Bad Gibson Bridge Sound/ Callaham Replacement
Jasonius
Sep 4 2010, 06:44 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone
I have a 2006 Firebird V that developed a bad sitar twang on the G and B string. I thought it might be the nut, but it was doing on fretted notes as well. I tried cleaning up the saddle slots and putting on new strings but it was still bad. I play blues and rock on fairly clean settings, so it was quite noticeable.
I'd heard about Callaham ABR-1 bridges made out of billet steel and decided to try one. http://www.callahamguitars.com/abr1.htm The bad buzzy sitar sound is gone. The bridges are made in Virginia,USA, and sell for $130.00 USD.
The big difference was in the overall tone and sustain. I don't have a great ear, but even I can tell it's better.
It was a fairly easy job and I thought I would share this in case someone else is having the same problems.
I now see that this is more of a review and I should post it in the proper place in the forum.

The Gibson stuff

The Callaham bridge

The saddle adjust screws are on the front side. I likey

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jasonius: Sep 4 2010, 09:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 5 2010, 12:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So this modification was just the bridge and saddles? It looks like the post size is the same so fairly simple to install? The billet should be a more precisely made piece for starters. Do you have before and after tone samples? Thanks for posting!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Jasonius
Sep 5 2010, 05:10 PM
Yes it was just the bridge, saddles, and posts. Just the stuff shown in the first two pictures. The stop tailpiece is still original.

The only tricky part of the swap was pulling the original Gibson post bushings out of the body. I left the post with the thumbwheel screwed into the bushing. I then improvised a puller with two tablespoons and two pieces of a pencil eraser under the spoons to protect the finish. The erasers also give the spoons the height off the body to provide the leverage needed.

It's a good idea to score the finish around the bushing with an exacto knife in case some of the finish decides to come off with the bushing.
I put an 8mm deep drive socket over the new Callaham post and tapped it in with a hammer (gently).

Unfortunately I didn't make any before or after recordings. I've never recorded anything and need to get going on that. I'm sure if I look, I'll find the info I need here at GMC.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 15 2010, 05:47 AM
Callaham is a first rate operation, very cool to deal with and he really really knows what he's talking about. You can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:16 PM