selling the CDs, you have the opportunity to make money off of your music while the other artists expose your tracks to a whole new audience.

In return, we ask for our artists to invest in the project. 225 USD covers the cost of the above services and allows you to keep all the rights to your music while we help promote you and get you moving forward with your music career. We do have a couple options to choose from as well, we can swap out the Cd’s for Comp Cards, which are basically a digital version of a Cd. Download cards are the future of the music industry, connecting artists and fans directly to digital downloads, cutting out the need for CDs which get ripped to mp3 players anyway, saving resources and setting you apart from and ahead of other bands. That option is only 99 USD. We can also do both 50 Cd’s & 50 Comp Cards for 300 USD. It’s the most bang for your buck! Let me know your thoughts.

Additionally, a portions of the profits from this album will be donated to “For a Brighter Planet” and the “Go Green Initiative” so you will not only be helping yourself as you grow as an artists, but you will be helping the planet as well!

Please give me a call or reply in email with any questions, and to let me know where you stand with the project. My direct email is Danny @ QSPMedia com , and is definitely a better way to stay in contact. Hope to hear from you soon!

Rock On,"

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 27 2010, 10:39 PM
You could ask for a list of references, then call them and hear what their experience was.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 27 2010, 10:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This sounds very suspicious to me. And I don't see any real benefit in doing this. You can do all that alone by yourself (pay for mastering of 1 track and duplicating on CDs) + distributing to online services. That distribution is nowadays offered everywhere including (reverbnation.com, cdbaby.com etc)...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 27 2010, 10:50 PM
Instructor
if they are legit, and they got a good marketing plan, go for it!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 28 2010, 12:24 AM
Instructor
Try it - you got only 225$ to loose if it's a scam wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 28 2010, 02:50 AM
Instructor
Why would they ask you to pay them for that?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jdriver
Apr 28 2010, 06:04 AM
Ask to see a copy of the contract before you agree to anything.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 28 2010, 06:21 AM
I know lots of "Producers" that do this. It's not always a benefit. You have to think now as a business man. You have a product (totally apart from the song) that sounds good and you think that can catch the atenttion of the people, then go and do it. If you still doubt, then, wait a little bit. If you do things right, things will appear alone wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Apr 28 2010, 06:23 AM
Learning Roadie
The thing I'm wondering here is that if they're serious and honest people, why on Earth would they approach you indirectly (not a meeting): and by e-mail of all the ways possible! It's well-known that e-mail is the place for scams and yet they'd still do something like this... very suspicious.

I suggest you tip off the local police and ask them to run a check (if you trust the police, I know there are places in the world where you can't) on the company. Then you could think about their suggestion: but don't give money away unless you've met them at least once!

+Quote Post
OzRob
Apr 28 2010, 06:28 AM
I've been researching all of this stuff at the moment.

The bottom line is....the real companies who can make things happen don't need your money. They will make the money FOR YOU.

All the rave positive comments you may have found about them are more than likely their own people posing as satisfied clients. If they like you enough to want your work, and they are legitimate, they will not require any money from you. Covering the costs and recouping it is their job. That's why real companies take a percentage of PROCEEDS.

These fluffers trawl through music social sites like myspace, soundclick etc. looking for starry-eyed, starving artists to prey on.

What they're doing is not illegal as such, they may well create a CD and send it a few places and even give you copies. But count on it that they will make it as cheaply as possible, pocket everything above the costs and you will probably never see a benefit.

If you decide to do it, go into it with a mindset that it's a $220 experience (like a skydive) and that if you get anything out of it, it's a bonus.

Ps. Sorry to be a downer. Just don't want to see anyone get burnt.

This post has been edited by OzRob: Apr 28 2010, 08:06 AM

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 28 2010, 10:36 AM
Just thinking; maybe they contact hundereds of bands, charge everone $200 to cover for their work but only 10 songs will make it to the record in the end.
A CD that they will promote in a way that others will do for free or just for the song-bar id cost.
You need to read and understand the contract. It could be legit to do this, 95% of the bands will feel fooled but the contract (that noone reads anyway) will likely work for their cause.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 28 2010, 11:35 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
AFAIK they are legit - more about what they do is here.

Nonetheless I'm not entirely convinced of a need for this or indeed of value for money for you.

