Sounds Of The Lydian Augmented Mode, Learn the Chords, Scale, Triads and Arpeggios Built From Lyd Aug
The Professor
Apr 21 2013, 10:00 AM
Theory Instructor
The Lydian Augmented Mode

In this series of articles we will be taking a look at the different sounds that you can build from any mode in the Melodic Minor scale, in particular the chords, scale, triad and arpeggio that go with each mode in the Melodic Minor scale system.

In today’s lesson, let’s take a look at the chords, scale, triad and arpeggio that are built from the 3rd mode of Melodic Minor, the Lydian Augmented Mode.

Besides learning a fingering or two for this important scale, it is good to know the other melodic and harmonic devices that are built from the Lydian Augmented Mode so that you can apply these to your practice routine, as well as build your theory chops so that you recognize when to use the Lydian Augmented Mode in your soloing and song writing.

Here is a quick look at each device from the Lydian Augmented Mode, with further details provided below to read further.

Attached Image

Lydian Augmented Triad and Chords

To begin, there are two main chords that are built from any Lydian Augmented Mode, the augmented Triad and the Maj7#5 chord.

The Augmented Triad is built from the Root, 3rd and #5th note of the Lydian Augmented Mode, and the Maj7#5 chord is built by using the Root, 3rd, #5th, and 7th of the same mode.

Each of these items can be played as a whole, to produce the triad/chord, or they can be plucked one note at a time to produce arpeggiated versions, both of which you saw in the tab/notation example above.

So, in the key of Eb, the augmented triad would be:

Eb G B or R 3 #5 of the Lydian Augmented Scale

And the Maj7#5 chord in Eb would be:

Eb G B D or R 3 #5 7

This knowledge will help you learn to transpose these notes around the neck and into different keys as you learn to build different triads and four-note Lydian Augmented Mode-based chords in all 12 keys.

Theory Exercise

Write out the note for each Augmented Triad and Maj7#5 chord in all 12 keys.

Post your answers below and I will correct them and give you feedback if you are having any trouble writing out the notes of these triads and chords.

Lydian Augmented Scale

The Lydian Augmented Mode is built from the following interval structure:

Whole-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Half

In this pattern, whole equals a whole step (2 frets on the guitar) and half equals a half-step (1 fret on the guitar).

So, if you apply that formula to the key of Eb, as in the example above, you get the following notes.

Eb (W) F (W) G (W) A (W) B (H) C (H) D (H) Eb

Or, you will also see this scale written in numbers as such:

1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7 1

The Lydian Mode, and the Lydian Augmented Mode, are both modes of the Major and Melodic Minor scale systems, they are also very closely related.

This means that you can think of the Lydian Augmented Mode, in theory or on the guitar, as a Lydian Mode with a #5.

So, you can take any Lydian Mode fingering that you know, raise the 5th note by 1 fret (half-step) and you have yourself a Lydian Augmented Mode fingering.

Theory Exercise

Write out the notes of the Lydian Augmented Mode, in all 12 keys.

Post your answers below and I will check them out and post feedback, as well as answer any questions you may have on this scale construction.

Learning the structures behind each mode that you are learning on the guitar can help shore up your theory knowledge, as well as make it easier for you to apply these modes to your solos and song writing as you learn to relate them to chords, triads and arpeggios.

If you have any questions or comments, post them below.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Professor: Apr 22 2013, 12:59 PM

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 21 2013, 11:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
so if you lower the fifth one tone , would it be lydian, and did I miss the lydian thread

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 21 2013, 11:56 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 21 2013, 11:51 AM) *
so if you lower the fifth one tone , would it be lydian, and did I miss the lydian thread

Almost, if you lower the 5th by a 1/2 tone, 1 fret, 1 half-step, then you get Lydian. Here is a link toa ll the theory lessons so far, the Lydian and all the other major modes are in there as well as a bunch of other stuff. Enjoy!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47852

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:30 PM