Looking For New A Guitar Amp, 600-800$ price range
Skewlbuzz
Jan 4 2008, 09:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Heya! happy.gif

I'm looking for a new amp to replace my old (and horrible) Marshall MG15CDR.

I'm mainly gonna use the amp for home practice and band rehearsal, but also some small gigs.
Since I live in an apartment I will really need the amp to have a headphone jack, so I can avoid being kicked out on the street laugh.gif

I have around 800USD at my disposal (keep in mind we're talking european prices :S), so I hope that can get me a nice one.. wink.gif

Though I'm not playing metal I will still be using the distortion channel like 90% of the time. My ultimate amp sound- and distortion-wise is the JCM800, but sadly that won't fit my current situation mad.gif

Currently I got two amps on my mind (both being sold for 800$ at my local store):

Marshall AVT100X (cost nearly the same as the 50watt version)

Peavey ValveKing 212 (cost nearly the same as the 50watt, 1x12 version) dunno if this one has a headphone jack though :/

Atm I lean most towards the ValveKing since it's all tube, but then again I've heard badd stuff about its sound being just like a solidstate amp. dry.gif
If that's true, the AVT100x will probably be a better choice due to smaller size and all the effects.. Also I jsut love the "Marshall" tone.

But maybe there's other amps in my price range that can fight the two mentioned ones? Or maybe I should put more money aside and invest in a great all-tube one? unsure.gif

As you can see I need a little advice and since I don't know much about amps I would really like to hear your suggestions smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2008, 09:19 PM
Instructor
Hey man, whatever you do DONT buy that Marshall 100W combo. I have AVT50X and it sounds much better than that, believe me! Bogdan can confirm that too, since we have one AVT100X in the studio and I play it occasionally when I don't bring my own amp. I bring my AVT50X to rehearsals just because AVT100X sounds very synthetic and non-marshally. You will not get a Marshall sound there trust me.

I too am a big fan of Marshall tone and, knowing all the models, for that money I would definitely recommend a DSL401. You will have a Marshall all tube tone, and believe me 40W of that Marshalls tube power is very very loud. It has a great overdrive channel too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 4 2008, 09:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
+1 on the dsl401 combo, my friend plays this one and it's louder than my avt50x and sounds more Marshall than mine. Both amps are about equal at size, have headphone jacks and are loud enough for small gigs and rehearsals. The clean channel of the dsl401 is so dirty you can almost call it a crunch-channel, the clean channel of the avt50x is way better but still not perfect (Marshalls just don't have good clean channels). The Valveking won't satisfy you because it's more of a Metal-Overdrive, the marshalls are better for rock-stuff.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Jan 4 2008, 09:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanx for the fast response smile.gif

I'm putting the two aside then and gonna look for something else hehe..

Yeah, I've had a look at the DSL401, only problem is that it's more like 1500$ in Denmark :s

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2008, 10:03 PM
Instructor
wow man, thats too expensive... ripoff ohmy.gif

Well, if you choose between AVT100 and AVT50 I would definitely recommend AVT50 because it has a better sound. I've played over 40 gigs with it and it IS good enough for gigs up to say 300-400 people (with good PA system).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 5 2008, 01:02 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
check out the MG100HDFX, love mine although the on board effects are a bit weak. Has frequency damper that gets you closer to tube tone,but not quite

check this link

This post has been edited by skennington: Jan 5 2008, 01:04 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 5 2008, 02:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You should check up what Laneys go for in Denmark and try one that fits your price limit.

EDIT: One of the tube amps that is

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 5 2008, 02:54 AM

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Jan 5 2008, 10:35 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Jan 4 2008, 09:01 PM) *
I'm looking for a new amp to replace my old (and horrible) Marshall MG15CDR.

I'm mainly gonna use the amp for home practice and band rehearsal, but also some small gigs.
Since I live in an apartment I will really need the amp to have a headphone jack, so I can avoid being kicked out on the street laugh.gif

If in Denmark try: Eskildsens
Get a Line6 Spider Valve, Tubes all the way, screaming and Boogner designed Class AB tube amp through (2) 12AX7 preamp tubes and (2) 6L6 power tubes, awesome sound, you can make ANY soundscape with it (read: throw away your old effects) all your adjustments can be saved in 36 different memorybanks, the endless presets makes it ekstremly fun to play when you are bored or if you are to drunk to dail in your own sound, and its LOUD MAN! Have fun cool.gif

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Jan 5 2008, 04:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 5 2008, 02:54 AM) *
You should check up what Laneys go for in Denmark and try one that fits your price limit.

EDIT: One of the tube amps that is

I've tried, but aparently they not being sold in Denmark. :/

I can order from Thomann.de though, but I wouldn't be able to try it out before before I make my descision.

Can you recommend any specific model? Then I can go listen to the soundclips on Laneys site smile.gif

Get a Line6 Spider Valve, Tubes all the way, screaming and Boogner designed Class AB tube amp through (2) 12AX7 preamp tubes and (2) 6L6 power tubes, awesome sound, you can make ANY soundscape with it (read: throw away your old effects) all your adjustments can be saved in 36 different memorybanks, the endless presets makes it ekstremly fun to play when you are bored or if you are to drunk to dail in your own sound, and its LOUD MAN! Have fun

Looks interesting wink.gif But is that really all-tube with all those effects build in? Or are the effects (also distortion) digital? I've never been a big fan of the POD hehe..
Well, I can go check it out in the store when I get some sparetime :]

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: Jan 5 2008, 04:16 PM

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Jan 5 2008, 04:52 PM
Yes its definately All Tube. You can ofcause choose not to use the effects, and use your own. But get the FBV Express foot-switch, and you got a winner.
Good idear to try it out in the Shop though. Also check the Spider-Valve test movies at www.line6.com ...

