Upgrading My Gear In Various Fronts, Speaker, pickups, tubes?
mhskeide
Sep 12 2010, 08:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Howdy

I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade at least on of the pickups in my Ibanez S classic. When turning up the gain for some heavy leads, the neck pickup doesn`t respond clearly. I am not particularly dissatisfied with my bridge pickup, but it wouldn`t hurt with a bit more "punch", so I am thinking about changing the bridge as well.

I am playing various genres of music, so it must be versatile. That said, my preferences lies within hardrock / metal, for instance Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Satriani, Jorn, Audrey Horne, Clutch, AcDc. My setup gain-wise is a Peavey classic 30, with a digitech tube overdrive in the front for cranking the gain.
About the peavey, I have heard that it is a typical trebly amp. I have found a pretty decent tone with my mahogany Ibanez, but with my swamp ash strat it`s WAY too trebly when I put some distortion to it. The current speaker is a blue marvel 12", so my question here is:could I get some more bass and mids and maybe less treble by changing to for example a Celestion vintage 30 speaker?

Back to pickups:
I have moved to another city now, and the guitar shop here deals dimarzio pickups. So currently it`s either Dimarzios or BareKnuckle. I have thought about the classic Tone Zone/ Air Norton, the PAF-pups and the mojo...and with BKP I`m not so familiar. I have also heard that Kent Armstrong deliveres very good pups? Any ideas or suggestions here? I live in Norway, so it will probably be expensive anyways, so money is not a biggie.

And final question: Could I change the tone more towards my wanted tone by chaning the tubes to some other brand? Not quite sure how this works, I just know that the amp is over a year old with stock tubes, so I planned to change.

thanks for all input and advices smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 12 2010, 10:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You may want to consider investing in the Blackstar HT-DISTX pedal to use as your source of distortion, because as far as I know the Classic 30 isn't exactly meant to play metal. The HT is a tube driven distortion pedal, and from the demos I've heard its pretty brutal.

As far as your chain of sound - i.e. your pickups, tubes, and speakers - the speakers will most likely offer the biggest change in tone, followed by the pickups and lastly the tubes. With that being said, from my experience the Ibanez stock pickups can be a little brittle, so changing them for a higher quality pickup would be a good choice. If I had to choose between the Dimarzios and the Bareknuckles, I would go with the Bareknuckles, they're just bad ass. ZakkWylde has a pair of them, he can fill you in it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 12 2010, 10:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
To me it sounds like you are not really satisfied with the overall amp...
I would rather try a whole diffrent amp because you might end up upgrading your peavey with other speakers and tubes and it still does not deliver what you want!

As for pickups you could try the DiMarzio Paf pros (rock tone, can do metal and stuff with a highgain amp) or you could try the good old Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck/59 (sh4/sh1) combo. If it comes down to Bareknuckles, you would be best of with a Nailbomb set or maybe a Nailbomb bridge and a Cold Sweat Neck (more fluid tone).

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 14 2010, 01:34 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 12 2010, 11:28 PM) *
To me it sounds like you are not really satisfied with the overall amp...
I would rather try a whole diffrent amp because you might end up upgrading your peavey with other speakers and tubes and it still does not deliver what you want!

As for pickups you could try the DiMarzio Paf pros (rock tone, can do metal and stuff with a highgain amp) or you could try the good old Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck/59 (sh4/sh1) combo. If it comes down to Bareknuckles, you would be best of with a Nailbomb set or maybe a Nailbomb bridge and a Cold Sweat Neck (more fluid tone).

I think I will be trying the BKP-set, with nailbomb and cold sweat. I also had an idea which I think can be cool: A black or zebra pup in the bridge, and a aged-gold cover on the neck-pup. I know that pickupcovers changes the tone slightly, but it is very noticable?

Another thing, what would you recommend between Alnico V and ceramic magnets? Am I right if I say that ceramics are more harsher sounding, while the alnico are more fat and round? I saw in another forum that someone liked alnico because they were warmed, and in the same thread someone said that ceramic was more harmonic sensitive, and that ceramic pickups sounded more "musically"?
I am going down to a pretty huge music store tomorrow, hopefully I can test some guitars with the different types smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 14 2010, 08:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
The pickup cover makes a slight diffrence in tone but the bareknuckle pickups are wound diffrently when you order one with a cover to compensate that change of tone!

Ceramic magnet sound tighter, clearer, harsher and more trebly and they give out more output
Alnico V sounds warmer, bassier, more dynamic, less compressed

It all comes down to how they are wound. There are Alnico pickups that sound way tighter than some ceramic pickups!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Sep 14 2010, 08:30 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:27 AM