Newbie from Jersey
Zealot185
Jan 13 2007, 07:19 AM
GMC:er
Hi!

My name is Dave. I'm an engineering student from New Jersey, and I was looking to pick up a new hobby, so I bought a guitar last month. I've been learning basics from this instructional dvd I bought, but there was only so much I could get out of that, so I was looking to get lessons. Then I came across this site, tried out the free trial, and I'm learning alot so far just from watching the beginner videos, so I'm going to stick around and try it out a little longer.

At this point, I really don't know much about how some guitar gear is better over others, but I have a Squier Strat Pak package (came with guitar and a fender amp), after reading that it's a good beginner set.

I kind of want to get some effects pedals, but I'll probably wait till I'm actually decent at making some noise. Any recommendations for some cheap ones for a beginner like me would be appreciated, though.

As for fave guitarist? Tom Morello. I'm a big fan of RATM/Audioslave.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 13 2007, 02:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Hi! I belive you picked a fun hobby, and taking lessons from day one is very wise. I wish I had done that.

Cheap effect pedals. Either you buy a multieffect that can do everything, like a Zoom for example, or you can get pedals from Behringer, they are cheap and they sound good. I olny have the Behringer EQ pedal myself but I dont regret for one second not getting a Boss.

I think they just copy stuff straight off, like the green colored tubescreamer they call TO800 which is similar to the green Ibanez original TS808. If you read the info about TO800 you'll notice that they description show they use the same chip as the TS808. Other that the same chip and components used and the same color the three knows are aligned in the same way... And the behringer pedal costs 1/4 of the Ibanez... blink.gif

The downside to my Behringer EQ is that it's cover is made of plastic... I doubt that will be a huge success when gigging - your base player would probaby step on it and squash it wink.gif

Their delay pedal is a bit weak though with only 1.3 sec delay time, other brands have like 4 seconds. Other than that I'm sure most will work just fine.

But instead of a multieffect I suggest you go for single pedals for each effect. That's a learning point too, wether to put them in the effects loop, if you got one, or between the guitar and amp and in which order to put them for the best sound.

Pedals I'd get - Delay, Distortion (distortion factory DF7 from digitech maybe is good, it looks versatile), Equalizer (you can use it for a tone boost while soloing)
Besides that there are a bunch of other fun pedals to get :-) A wah maybe.

Hope that helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Jan 16 2007, 05:04 PM
GMC:er
welcome dave. id also check out the digitech rp series

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:56 PM