From their site they will have 15-20 tracks on a cd and charge each at 220. So they charge 3300-4400 per cd before actually receiving any income from sales.

To put that in to perspective - for 1000 CDs - and lets use 1000 as 20 groups may want 50 copies each.

A good indie mastering engineer usually charges about 1000USD to master a 10-20 track cd (you can get it mastered for a lot less, or pay even more - your choice). This includes the redbook master CDA that is sent to the replication plant. You get to chose the ME and get a say in how your work is mastered. You also get the physical master CDA disc/DDP rather than a replication.

The replication plant charges by volume and can also do all inlay cards/cd box etc. A standard charge here would be 50 cents per cd for a run of 1000. So 500 USD.

If you run independently then you have to formally register as a record label to get your ISRC and for Amazon and a few others you need the bar code as well. ISRC is a one off cost of about 60USD and the barcode about 40 - so 100USD.

So far you have spent 1600 USD for 1000 CDs.

Now you have to distribute. ALL of the distribution here is digital via iTunes/Amazon/Rhapsody download - AFAIK none of these charge to carry your product.

Marketing - (they say they distribute to radio stations and record labels etc but that doesn't seem to provide any real detail on this. Otherwise you distribute the physical copy yourself at gigs.) It's time consuming but not particularly hard to mail your cd to some suitable radio station djs and record label execs/A&R. Iif you need contact info then there is an industry 'yellow pages' type directory which costs about 50 USD - so you mail to 100 at a cost of 100 USD. Cost to market 150USD.

You've spent in total 1750USD for 1000cds and have digital distribution and some marketing.

You also got to chose the mastering engineer as the one you think is best for the job and you now have your own indie record label.

Value for money... Depends largely on whether you think them doing the mailing to radio stations/record labels and upload to itunes etc is worth it.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Apr 28 2010, 11:47 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Apr 28 2010, 01:42 PM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Apr 27 2010, 11:10 PM) *
My band got an email from this thing saying they liked one of our songs and wanted to put it on a metal compilation CD.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I googled it and some people say they think it is a scam but later people will argue that it is legit.

Im really excited if this is for real but... i dont want to throw away the 220 USD they are asking for.

No scam

Hi there ,

its not a scam, they do what they advertise. I had one of my songs published on one of their compilations Link to the song . However what they do is making money not trying to help you with your career. You get some mastering of your track, they put it online on emusic, itunes and what not and they give you a number of CDs. Thats an ok value. I did it because as a rather talent free guy I wanted to have one published song in my live so I was thinking: wooow coool.
Anyway be aware that this is no big favour they do you. They simply want your money. And you could take a song, upload it on a self marketing platform and pay a few bucs to get it on itunes, emusic etc. too. You could even print some CDs for that money. Anyway what they offer you, is to be on a compi with other bands and there seem to be people that buy their compis. I got some feedback from people that bought the compi I am on. That means that you might reach someone. So think about it. If you have money to spare, go ahead. If not, use the self marketing tools on the net and get similar value for way less money.

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Apr 28 2010, 02:42 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 28 2010, 02:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Apr 27 2010, 10:10 PM) *

IMO this is not the right state of mind.
We see Idol shows and think that it will be an over night success, but in reality it is the longevity of the band.
will this help promote your name and will you last long enough to be around?
i don't mean to bring you down ,but most bands are together on average seven years before they break through
Thats the hard part staying married to the band for long enough
if 225 doesn't hurt, do everything to get your name out as often as you can- but stay together

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Apr 28 2010, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
@tonymiro - I think a good analogy is that you can mow your lawn yourself and invest your time to save money or you can pay someone else to mow your lawn, thus saving your time. In the end, you grass still gets cut.

This post has been edited by purple hayes: Apr 28 2010, 03:26 PM

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Apr 28 2010, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 28 2010, 11:36 AM) *
Just thinking; maybe they contact hundereds of bands, charge everone $200 to cover for their work but only 10 songs will make it to the record in the end.
A CD that they will promote in a way that others will do for free or just for the song-bar id cost.
You need to read and understand the contract. It could be legit to do this, 95% of the bands will feel fooled but the contract (that noone reads anyway) will likely work for their cause.

They really put everyone on the CD. They don't rip people off.
The question is if it makes sense on some compilation like this one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:28 PM