Once Upon A Time, You Were Wrong About Something, ... so tell us what you've learned
jafomatic
Sep 11 2009, 09:20 AM
GMC:er
If we do this right, it should be a really entertaining way to share short stories and (hopefully) learn from each others' mistakes.

Those with formal music education may have a harder time remembering these, but the idea is to share at least one story about an assumption or piece of knowledge you once had, relating to music, that you later found out was wrong. There's no real limit to it, the knowledge could've been about gear, technique, theory, whatever!

The more we participate, the greater chance that we and others will learn something new. I'll start:

1. I had a really loose grasp on intervals until quite recently (january 2009!), the other folks I'd collaborated with and learned from in the distant past were not schooled in music at all. Despite being pretty comfortable with perfect fourth and perfect fifth, I just couldn't make thirds or sevenths add up. I was counting frets and almost convinced myself that the note at perfect fifth was actually the seventh.

2. The other guitarist in my terrible high school garage-rock band will probably not admit this if I ask him, but I'm relatively certain that he believed that a key's tonality (for example, C major) meant that you could only play major chords in that song if you wanted to remain in just one key. I thought for YEARS he was trying to modulate key and that I just wasn't understanding it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2009, 10:26 AM
Instructor
There were so many things I thought wrong when I was starting guitar.. I think ALL of the things I knew back then was kinda wrong I guess biggrin.gif

For example, I really thought that guitar tube amp have some kind of cardboard tubes within, or that you can plug the guitar into anything (like music stereo) and it will sound great, that sort of stuff... not to mention playing.. rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 11 2009, 10:26 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 11 2009, 10:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
I read all the chords like AM7 as a normal 7'th chord with the lower 7.... of course it sounded terrible, but since my ear wasn't trained back then, I ever noticed....

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 6 2009, 10:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This thread seems worth resurrecting.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 6 2009, 10:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I thought I could play guitar without the need of tuning its strings first to certain pitches, I rather tuned them "as I liked it" smile.gif This was at very start, it took me some months to found out (at friends place and on his guitar) why my chords didn't sound like they should and that I actually "knew" how to play hehehe

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Dec 6 2009, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I used to think I was a 'good' guitar player until I recorded myself. unsure.gif

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 6 2009, 11:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Dec 6 2009, 10:55 PM) *
I used to think I was a 'good' guitar player until I recorded myself. unsure.gif

Spot on! I used to think the same, but it didn't stop there.... I was switching guitars, amps, picks, strings and even blamed the tape-recorder and bought a new one.... just to realize that I have to practice..... tongue.gif Nowadays I do have some gear, but its really all in Your hands in my belief....

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 6 2009, 11:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
My band's bassist thinks/thought (I don't know if I convinced him yet) that the key of a song is the same as the tuning the guitar is in.

Myself? There are so many things I don't even remember any specific ones tongue.gif But I'm very glad to come to the point where I know (or can hear) the wrongs in my past. Does make you worried what you will find out one year from now though...

+Quote Post
zen
Dec 7 2009, 12:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
--->> + 1 to the recording comment above. In my ex band, we used to think we were the next big thing, untill we recorded our demo album and sat there looking at each other in SHOCK laugh.gif

--->> Once upon a time, I also used to think if a band is sounding awesome on stage (via the monitors), means that the audience are hearing the same awesome experience.. Soon enough, I learnt the importance of having a sound engineer with the band. You can play the best chops in the world and nail each and every song on stage but it could all go down the drain if your sound is crap and mixed badly for the audience ... Hire a sound engineer .. cant stress enough on the importance of this one for new bands who have started to play gigs... your ability to master the instrument and play in the garage is one thing ... giving a memorable performance goes beyond talent... performing live has some crucial elements that should'nt be missed.

--->> Once upon a time, I used to think that buying expensive gear is going to make me a better guitar player.. I'm glad I didnt entertain that thought for long and stuck to my cheap guitar.

--->> Once upon a time, i used to get impressed with rockstar attitudes in musicians .. This included a lot of them being arrogant, rude, cocky, and full of themselves... I soon realized they were setting a path for their own downfall... A true musician is modest, humble, respectful, and most importantly... a student for life !!

This post has been edited by zen: Dec 7 2009, 01:19 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sentenced
Dec 7 2009, 01:03 AM
Learning Roadie
i used to think, that tapping the foot or counting is something you never really need...until i understood that i just have no clue about the rhythm.

When i started to tap the foot and to count i believed i couldnt learn it because it was so difficult. Now i can handle it depending on the difficulty of the rhythm, so sometimes i still ask myself how to learn complex rhythm best. I gues something between tap and listen a lot.

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Dec 8 2009, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Before I started playing I thought rhythm guitar would be cooler than lead because rhythm got to play all six strings at the same time while the poor lead guy only got to play one note at a time.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 8 2009, 11:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Dec 8 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Before I started playing I thought rhythm guitar would be cooler than lead because rhythm got to play all six strings at the same time while the poor lead guy only got to play one note at a time.

Heheee, good one PH ! I didn't know the difference at all since we got a lousy teacher in English when I began to play the guitar... (I was reading on the album covers though, but did'nt understand it....)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 8 2009, 11:13 PM
i used to think E minor was the only scale known to man (thanks to iron maiden)

but i know a world beyond major and minor!

once you start learning about whole tone scales, melodic minor scales, diminshed scales...it will completely change the way you hear music. i promise you this

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 9 2009, 03:46 AM
Instructor
ahhh what a great thread!
i used to think that midi sucks, that ligther strings sounded better than ticker ones, that floyd roses sucks, that floyd's are great.

the most stupid thing is guess, is that i used to think that playing bass was easy biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Dec 9 2009, 04:41 AM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Dec 6 2009, 10:55 PM) *

I feel totally indentified with this when I was a kid!. The first time I recorded something I said "WHAT!!!??? Is this really me?!!"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:25 PM