--------------------

Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Jan 5 2008, 08:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I've managed to get some good offers on the DSL401 and the SpiderValve 212.
I can now get the DSL401 for ~1300USD or the SpiderValve 212 for ~1050USD.

Stumbled across another problem though.. Read on the Line6 support site that the SpiderValve doesn't have an out for headphones sad.gif is there any way to connect my headphones and sort "disconnect" or turn off the speakers?

Also can't figure out if the DSL401 has a headphone-out. But I do know it has a "Speaker Emulated D.I. Out Jack", can this be used for connecting headphones? smile.gif

Going to the store next week, hopefully I'll figure out something more then =]

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Jan 5 2008, 08:56 PM
The Spider Valve does not have a headphone jack.

But you could use a small mixer to take the XLR line out that has speaker emulation for a more realistic tone... An advantage is that the speakers stay on then using the SV line out.
On the other hand if you want the speaker off, then the master is independant from the line out, so if you want the speaker turned off, just drop the master to zero.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 6 2008, 12:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
So you have a little less than 600 Euro to spend?

The thing about using your amp for both home practice and band rehearsal means you'll be moving it aroud a lot, right? Just so you know, tube amps are a bit sensitive about being carries around too much.

A nice setup for band rehearsal that could last you a lifetime woule be a Laney GH50L wink.gif But it's a bit too expensive.

Something that could work for you and almost fit your budget is if you get this cabinet from musicstore.de (competitor to thomann in germany) Fame G1 or a smaller 2x12 may be nicer

The smaller 2x12 would cost you 333E and then you could put that in the rehearsal room and carry Laney LC15R back and forth.

And belive it or not but here you could save a buck by getting it from www.jam.se in Sweden, it's even cheaper than getting it from the UK. 2995 SEK = 315 Euro

A fair guess is that this made to look like Marshall amp will deliver fair enough Marshall sound and 255 Euro + 20 Euro for delivery and you'll have an amp that will last you a few years before you feel like upgrading. And get a V-Amp 2 for 85 Euro to use with headphones in your apartment and for recording. In total 360 E. The original V-Amp came out as a copy of the POD, probably still it so its likely good enough sounding.
Or add 40 Euro for the 50W of the same model. I don't know anything about these Fame amps. I know they had a copy of Laboga Hector out, handwired in Poland or something, and there's a copy out of Peavey JSX and Mesa Boogie Rectifier. The 255Euro models I suggested as a low budget solution are made in China, just like the Peavey Valve King (together 80% of everything in our homes wink.gif )

One more option if you want to start off with something you could build further with and that could work for you now if you have a PA in the rehearsal room is if you get a pre amp, like ENGL E-530 as a brilliant example. Connect it to the PA for band rehearsals, use it at home with head phones, a cabinet, your stereo.
It's only 1,5W power amp.
In the future you can add a power amp to this unit and get a rack effects unit and a large cabinet for a full rig.

+Quote Post
McGoo
Jan 6 2008, 12:49 AM
Have you thought of getting a Pod XTLive and a Spider III 75.
You could get both new for £450 (€601) or better still see what is on Ebay at the moment.
The 75w amp is as loud as you'll need because anywhere you play that needs more volume will have a PA system. The amp does have a headphone jack and I think it has wheels too, that should make moving it between practice and home easier!
I have a DSL 401 but I'm about to sell it because I recently converted to Line6 biggrin.gif
The 401 is a good amp and will be loud enough if you decide to go for that I can assure you (my neighbours can vouch for this too)

--------------------
My current gear;
Gibson Robot Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster '54 Re-issue
Fender Telecaster
Samick Greg Bennett Torino TR3
Takamine EG560C Electric/acoustic
Ovation CSE2258TY Celebrity Double Neck 12/6 String Electric/acoustic
Encore Bass and Kustom KBA10 amplifier
Pod XT Live
Zoom 504II Acoustic
BOSS BR-600 Digital Recorder
Behringer Ultra Tone K900FX 90w Keyboard Amp

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Jan 6 2008, 12:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks alot for all your recommendations smile.gif

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 6 2008, 12:10 AM) *
So you have a little less than 600 Euro to spend?

The thing about using your amp for both home practice and band rehearsal means you'll be moving it aroud a lot, right? Just so you know, tube amps are a bit sensitive about being carries around too much.

Well to be honest money isn't really the problem. I just wanted to limit myself since I don't want to end up buying some big 1500€ amp, which I really have no use for smile.gif
I of course want the best bang for the buck deal that fits my needs hehe..

I will mostly use it at home, but when going to band rehearsals I need a car no matter what size the amp is.
I guess the tubes wont take any damage from this?

Got a lot of amps to try out now thanks to you guys biggrin.gif And once again thanks for the response hehe

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:08 AM