2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Remembering Amanda, I'm Jazzy and proud!
Andrew Cockburn
May 8 2007, 10:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Well, my fellow GMCers, I've been living a lie ... for many years I have been playing rock like a good guitarist, but every so often I would hear some Jazz playing, and feel a strange attraction. I knew that any decent metal player would think I was wierd and twisted, so I kept it hidden ... one day about 3 months ago, I couldn't stand it any more, and I had to express myself, so I wrote and recorded this song, a kind of BossaNova/Jazz piece. I felt ashamed and hid it from all of you for fear of what you all as true metal and rock fans would say ...

But today, we got a Jazz instructor, and I now feel its time to end the secrecy and expose my inner jazziness, so here it is - Remembering Amanda

smile.gif

Its a little self indulgent at 6 minutes long but I was aiming for a cross between George Benson and Carlos Santanna - hope some of you enjoy it !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Remembering_Amanda.mp3 ( 8.63MB ) Number of downloads: 416

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
May 8 2007, 10:41 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hey Andrew. I like it buddy. Its got a chilled vibe to it, very santana es-que! Keep up the good work, i like the recording quality as well smile.gif

Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by benhowell: May 8 2007, 10:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jete124
May 8 2007, 10:48 PM
GMC:er
Very well done, and it has a nice vibe to it.

This post has been edited by jete124: May 8 2007, 10:48 PM

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 9 2007, 02:05 AM
very nice andrew very good job biggrin.gif, and dont be scared to post different things, thats whats so nice about gmc, we can have all different styles of play biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Gaelan
May 9 2007, 03:07 AM
HOORAH!

Maaaannn, this is just what I needed to hear after a wound up day at work. Now I am all mellowed out, feeling good and wanting to learn!

Love the groove. I'm all beeboppin around now

absatively posolutely fantabulous! **grins**

G.

--------------------
wanna save more money for gear?
Check out the site your cell phone company doesn't want you to see!
http://www.gaelansplace.info

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 9 2007, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys, I appeciate your kind words - my jazziness is here to stay - I'm already working on my next jazzy number smile.gif

Still practicing sweeps and alt picking though ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Layzer
May 9 2007, 09:02 AM
ahh..love it, i was in jazz band way back in middle school and it made me appreciate most jazz. love your tone too! Specs on guitar and amp\recording?

EDIT: wow your specs are right under your posts woops!

This post has been edited by Layzer: May 9 2007, 09:02 AM

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Robin
May 9 2007, 09:40 AM
This is AMAZING! Did you make/record all this by yourself? This was really, really good.
And if any metal fans think its stupid to play jazz just tell them to go fu*k themselfs cool.gif

I'm not really that into jazz, I listen alot to Coltrane though, I love him. But I have always thought jazz was cool. Atm I got so many new bands to check out so the jazz will have to wait tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 9 2007, 10:08 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Out of the closet, a Jazz dude smile.gif

Very good Andrew!! I'm also impressed with your perfectly clean and balanced recordings, no disturbing buzz or hum. Have you got a studio or an isolated room or is it that your Line6 Pod has a good noicegate?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 9 2007, 12:51 PM
QUOTE (Layzer @ May 9 2007, 04:02 AM) *
EDIT: wow your specs are right under your posts woops!

laugh.gif Yeah, I used my variax on one of the semi-acoustic models to get that tone - glad you liked it!

QUOTE (Robin @ May 9 2007, 04:40 AM) *
This is AMAZING! Did you make/record all this by yourself? This was really, really good.
And if any metal fans think its stupid to play jazz just tell them to go fu*k themselfs cool.gif

I'm not really that into jazz, I listen alot to Coltrane though, I love him. But I have always thought jazz was cool. Atm I got so many new bands to check out so the jazz will have to wait tongue.gif

Thanks! Yeah, put it all together with Cubase and a load of plugin instruments ... played the lead and rythm guitar of course smile.gif

QUOTE (MickeM @ May 9 2007, 05:08 AM) *
Out of the closet, a Jazz dude smile.gif

Very good Andrew!! I'm also impressed with your perfectly clean and balanced recordings, no disturbing buzz or hum. Have you got a studio or an isolated room or is it that your Line6 Pod has a good noicegate?

Hi MikeM - one great thing about the Variax Guitar is that it has Piezo pickups, so it never picks up any hum at all. When I record my strat, yes I use the Pod Noise Gate. Pluse it helps that there was little gain on the clean sounds I used here.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: May 9 2007, 12:51 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
J.E.M
May 9 2007, 02:39 PM
Very nice Andrew!

Good recording and clean sound,had to shake my body little while listening biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 9 2007, 04:48 PM
Instructor
I just listened to your jazzy thing Andrew - it was great - totally relaxed me! Nice job m8! You also have nice sound there!!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 10 2007, 08:06 AM
GMC Founder
Quality stuff - hope see more of it! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 10 2007, 08:16 AM
Lets go fishing!
I feel like getting up and doing my Salsa dance too this blink.gif Ive said to much.

Great Job Andrew, I will listen to this alot !!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
May 10 2007, 08:55 AM
laugh.gif Sounds great!

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
andrei.sz
May 10 2007, 09:34 AM
heyy !!!
great song man.
i alsow did a jazzy song a couple of days now, but i'm not,yet, able to put it together with the drums and stuff, 'cause i'm working on it with fruity loops, and i don't have to much samples...so it's a litle hard.

any way great jazzy song Andrew biggrin.gif

Cheers.

+Quote Post
ezravdb
May 10 2007, 03:25 PM
wow well doen andrew!
im impressed!
I hope I'll have the time/money to buy cubase and a effectporcessor smile.gif

QUOTE (ezravdb @ May 10 2007, 04:24 PM) *
wow well done andrew!
im impressed!
I hope I'll have the time/money to buy cubase and a effectprocessor soon smile.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 12 2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments - we are a very eclectic bunch I think !

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Kaneda
May 12 2007, 01:22 AM
Other side of the coin
Great song, Andrew smile.gif Classy, really swinging quality to it - it really is hard to keep still while listening. Maybe I should consider a Variax to supplement the classic electrics, since I already have the PodXT Live. You get a great, cool sound out of that one cool.gif

And finally I got that "America" tune out of my head wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 12 2007, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (Kaneda @ May 11 2007, 08:22 PM) *
Great song, Andrew smile.gif Classy, really swinging quality to it - it really is hard to keep still while listening. Maybe I should consider a Variax to supplement the classic electrics, since I already have the PodXT Live. You get a great, cool sound out of that one cool.gif

And finally I got that "America" tune out of my head wink.gif

Glad you liked it - maybe I should rename it "Rememberig America" smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:01 AM