Crazy Moves!
SonofDestiny
Aug 25 2008, 09:12 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I'm really into bands who really move around on stage. Jumping, kicking, running. How the hell do they keep on playing if they do stuff like that? How do you practise that? Are there any things I have to pay attention to?

Do you know any videos I may wanna watch to steal some cool ideas from?

I really think this is important to a performance and I really wanna be able to do this, so thanks in advance! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 25 2008, 10:20 AM
Instructor
hehe, I really love this kind of bands !!! well, it's difficult to practice it... but how about to play and jump a tempo ?? hehe, sounds weird but it will help a lot smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 25 2008, 10:31 AM
Instructor
I think that those guitarists first practiced a lot at home just like we do. After they played their material thousands of times and felt 100% confident, jumping on stage isn't that big problem.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Aug 25 2008, 11:35 AM
Hmm allright smile.gif

Who do you guys think has the best moves?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 25 2008, 11:44 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Aug 25 2008, 11:35 AM) *
Hmm allright smile.gif

Janick Gers- he's mental on stage!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 25 2008, 11:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
Just practice walking and standing. Play in front of a mirror and do some posing.

My favourite guitar moves:

-Upright guitar Solo by Zakk Wylde
-Playing behind your head: Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Claudio Sanchez(Coheed and Cambria) and many more
-Extremely hyperactive behaviour: Angus Young, Scott Ian (Anthrax)
-The Helicopter: Alexi Laiho and Juan M. Valero!!! (He does it so ask him to do a lesson)
-Extreme/Rotor Headbanging: Kerry King, Jason Newsted
And my favourite, the 360 jumpkick by Marc Rizzo!!!!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 25 2008, 12:12 PM
Instructor
This is a great point! I think it does add alot to your live show...well depending on the style of music you're playing:)
Emir put it best, You have to be so comfortable with your riffs/parts first, so comfortable you can do a 360 while still playing the riff:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 25 2008, 12:27 PM
Singing Instructor
every thing is practiced to perfection,and so well executed.I watched some Pantera home video,where bassist is drinking like 3 bottles of some thing just before the show(he is dead drunk smile.gif ),bnut when he hits the stage,nothing played like a good.So I think that there is a lot of practice and experience of course.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 25 2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 25 2008, 12:51 PM) *
Just practice walking and standing. Play in front of a mirror and do some posing.

-Upright guitar Solo by Zakk Wylde
-Playing behind your head: Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Claudio Sanchez(Coheed and Cambria) and many more
-Extremely hyperactive behaviour: Angus Young, Scott Ian (Anthrax)
-The Helicopter: Alexi Laiho and Juan M. Valero!!! (He does it so ask him to do a lesson)
-Extreme/Rotor Headbanging: Kerry King, Jason Newsted
And my favourite, the 360 jumpkick by Marc Rizzo!!!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif yeah, I love doing those things, but I'm not sure I can do a lesson !!! biggrin.gif

Anyway I love Janick Gers, he is the man !!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:00 PM
Instructor
People that jump on stage make mistakes if they haven't practiced or done quite a few times to jump and play - that's about it wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well you practice it either home or on stage (second option is not that recommended but also not impossible)...People tend to make mistakes (John Frusciante for example)..Just jump around the house and play , try to get in the mood..
In my opinion jumping always takes away some playing precision etc so you need to balance your stage act and playing where you satisfy both criteria.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Aug 25 2008, 02:51 PM
Instructor
What about Steve Vai, he does all kinds of moves on stage. Take those insane guitar licks and try to play them the way he does, don't know how he does it, to play his stuff you need concentration, yet he plays it like it is the easiest thing on earth. I guess he achieved that by practicing 10 hours a day sitting and then playing live for many years.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 25 2008, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Aug 25 2008, 12:35 PM) *
Hmm allright smile.gif

ANGUS YOUNG AND CHUCK BERRY!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Aug 25 2008, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 25 2008, 04:34 PM
Not a axe slinger, but David lee Roth of Van Halen

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 25 2008, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 25 2008, 06:51 AM) *

More obscure, but fun....Aaron North, formerly of NIN's live show. One thing he'd do is lay his guitar on top of the 4x12 cab, then do a handstand on it. He also does this thing where he'll hold a chord/note and swing his guitar around by the neck with his left hand like a sword or something. Kinda nutty.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 25 2008, 07:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Aug 25 2008, 05:34 PM) *
Not a axe slinger, but David lee Roth of Van Halen

Really great frontman !!! this man is really crazy !!!

here with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP12su7JooM

look carefully at 2:00 and 3:16 blink.gif

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Aug 25 2008, 08:02 PM
Hahah I really wanna see the instructors do some moves tongue.gif Maybe do a collab on moves biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 25 2008, 09:44 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Aug 25 2008, 03:02 PM) *
Hahah I really wanna see the instructors do some moves tongue.gif Maybe do a collab on moves biggrin.gif

I'd be surprised to see any of the instructors willing to try to top some of the stuff that's out there of Kris already. I know from the "You Ready" video that there are willint GMC students at least.

I'm not really into "performing" while I play yet. I'm having a hard enough time making the transition from sitting to standing while playing, I don't need to add complexity of moving around to the mix.

I think every time I've seen an interview about stage moves from a big guitarist, they talked about how they just did it in their room, and frequently emulated someone else. Angus emulates Chuck Berry, Scott Ian emulates Angus, etc....I'm sure there's someone out there in a modern metal band that's running around like Scott does.

I've shot a couple of short videos of my playing in the last couple weeks for a project and I was surprised by what I saw. One of the nice things about the digital age is cameras are relatively cheap and it's pretty eye opening seeing yourself play from a camera's point of view in 30-fps high definition glory...

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:28 PM